Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spark on my laptop keyboard !!! Help please

Alex Kwok

I just got my new hp spectre x360 15 for 2 months. Today I was working in the library with my laptop plugged in (I suspect that the socket in the library is not grounded properly). At first I feel some electric shock when I rest my palm the metallic surface of my laptop (which has never happened before) but I didn't think too much. But soon, when I am typing with my computer, I suddenly feel a electric shock and saw a spark on the ↓key when I press on it. I was frightened and immediately disconnected the charging cable. The laptop is working fine right now. There seems to be no visible problem other than the probably less bright backlit on the button ↓compared to others (not so sure about that), but I am still concerned that if the spark has cause any damage on my laptop. 

This incident has frustrated me the whole day. Can anyone tell me if the spark may damage my laptop by any means ? like will it be a sign that I have burn any components on the motherboard ? Or if I has just been paranoid and my laptop should be absolutely fine?

I am really looking forward for your reply ! Thanks a lot for any assistance !

Probably was the library port, I would benchmark it and check it against others unless you have old ones of your same model to see if other stuff got shocked. Also please don't double post! It takes a while for people to find the thread.

Current Gaming build:

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000mhz 15-17-17-35

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080

Graphics Card Cooler: EVGA XC Ultra Gaming
Storage: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Blue
PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750W
Case: Corsair 460x Black
Case Cooling: A mix and match of fans ?
Peripherals:

Monitor: HP 27ea
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE
Mouse: Corsair Glaive Black
Headphones: Corsair HS60
Microphone: Blue Snowball Black Edition

"Gaming" Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Mid-2012 with Nvidia Geforce Now

The spark was completely normal. The second and third person in this forum explain why: https://superuser.com/questions/338263/is-it-normal-for-the-laptop-charger-to-spark-when-plugging-in

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, MrChemistryCow9 said:

Probably was the library port, I would benchmark it and check it against others unless you have old ones of your same model to see if other stuff got shocked. Also please don't double post! It takes a while for people to find the thread.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply ! I will definitely go for a look. And sorry for posting repeatedly, I will never do that again.

4 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

The spark was completely normal. The second and third person in this forum explain why: https://superuser.com/questions/338263/is-it-normal-for-the-laptop-charger-to-spark-when-plugging-in

I have read similar posts like that.  But their sparks are usually at the charging port and just spark the instant it was plugged in. Mine sparks at the keyboard and was like about 5 minutes of charging. I am not so sure if they are the same problem

10 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

- Your previous thread has been removed. Please, only post one thread per topic.

I apologize for posting repeatedly.  I will definitely not do that again anymore