MIT posts results of a 4 year global study into the morality of driverless vehicles (who should they save in a crash?)

Master Disaster

Let's make it clear from the start, MIT have said this wasn't a fully scientific study  nor was it ever intended to create an answer to the problem, infact they acknowledge that this issue is so complex it might be impossible to find a solution that pleases everyone. The intention was to gauge the public's opinion on the subject, compare how these opinions differ around the world and to start the debate on this subject proper. It is a very interesting subject though.

For the last 4 years MIT have been running a global study into the morality of driverless vehicles via the website http://www.moralmachine.mit.edu and have just published the global data on the subject.

If forced to choose, who should a self-driving car kill in an unavoidable crash?

Should the passengers in the vehicle be sacrificed to save pedestrians? Or should a pedestrian be killed to save a family of four in the vehicle?

To get closer to an answer - if that were ever possible - researchers from the MIT Media Lab have analysed more than 40 million responses to an experiment they launched in 2014.

Their Moral Machine has revealed how attitudes differ across the world.

Testers are presented with multiple scenarios and are asked to choose their favoured outcome in the given scenario.

People were presented with several scenarios. Should a self-driving car sacrifice its passengers or swerve to hit:

• a successful business person?
  • a known criminal?
  • a group of elderly people?
  • a herd of cows?
  • pedestrians who were crossing the road when they were told to wait?

Four years after launching the experiment, the researchers have published an analysis of the data in Nature magazine.

Obviously the results varied around the world but in general people seem to prefer to save as many people as possible, to save humans over animals and save young people over old people. There were a few oddities too, for example saving females over males and saving higher status people over lower status.

The results from 40 million decisions suggested people preferred to save humans rather than animals, spare as many lives as possible, and tended to save young over elderly people.

There were also smaller trends of saving females over males, saving those of higher status over poorer people, and saving pedestrians rather than passengers.

Around half a million people chose to complete an optional demographic survey and researchers say that these qualifiers don't "have a sizeable impact" on the choices most people would make however there are a few differences caused by geography and culture.

About 490,000 people also completed a demographic survey including their age, gender and religious views. The researchers said these qualities did not have a "sizeable impact" on the decisions people made.

The researchers did find some cultural differences in the decisions people made. People in France were most likely to weigh up the number of people who would be killed, while those in Japan placed the least emphasis on this.

_104041580_top-nc.png

_104044033_3-nc.png

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45991093

Full results write up - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0637-6

The test is still running if you want to go and take part.

This is a very interesting topic to me. It's not something i think we're ever going to find a definitive solution too and it's going to be a nightmare for manufacturers as we might well end up with different laws and rules in every country.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

as the saying goes in china: "give way to cars, people."

._.

I can't decide if this is serious or a joke and I'm not sure if that says more about me or China tbh :D

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

note to self: be careful while crossing the road in China or Taiwan.

on a side note the best place to be inside a self driving car is China and Taiwan if you don't mind the occasional mauling of a pedestrian

Least emphasis on sparing the young:
1. China
2. China
3. South Korea
4. Japan

What the heck, Asia? I know you have had population control issues, but C'mon...

140796011_MMV8HpL2clxJdm9iLGUffJf5neI.gif.a23c59b9ee8800b80e289c5179bed24e.gif

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Well, if you drive fast enough, driving in to a herd of cows would kill the driver too. Cows are heavy.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Well, a driver in a car is more likely to survive but with damage than pedestrian is.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I see what you did there lol

The Guanxie Qlique called.

They want their China back

17 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Well, if you drive fast enough, driving in to a herd of cows would kill the driver too. Cows are heavy.

Even a single cow is enough to total a car tbh. Around here we have a lot of boar, and if you hit one of those at more than about 50 kph your car is scrap.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Even a single cow is enough to total a car tbh. Around here we have a lot of boar, and if you hit one of those at more than about 50 kph your car is scrap.

My dad hit a cow at night, pretty much at 100 km/h because it was black. Rolled up and over the car, total write off, but he was fine because of how it got lifted due to the speed and the cow being side on.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

infact they acknowledge that this issue is so complex it might be impossible to find a solution that pleases everyone.

This is what I tried to argue in the last huge thread about this.  But some people are just so sure of themselves and their understanding of ethical dilemmas that they think there is an answer.

There will never be an answer because there will always be someone who disagrees and feels it is not right.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, leadeater said:

My dad hit a cow at night, pretty much at 100 km/h because it was black. Rolled up and over the car, total write off, but he was fine because of how it got lifted due to the speed and the cow being side on.

lucky man, did he buy a tatts ticket?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

My dad hit a cow at night, pretty much at 100 km/h because it was black.

I... Don't think you intended that to mean what I thought it did... At least I hope not.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

I... Don't think you intended that to mean what I thought it did... At least I hope not.

Well if it was day time and white it would have been a similar issue ?. Night time in the country and dark objects can't been seen, car lights don't help.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So he doesn't like cows. Is his name George Nelson by chance?

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

This is easily solved by having a "Save Me" button in the car, car detects potential collision and you like everyone will hit that button so fast and hard.

This wins the thread.  This is the only truth to the question.  In the end, each person would hit the button in the event of an imminent crash of any sort.  Same reason you blink when something accelerates at your eye.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Well as the saying goes "idiots most die" i would say they should save the ones who arent responsible for the wreck. Its just insane how many smombies out there and the authorities dont do anything about them(and i could write a pretty long list what else they are failing to do).

Yeah, because having a brain dead driver is better.... (Just look at how many accidents happen because of using phone while driving.)