Installing an Electric Car Charger - What Could Go Wrong??

I already feel bad for the electrical chicken and I'm 1 min in.

6:30 and I'm really feeling bad.

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'd call these install videos very silly and pretty bundy, but in reality its exactly how I would go about installing one too. Although I just put in a caravan charger and used the adapter that comes with the car. 

Wait what happened with Linus' cats? :-( Are Rocket and Rumble both missing?

6 minutes ago, Stefken89 said:

Wait what happened with Linus' cats? ? Are Rocket and Rumble both missing?

Rocket's probably dead, happened on  Oct 14, 2017 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Wait if the Blue cable is capped at both ends, why can you not just remove it entirely?

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

If there's 240V available why do they still use 120V outlets? I could pull 20A and 3400W out of a single outlet, it also depends on the wire thickness tho

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

The wall charger that comes with 2nd Gen Volt actually supports 240V charging @ 12A. I installed a 240V receptacle in my garage and got my Volt fully charged from empty in 4.5 hours with the stock charger, which only cost me $50. The Volt can only drain 15A so that a 6kw charger doesn't improve much.

Charging central and nothing flammable? What are the cables, all the plastic, the mass amounts of batteries in those units around it? The freezer (the plastic plug seen in the video, along with the lids handle and rubber gasket), that chair looks fairly flammable too, and whats that? Paint! Oh yea that's totally flame resistant...

That Door behind you looks fairly flammable too... So does the shelf, the stuff on the shelf... The boxes assuming you forgot them there, totally not flammable...

But hey, that's just a theory...

3 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Wait if the Blue cable is capped at both ends, why can you not just remove it entirely?

You wanna remove a cable from a pre-installed device?

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck

They are trying to go 120 route, and not do 240. Seems like a filler video to save some money and gain more profit. The 120V chargers are a dime a dozen, compared to the 240V chargers because they give out more amps, and more amps means more wattage and more wattage means a faster fully charge time. Waiting hours to charge when you can charge in half the time is a no brainer.

Just saw that you you bought a Chevy Volt. Have had mine for about a year. Basically the same car. I absolutely love it. I thought my plates might make someone laugh.

20180313_111729.jpg

8 hours ago, robinli said:
The wall charger that comes with 2nd Gen Volt actually supports 240V charging @ 12A. I installed a 240V receptacle in my garage and got my Volt fully charged from empty in 4.5 hours with the stock charger, which only cost me $50. The Volt can only drain 15A so that a 6kw charger doesn't improve much.

Actually for 2019, the Volt can finally suck 7.2KW up from 3.3KW(2011-2015)-3.6KW(2016-2018).  AND ERDTT (Engine Running Due To Temperature (15F/35F temp options)) has always been a lie that it is for safety reasons to defog the windows faster, because the electric heat does it fine. The 2019 you can set it to around -15F before the engine will come on, and the electric cabin heat isn't any more powerful (5-6KW) than previous years. 

5 hours ago, RockyRZ said:

You wanna remove a cable from a pre-installed device?

'pre-installed device' is a bit of a grand term for the power cable. Its not connected at either end they're clearly not using it in this application, if able to pull it through, personally I would simply delete it altogether. 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1:30 Just to be clear, that is not a charger, it is an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). The charger is inside the car and is liquid cooled. 
Siemens is a great brand. I bought a whole-house surge protectors that is Siemens. But that EVSE does not have WIFI, you cannot see what it is doing with your phone nor look at the history of charging sessions to see if it comes on to heat and cool the battery pack for instance or look at total energy used. Something a nerd would love!
The Juicebox does and can supply 10KW not just 7.2KW. though, you are most of the way there at 7.2KW and pretty much no EVs support 10KW L2 charging yet, besides Tesla. L1=120v L2=240V L3=direct DC fast charge.

Love my blue 2013 Chevy Volt with 150K miles on it.

Oh, and yes u can convert the stock EVSE that comes with the car to 240V 15A

Edited by danwat1234

Seeing Linus scramble around to prove his DIY chops is definitely not something we normally see, acted or not I agree this was a really good vid :D 
I remember commenting on the LTT Instagram post for this, and wondering if they'd use the 'pre-installed access hole' that Dennis created...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

It's so funny when people from American region "upgrade" their power to 240V. Hello from Europe where that's a default power standard (ok, it ranges from 220-240V) :P 

230V at 16A (typical high power single phase output socket) is over 3600W of power. US and Canada run at 120V which makes it only slightly over 1900V (do you guys run like stupid high amperages to get same output wattage in high wattage appliances like water boilers and heaters?). We also have significantly higher efficiency in most stuff, even with computers. Just look at PSU efficiency at 120V and 230V... I don't think any more people get killed by electricity because of doubled voltage because frequency of mains in Europe is 50Hz which is considered slightly safer for heart failure when electrocuted than 60Hz. We also run lower amps because we have higher voltage and it's the amps that kill, not voltage itself. Any benefits of 120V that countries are sticking with it other than impossibility to transition to 230V because so many things run on 120V that it's simply impossible to transition now?