PC won't boot with video card installed

MartinoLopez

Hi everyone,

Just had a new issue develop with my PC. It's been running fine in its current configuration for a couple of months now. Just had a BSOD and the computer wouldn't switch on afterwards.

I've tried isolating the issue and have discovered that when I remove the graphics card it will switch on, though I can't read the POST screen obviously so I'm not too sure what it's doing, but the fans light up and spin as normal.

I've tried putting the graphics card into the PCI-E 4x slot but it still won't start.

Any ideas? Here's my specs:

GIgabyte GA-P55A-UD3

Xeon x3440

2x8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3

Asus RX 570

Corsair RM550x PSU.

Thanks

Did you try a CMOS reset?

do you have an other GPU available to test with?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

8 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Did you try a CMOS reset?

do you have an other GPU available to test with?

Hi Metallus,

I have tried the reset the CMOS but it doesn't seem to have helped. Sadly this is my only GPU. Do you think that it might be the issue? At first I thought maybe the PSU had gone, but everything still lights up without the Graphics Card installed and even the lights next to the 8-pin connector itself light up when it is installed, but the system just won't fire up.

I've done a bit more investigating and I've noticed that when I try to boot the computer with the graphics card in the PCI-E slot, there is a sort of whirr/click from the PSU, and then nothing. Sometimes the case fan spins sort of 1/8th of a rotation but not always. Otherwise, when hitting the power switch without the graphics card installed, it fires up and all the fans spin as normal.

Any ideas really appreciated guys...

Edit: Ok guys another development. I tried installed the card into the PCI-E slot and booting it with just the 2 pin connector attached (rather than the 2+6 Pin) and the computer does fire up. Still no image being displayed on screen though. Any thoughts??

9 hours ago, MartinoLopez said:

Edit: Ok guys another development. I tried installed the card into the PCI-E slot and booting it with just the 2 pin connector attached (rather than the 2+6 Pin) and the computer does fire up. Still no image being displayed on screen though. Any thoughts??

PSU is dead. It can support the load for one of the PCie plugs but not two. Therefore your GPU won't post due to low power 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂