Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Possible overheating issues? Screen goes black.

doinurmop

Hello ,I've been having an extremely annoying issue the past few days, I'll try to shorten it down

Basically my PC seems to be randomly cutting out during gaming. It's happend once or twice while playing Mortal Kombat X. And multiple times during Warframe. I'm trying to recreate the issue in games like Hitman but to no avail, it seems pretty incosistent.

Basically, everything blacks out, my screen, the sound, it even sounds like the fans are stopping. The first few times I needed to restart, but now recently, it blacks out same as always, but then turns its self back on. Like it doesn't restart, everything I was doing before is still there. Except for the game (So far i've only experienced this specifically in warframe, since I haven't recreated in other games as said) I'm guessing since it lost connection to the video card from the issue, so the game crashes.

So I'm unsure if this is actually an overheating issue or not? My cpu reaches about 70 celcius max, and gpu 75 celsius during warframe recently. Which is hotter than I expect to run but not horrendous.

I plan to clean it out, replace the thermal paste, and check for loose cables tomorrow (borrowing compressed air and thermal paste from brother, so just easier to do it all at once then) but does anyone have any ideas.

Sorry if I explained it shoddily, since honestly it's just really confusing. And I refuse to believe its a warframe only issue, seeing as I can't find other users with the same issue.

My specs are on my profile if you need them.

Edit 1: Forgot to add that on warframe at least, it seems to only happen after 1-2 hours of gameplay. Pretty incosistent though.

Sometimes, I dream about cheese

29 minutes ago, doinurmop said:

Pretty incosistent though

Need specs on your system, but it could be a failing power supply. Under load the PS can't give enough power to the video card and it fails.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Need specs on your system, but it could be a failing power supply. Under load the PS can't give enough power to the video card and it fails.

As said in the post, my specs are on my profile is you need them. I'll paste them here for ya.

CPU

i5 4690k

Motherboard

ASUS H81M-E

RAM

8GB Corsair vengeance

GPU

AMD AORUS RX 580 XTR

Case

NZXT S340

Storage

1 TB WD Blue HDD x2

PSU

600 watt PSU

I can get specifics on the PSU tomorrow, since I don't remember the tier and brand by heart (Pretty sure brand is EVGA)

Is there a way I could stress test the PSU, to see if that could be the issue? I have had it for a very long time.

Yep! 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I had this also before I upgraded my PSU. Especially the automatic restart without a BSOD hints to the PSU overcorrect protection saying NOOOPE I won't do this.

TO test download Prime95 and Furmark and run them together. This will max out your PCs power draw. If where right this also should cut of the power and then make the PC restart.

I guess you will need to upgrade your PSU

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Yep! 

I had this also before I upgraded my PSU. Especially the automatic restart without a BSOD hints to the PSU overcorrect protection saying NOOOPE I won't do this.

TO test download Prime95 and Furmark and run them together. This will max out your PCs power draw. If where right this also should cut of the power and then make the PC restart.

I guess you will need to upgrade your PSU

The weird part comes from recently, where it doesn't even restart the pc entirely.

I'll give furmark a try when I get the chance. Which is soon, and then get back to you on the results.

Just now, doinurmop said:

As said in the post, my specs are on my profile is you need them. I'll paste them here for ya.

CPU

i5 4690k

Motherboard

ASUS H81M-E

RAM

8GB Corsair vengeance

GPU

AMD AORUS RX 580 XTR

Case

NZXT S340

Storage

1 TB WD Blue HDD x2

PSU

600 watt PSU

I can get specifics on the PSU tomorrow, since I don't remember the tier and brand by heart (Pretty sure brand is EVGA)

Is there a way I could stress test the PSU, to see if that could be the issue? I have had it for a very long time.

This are you OCed? 600W should be enough for this configuration. But the PSU being very old can be the problem here. I had the same thing happen to mw with a PSU wich was enough wattage but old, I ran it a 100% load almost all the time. When doing this the Wattage your PSU "can handle" goes down over time. Therefore at some pint it can't support high load scenarios anymore.

Personal tip: Buy a Corsar HX one pricey but holds up well and you have 10yrs warranty ;)

Just now, doinurmop said:

I'll give furmark a try when I get the chance. Which is soon, and then get back to you on the results.

Please furmark+Prime95 to really max everything out 

6 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

This are you OCed?

I am not OC'ed, never really wanted to OC incase I mess something up.

I shall give them both a shot and tell ya what happens. Just need to update furmark and get Prime95

14 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

May aswell ask, how long should I keep the stress test running for? Never properly used furmark or prime95, especially for trying to find out results about a PSU like this.

29 minutes ago, doinurmop said:

May aswell ask, how long should I keep the stress test running for? Never properly used furmark or prime95, especially for trying to find out results about a PSU like this.

30min-1h should be fine.Depends on how long it usually takes for the cutoff to happen when you're gaming. Due to the stresstest demanding the highest power possible from your system this should not take long to trigger OCP in the PSU

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

30min-1h should be fine.Depends on how long it usually takes for the cutoff to happen when you're gaming. Due to the stresstest demanding the highest power possible from your system this should not take long to trigger OCP in the PSU

Did 1 hour on Pime and Furmark, neither crashed my pc, just caused it to get hot and fans to run hard. So that showed nothing sadly.

43 minutes ago, doinurmop said:

Did 1 hour on Pime and Furmark, neither crashed my pc, just caused it to get hot and fans to run hard. So that showed nothing sadly.

hmmm crap... I guess you don't have an other PSU available to try for a swap?

Do you have a power meter? Seeing how much power draw there is could also help to check for problems

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

hmmm crap... I guess you don't have an other PSU available to try for a swap?

Do you have a power meter? Seeing how much power draw there is could also help to check for problems

It's possible I have another one lying around. Or that my brother has one. I'm unsure though.

And nope, don't have any kind of power meter.

1 minute ago, doinurmop said:

It's possible I have another one lying around. Or that my brother has one. I'm unsure though.

And nope, don't have any kind of power meter.

Oh that's nice! Does it haven enough watts to power your box?

I know its quite much work to swap everything with PSUs but I think It would be worth a try 

16 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Oh that's nice! Does it haven enough watts to power your box?

I know its quite much work to swap everything with PSUs but I think It would be worth a try 

Asked my bro, it's 620 watts, so yeah. Though it isn't modular so that's even more of a pain.

I'd rather consider that a second-to-last resort. Or until I have more of an idea. I might do it if cleaning and replacing thermal paste doesn't work tomorrow. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, haha.

47 minutes ago, doinurmop said:

Asked my bro, it's 620 watts, so yeah. Though it isn't modular so that's even more of a pain.

I'd rather consider that a second-to-last resort. Or until I have more of an idea. I might do it if cleaning and replacing thermal paste doesn't work tomorrow. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, haha.

The other option is the video cards slowly going south. That would require replacing as well to test, but it's less of a PITA to do than a power supply.

37 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The other option is the video cards slowly going south. That would require replacing as well to test, but it's less of a PITA to do than a power supply.

Thats correct. But usually dead GPUS result in funny artifacts or BSOD

But sure, it is possible. My guess is PSU though

38 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I would very much doubt that. But it's a possibility.

Though the GPU is new, I only got it a few months ago, as a replacement and upgrade for my one that completely died.

2 hours ago, doinurmop said:

I would very much doubt that. But it's a possibility.

Though the GPU is new, I only got it a few months ago, as a replacement and upgrade for my one that completely died.

Well you hadn't mentioned how old it was, so I was throwing that out there as a possibility to look into.

If the power supply is going south, and/or of poor quality, it might have damaged the video card...hard to say

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

If the power supply is going south, and/or of poor quality, it might have damaged the video card...hard to say

I do feel like there'd be more signs if that were the case though. As you said it is hard to say.