Transition to being and adult

Ergroilnin

I have been wondering lately...

Obviously, the law (no matter which country we are talking about) has to have SOME legal definition of an adult.

But realistically say, being 18 is overkill for some and at the same time, it is definitely not enough for others.

So what I am about to ask is mostly subjective.

But when did you consider yourself an adult? What was the turning point and what were the things that made you think you're not a child anymore?

I myself am pretty confused about this. I am living in middle Europe just so you know. And while I tried to live on my own ever since I was 16, or when I was living with my now ex girlfriend for two years or right now (I am 25 rn) when I am living alone, I just cannot help myself but I feel like a little kid everytime my parents help me in any way. Is this something that eventually actually goes away, or do most of you feel the same way?

I may be 18, but I'll pitch in, based off what I've learnt from my family.

To me, becoming an adult is being fully independent in your own household, with a stable income, and most importantly, at a point of maturity. Generally this can be from age 18 and up, since 18 is the start of when a person gains the independent legal abilities such as driving, alcohol consumption, sexual intercourse, and other financial aspects such as house mortgages, loans, and tax. Of course, you can still be living in your parents' home and still consider yourself an adult if you have a job and are taking care of yourself without much reliance on your parents. I have an aunt who had only recently moved out of her parents' house shortly after she got married and got a new home with her husband, she had a stable job before this, so I consider her a proper adult.

Of course, being a young adult - let's say mid-20's - you can still rely on your parents and family, because that's what family is for! You look out for each other, no matter how old you all get.

For me, I don't consider myself an adult yet. I'm still a teenager; I may be fresh out of school, and will very soon have a job (I'm supposed to start in two weeks!), but I still do not see myself as an independent person who can function alone, as I still lack some skills such as financing my bank account, driving, heck I don't even know the process of buying a house is, and therefor cannot call myself an adult.

Where I see myself being able to call myself and adult is when I am in a job serving stable income, and being able to do all the things that I could do if I lived alone.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Science tells us that supposedly our brains are fully developed at age 25, whatever that means.

If there's one thing I think that defines being an adult over being a child or teenager, it's accepting and carrying out responsibility. Which is doing things not because you want to, but because you know they must be done.

If we're just talking on a personal level, then I would say 16.

That's when I was forced to live on my own, away from my parents and independent of any other kind of immediate authority.

That's not to say I was mature or acting like an adult.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Science tells us that supposedly our brains are fully developed at age 25, whatever that means.

If there's one thing I think that defines being an adult over being a child or teenager, it's accepting and carrying out responsibility. Which is doing things not because you want to, but because you know they must be done.

Myelination integrity peaks in the mid 30s. Technically that'd be when your brain is "fully developed". Its quite a common misconception that humans can't make proper decisions or be analytical at a high level until they're in their 20s because of that often repeated (and false) line.

Kids and teenagers actually have the easiest time learning becsuse their brain is so fast to adapt and lay down neural pathways thanks to their brain's higher neuroplasticity.

That's why its extremely important to teach them critical thinking skills at a young age, instead of memorizing useless things like they so often make one do in school.

Also, the dataset possessed by an individual combined with their cognitive ability is largely what determines a person's ability to make decisions. In our society, its very common for fully formed adults who are in university or even out in the workforce to be completely ignorant when compared to children and teens who have access to information and critical thinking skills.

In reality, age is just the number of times one has orbited the Sun and isn't an accurate metric for assessing cognitive ability. There are plenty of adults with mental capacity far below someone who is half their age or less.

9 hours ago, Ergroilnin said:

the law (no matter which country we are talking about) has to have SOME legal definition of an adult.

I dont think places like India, Pakistan, and most of the African countries dont have that. Children work when they can walk and talk and hold something.

But when did you consider yourself an adult?

When I drove a vw beetle at the age of 8yrs old or shot a gun around the same age.

middle europe

lots of countries to choose from, about 10

My cousins are late 20s and married for several years. They say they still feel 17. 

Most people “feel” like an adult when they start owning their responsibilities.