EVGA FTW3 1080ti - Crashes on apply settings + worse benchmarks after watercooling upgrade

Hey everyone, This is my first post so I hope this is the right area to post this.

I am having a really interesting issue with my new build mainly revolving around my 1080ti.

So after finishing up everything on my build and tested it to make sure it booted properly I decided to go ahead and water-cool my 1080ti (Mainly just for the hell of it), I got one of the EVGA Hybrid AIO Kits (http://a.co/d/8fdX93w). The install went smoothly as far as I can tell. I popped it into the computer and it worked like a charm until I did some further investigating in the following week.

My first issue was that my Benchmark for the Graphics Card in Userbenchmark dropped quite a bit after I installed the water-cooling. In the same system It went from Bench of 172% to 142%

Secondly and most concerning to me is whenever I try to change any settings of the graphic card, such as Power, Clock, or even Fan Speed. As soon as I click apply the system slows to a crawl, freezes within 5 seconds, and the screen goes black within 10.

This happens in XOC Precision, MSI Afterburner, and CAM so I do not believe it is an issue with any of the programs.

I am still able to see the Temp Sensors coming from the GPU and Overheating does not appear to be an issue. And it still is able to run all the games I have at 4k, 60fps and the highest quality so it is not the biggest issue if it is not fixable. Just looking for some advice/tips on what would be causing this.

Thanks in advance!

-Sky

Specs:

CPU:      INTEL i7-8700k

MOBO:   NZXT N7-Z370

RAM:     CORSAIR Dominator 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz

GPU:      EVGA FTW3 Gaming 1080ti

PSU:      CORSAIR HX1000i

@SkyHawkBre  Is there a second BIOS on the card that is toggled with a switch?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

@SkyHawkBre And do you run any of those OC/monitoring programs together?  Perhaps one stays running in the background and is screwing things up.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Have you checked your performance in anything else? User.benchmark scoring can change with time. Other than @nick name's suggestions, I can only think of bad contact of the cooler with VRM causing VRM throttling, are you seeing sudden clock drops or just straight constant lower clocks?

CPU: i7 2600K 4.4GHz@1.3V | Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro | CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212x | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @1600MHz CL9

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti G1 Gaming @2GHz | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | PSU: Corsair TX550M | Monitor: LG 29UM69G

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX MX Red | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Case: Corsair Carbide 400C | Headphone: Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | Microphone: Blusmart Lapel

Wow, I have never had anyone reply so quickly to a forum post before. Thanks!!

@nick name I have a switch on the top of the card labeled "Normal" and "OC". I never have figured out what exactly that switch does. I turned off the system and set it to the OC setting and noticed no change in any behavior. Also I am sure I am only using one program at a time, but just to make sure I uninstalled all except XOC and still won't let me change even the fan speed...

@Vasllo After seeing your post I tried the Unigine Heaven Benchmark for the first time and under the 1080p Ultra Quality, Extreme Tessellation. and got what I think is an impressive score of 4784. So I think I can rule out the lower benchmark as a fluke with User.Benchmarks. And I wasn't seeing any issue with the clock.  

But still not being able to change any of the setting is still quite annoying

Any other ideas?

3 minutes ago, SkyHawkBre said:

@nick name I have a switch on the top of the card labeled "Normal" and "OC". I never have figured out what exactly that switch does. I turned off the system and set it to the OC setting and noticed no change in any behavior. Also I am sure I am only using one program at a time, but just to make sure I uninstalled all except XOC and still won't let me change even the fan speed...

@Vasllo After seeing your post I tried the Unigine Heaven Benchmark for the first time and under the 1080p Ultra Quality, Extreme Tessellation. and got what I think is an impressive score of 4784. So I think I can rule out the lower benchmark as a fluke with User.Benchmarks. And I wasn't seeing any issue with the clock.  

Any other ideas?

Might be your driver crashing, use DDU to clean reinstall it. And does it still happen after switched vBIOS? If it isn't the driver nor the vBIOS, I can only think it's a hardware issue.

CPU: i7 2600K 4.4GHz@1.3V | Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro | CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212x | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @1600MHz CL9

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti G1 Gaming @2GHz | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | PSU: Corsair TX550M | Monitor: LG 29UM69G

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX MX Red | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Case: Corsair Carbide 400C | Headphone: Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | Microphone: Blusmart Lapel

18 minutes ago, SkyHawkBre said:

Any other ideas?

The OC BIOS has a higher power limit that you may not need to implement from what I've read.  

And I would suggest doing what @Vasllo suggested and removing the old driver and then re-installing.  When you installed EVGA XOC did you put your serial number in?  If the program sees you have an EVGA card it will require the card's serial number to use it.  

@nick name & @Vasllo, DDU and Reinstalling the drivers from Nvidia's website did not seem to help. And yes I have made sure I used the correct seral number. 

I have noticed one other thing as well even though it seems like XOC can't write information to the LED Sync program not only works but shows that there are Two 1080ti's even though XOC only sees one (Only one is installed) Capture.PNG.8319b9418b094126dd4e8b3c375cb6d2.PNGThe top one on the LED Sync is the one that controls the RGB on the 1080ti and the second one seemingly controls nothing? But weird that it shows up. My next steps are going to be testing my other PCI-e port and see if that changes anything and then see if XOC will work on my 750ti I have.

It just confuses me if it was a hardware issue because besides this quirk the card works perfectly fine.

1 minute ago, SkyHawkBre said:

@nick name & @Vasllo, DDU and Reinstalling the drivers from Nvidia's website did not seem to help. And yes I have made sure I used the correct seral number. 

I have noticed one other thing as well even though it seems like XOC can't write information to the LED Sync program not only works but shows that there are Two 1080ti's even though XOC only sees one (Only one is installed) Capture.PNG.8319b9418b094126dd4e8b3c375cb6d2.PNGThe top one on the LED Sync is the one that controls the RGB on the 1080ti and the second one seemingly controls nothing? But weird that it shows up. My next steps are going to be testing my other PCI-e port and see if that changes anything and then see if XOC will work on my 750ti I have.

It just confuses me if it was a hardware issue because besides this quirk the card works perfectly fine.

Might be two different RGB zones? At this point it's either something in Windows or the vBIOS, although it's unlikely since you have 2, and having 2 faulty vBIOSes is unlikely. I would fully reinstall Windows from scratch. Try the GTX 750 Ti to see what happens, but I doubt it's gonna do the same.

32 minutes ago, SkyHawkBre said:

Go into your device manager and under View select Show Hidden Devices.  Then go into display adapters and see if there is a greyed out 1080 ti.  If it is right click and uninstall it.  

3 hours ago, Vasllo said:

Might be two different RGB zones? At this point it's either something in Windows or the vBIOS, although it's unlikely since you have 2, and having 2 faulty vBIOSes is unlikely. I would fully reinstall Windows from scratch. Try the GTX 750 Ti to see what happens, but I doubt it's gonna do the same.

There are two different RGB Areas on card, (The Top and Backplate) but you can't control them separately. The Turning off the top one stops the RGB while the bottom one doesn't do anything as far as I know. Couldn't find the 750ti, But I used a 1050ti I had in another project, XOC started working perfectly 

3 hours ago, nick name said:

Go into your device manager and under View select Show Hidden Devices.  Then go into display adapters and see if there is a greyed out 1080 ti.  If it is right click and uninstall it.  

Checked, only one 1080ti shows up, says it is working properly.

After some more searching I found a thread that had a bunch of users who did the water-cooling kit who had the same issue

https://forums.evga.com/1080Ti-FTW3-Upgraded-with-the-Hybrid-Kit-Problem-m2721450.aspx

I looks like it may be an issue with the shroud shorting a part of the GPU and cause XOC to crash and clocks to lock at 1569Mhz...

I will try some of the solutions they have on that forum and see if I can resolve it.

UPDATE:

So Removing the GPU Shroud removed all the issues... May just have been a short somewhere?