Blank monitor

_kR15n

So I have connected a second display to my GTX 1060, and it only shows a black screen without any sign of life.

If I disconnect the VGA cable a notification pops up on the monitor saying CHECK SIGNAL CABLE, after I reconnect it the screen goes black again.

The monitor is fully operational as it shows the notification, and the graphics card is fully operational too as I am writing this on the 1st monitor connected to the same GPU. I am using a DVI to VGA adapter between the graphics card and the blank monitors VGA cable.

The monitor Is also shown in the Device Manager of the PC

If you're using a passive DVI->VGA adapter, this isn't working because the GPU has only DVI-D output. D stands for digital - for passive adapter to work you need DVI-I (I for integrated - analog+digital) or DVI-A (A for analog) connector as passive adapters interconnect analog pins from DVI-I/A  to a VGA connector. More info at Wikipedia.

TL; DR: You will need an active adapter to use your second monitor.

Edited by redteam4ever
Can't decide how to write "adapter" + formatting

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

3 minutes ago, redteam4ever said:

If you're using a passive DVI->VGA adapter, this isn't working because the GPU has only DVI-D output. D stands for digital - for passive adapter to work you need DVI-I (I for integrated) or DVI-A ( A for analog) connector as passive adapters interconnect analog pins from DVI-I/A  to a VGA connector. More info at Wikipedia.

You will need an active adapter to use your second monitor.

I have a DVI-I adapter

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, CatCam1 said:

I have a DVI-I adapter

Capture.PNG

The problem is your GPU, not the adapter. Adapter MUST have DVI-I connector (why would anyone manufacture adapter that wouldn't work?).

Look at the connector on the GPU, specs on ASUS's website say it's DVI-D, that's why it doesn't work.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

1 minute ago, redteam4ever said:

The problem is your GPU, not the adapter. Adapter MUST have DVI-I connector (why would anyone manufacture adapter that wouldn't work?).

Look at the connector at the GPU, specs on ASUS's website say it's DVI-D, that's why it doesn't work.

I checked it on the Asus page and it does say DVI-D but the connector on the graphics card has exactly the same pin layout as the adapter

10 minutes ago, redteam4ever said:

Look at the connector on the GPU, specs on ASUS's website say it's DVI-D, that's why it doesn't work.

Will an HDMI to VGA adapter like this one work in this situation then?

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, CatCam1 said:

Will an HDMI to VGA adapter like this one work in this situation then?

Capture.PNG

Yes, it will. HDMI has no compatibility for VGA, so any adapter that you pick will work - they are all active (they convert the digital signal to analog). You only have to watch out for the sound settings - when you connect the adapter, Windows might think that you had connected something that can also output sound and switch your audio output to HDMI, so you will need to switch it back to your normal sound otput device in Control Panel.

1 minute ago, redteam4ever said:

Yes, it will. HDMI has no compatibility for VGA, so any adapter that you pick will work - they are all active (they convert the digital signal to analog). You only have to watch out for the sound settings - when you connect the adapter, Windows might think that you had connected something that can also output sound and switch your audio output to HDMI, so you will need to switch it back to your normal sound otput device in Control Panel.

Thanks a lot!

Just now, CatCam1 said:

Thanks a lot!

Upon closer inspection of the image - don't know why is there a DC 5V connector, but if it's for power, there are also adapters that don't need external power and some of them have audio output for connecting your audio devices.

Just now, redteam4ever said:

Upon closer inspection of the image - don't know why is there a DC 5V connector, but if it's for power, there are also adapters that don't need external power and some of them have audio output for connecting your audio devices.

They are more expensive that way (this was the cheapest I could find)

Just now, CatCam1 said:

They are more expensive that way (this was the cheapest I could find)

Where do you live? You can find dirt cheap adapters on Ebay or Aliexpress.