Using Folding@Home as an Alternative Heater

So! I live in a small 420 sq foot apartment and since the temperature has started to decrease, instead of running my furnace, I decided to start folding@home. Not only has this allowed me to basically turn off my AC/heating, but it has kept me apartment nice and toasty! I got home from work the other day and it was 78 degrees F, had to crack the window!
If you were reluctant to run Folding@home before, think of all the money you can save (or use alternatively on computers power cost) to heat your home!

Please, if anyone else uses this to heat their apartment/home, share your story!

the only problem here its much more expensive to use reistive heat from a computer or other reistive heater, than a gas furnance or a heat pump. But if it works for you, thats cool

Well, I'm totally not thinking I'm ACTUALLY saving money, but it gives me enough of an excuse to do Folding@home for the winter, which is a good cause. But the way you worded it does sound much more sciency =D

Depends on your cost of electricity. Where I live in Canada it averages out to about 13 cents per KWh. I look at the 400W or so I’m outputting now as preheating the intake air for my mid efficiency Natural Gas furnace ?

I estimate my electricity costs for Folding 24x7 to be about $38/mo. Our heating season here is about 8 months so the wate heat from folding is offset by the decreased work required by the furnace. We have about a 2 month range in the summer when the A/C needs to be run so that waste heat needs to be included and 2 months where the heating and A/C is off. So, in all for about 6 months of the year I would guesstimate that about 50 - 70% of the heat from folding is offset by the savings in Gas.

Granted that electric is always more expensive than Gas or Diesel for Heating, in Canada, compared to Europe and some parts of the States, Electricity is not that expensive.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

I live in the overly big headed state of Texas, so electricity cost isn't too bad here. I pay somewhere between $0.13 to $0.14 per kWh.  I've heard of someones costs going all the way up to the thirtys cents per kWh in different areas.... that would suck.

Yeeeees i am in Germany and i pay ~0,30$ per kWh 

this is due to the switch to renewables here. Well I support renewables but yeeeze there expensive 

but still: I am in folding! Tomorrow the final tuning will be Domen and then I’ll leave it running for the whole month straight 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I live in a large 4 bedroom house but I spend 90% on my time in Just one room, so instead of heating the entire house with gas I just fire up a few computers in the rooms that I use, namely my bedroom and the kitchen. It works out far cheaper and helps them Stanford folks. Also during the mining crisis I mined and basically got paid to heat my home!  

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

37 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Yeeeees i am in Germany and i pay ~0,30$ per kWh 

this is due to the switch to renewables here. Well I support renewables but yeeeze there expensive 

but still: I am in folding! Tomorrow the final tuning will be Domen and then I’ll leave it running for the whole month straight 

Owch! Though if that was the price to go to renewables I'd probably just eat the cost. Renewable energy is still pretty subsidized here in the states so the cost isn't too different.

37 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I live in a large 4 bedroom house but I spend 90% on my time in Just one room, so instead of heating the entire house with gas I just fire up a few computers in the rooms that I use, namely my bedroom and the kitchen. It works out far cheaper and helps them Stanford folks. Also during the mining crisis I mined and basically got paid to heat my home!  

Thats smart! In Japan, a lot of homes have a heater in the main living area of a home only because that is where the family will meet and congregate, when they go to their rooms, they typically will huddle up in bed/futons and so it being a bit cooler is not a big deal.

For myself, I live in an efficiency, so its ALL just one room ;-P. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off the folding today because it was warm out today and it got to like 85 in my apartment.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:48 PM, Kiyometa said:

Owch! Though if that was the price to go to renewables I'd probably just eat the cost. Renewable energy is still pretty subsidized here in the states so the cost isn't too different.

Yeah. My hometown in Tx is *"100% renewable" running at ~14c /kWh.

*heavily subsidized and drawing from external grids.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

4 hours ago, Imbellis said:

I'm really surprised its still subsidized right now, would have thought that would have been cut by now by sitting president.

Edit: Err, not go to off track, sorry.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:06 AM, Imbellis said:

I pay £0.136/kWh for 80% renewable power here.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240