Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newly built PC turns on for a few seconds then turns off/cycles (no POST in that time)

e1sewhere

Hi all and thanks in advance for the help. 

Problem: when I turn the PC on, nothing comes up on any monitor (both monitor or TV; working off of either iGPU or GPU), and the unit itself is on for about 5 seconds before turning off, then turning on again (and cycling thusly until I shut it off completely). 

Pics of the MoBo/Case

Specs:

CPU - AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor

MoBo - ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (has integrated GPU)

RAM - G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

GPU - MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card

Case - Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU - SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Storage - ADATA - XPG 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

-PC parts were compatible/went through consultation before buying everything;
-I've ensured everything was done correctly according to this post (and read the requisite TS threads here);
-all 3 fans (2 case fans, 1 cpu fan) turn on, for whatever that's worth;

-neither the top power button LED (on the case), nor an older internal speaker I put in to hear beeps/alert sounds seem to work (I hear no noises in all cases);
-all connectors are snuggly in (8pin, 20/24pin);
-tried with and without GPU;

-made sure that only metal standoffs holding the mobo down are being used (case has 9 spots, I'm only using 4 to fit mobo size);
-CPU is inserted correctly (golden triangle), no plastic cover, fan screwed in properly overhead;
-RAM snug in (A2/B2 slot on this mobo, consulted before ensuring which slots to try);
-before posting, took everything apart and put it all back together to no avail...

As trial and error, I've tried:

(1) Taking everything out, putting everything back in at least twice --> NOTHING (meaning, no POST, just turns on for 5 sec then turns off/cycles)

(2) Taking out GPU, keeping it in, using iGPU, different monitors, etc --> NOTHING
(3) Resetting the CMOS: I did this by taking out the battery, holding a flathead screwdriver on the jumper on the mobo for about 5 minutes, then putting the batteryback in.  --> NOTHING

(4) Taking out both sticks of RAM, keeping one in, having both in, etc --> NOTHING

(5) Took out the 8pin connector but kept in the 20/24 pin connector --> SOMETHING ---> when I did this, the PC stayed on. However, no POST, nothing came up on any monitor. 

I came across this post that seems to suggest an issue with some MoBos / Ryzen 2700s out of the box...a friend of mine suggested I buy a Ryzen 5 CPU, install it, use it to "update the bios" (I think that's the phrase he used) and then install the Ryzen 7 as was done by the person who posted in that reddit thread...

HELP PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

4 minutes ago, e1sewhere said:

suggest an issue with some MoBos / Ryzen 2700s out of the box

that wouldnt cause a power cycle constantly

assemble the machine without the case and see if that keep the psu from shorting

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

assemble the machine without the case and see if that keep the psu from shorting

Is this "breadboarding?" (If so, I have done so to no avail). I can do it again to follow your advice, but I also wonder then why taking out 8pins would get it to stay on (even though no POST) for some reason.

Hmmm...Not sure. Would you advise I re-purchase the same MoBo?

According to the reddit post I linked in my OP, one POSSIBLE solution is to update the bios through a Ryzen 5 model CPU (something about some AM4s not handling Ryzen 7s out of the box)....so I ordered a Ryzen 5 1500 (ensuring I could return it properly) and gonna test that out...I could, I suppose, purchase a new MoBo while I'm at it under the same pretenses...

13 hours ago, emosun said:

that wouldnt cause a power cycle constantly

just did this, naked PSU, mobo with CPU+HSF, both sticks of ram in, everything out of the case --> nothing even turned on (PSU didn't turn on at all).