High Ram Usage All The Time in Windows 10

Lately it's seemed like my ram usage is higher than it should be. I've noticed doing simple stuff like browsing with a few tabs on chrome with no other applications open usage would be like 6-7gb, but if I add up the ram usage of every process in task manager it'll only sum up to like 3gb. I tried restarting and afterwards without doing anything ram usage was already at 3.9gb but again if I added up every process shown in task manager, it totaled to only 1.9gb. And that disparity gets worse the more I open an close applications, for example opening video editing software ram usage grew from 3.9gb about 6gb even though task manager showed that app only using 1.6gb ram. Then closing the app instead of ram usage returning to what it was, it was now idling at 4.1gb usage. So I've been in situations where if I haven't restarted my computer in a few days, idle ram usage could be  as high as like 10gb, where as the ram usage shown by processes in task manage sum to much lower than that.

Any info on what's going on and any possible fixes is much appreciated.

How much of your RAM is reserved ? 

Capture.PNG

It says 46.7MB

Here's a screen shot just in case:

46301ed35e8991d55ba9e59c5bb9ab75.png

7 minutes ago, MAMAs_b0y said:

It says 46.7MB

Here's a screen shot just in case:

46301ed35e8991d55ba9e59c5bb9ab75.png

one app could have a ram leak where it just keeps grabbing more and more without reserving it or reallocating it and also why does it matter so much if you have 64GB of it. you have so much to spare its almost not worth bothering over

1 minute ago, Turretgaming said:

one app could have a ram leak where it just keeps grabbing more and more without reserving it or reallocating it and also why does it matter so much if you have 64GB of it. you have so much to spare its almost not worth bothering over

Alright yeah I've heard that term memory leak before, I'll look into that. As for why it matters, I keep finding myself at like 90% ram usage doing the same stuff I've always done where ram usage used to be only like 60-70%, and I'm not sure why it says /61.0 GB committed as I only have 32gb of ram in total.

16 minutes ago, MAMAs_b0y said:

Alright yeah I've heard that term memory leak before, I'll look into that. As for why it matters, I keep finding myself at like 90% ram usage doing the same stuff I've always done where ram usage used to be only like 60-70%, and I'm not sure why it says /61.0 GB committed as I only have 32gb of ram in total.

You have 32 gb physical stick and 32 gb page file (c:\pagefile.sys hidden file) if you take more than 32 gb you run on your disk storage very very slowly.

Check on the details tab see what apps use the most ram. Note that Chrome is a known RAM eater but 22 gb i never seen that much.

Also good to note than windows will reserve a portion of you ram by percentage. It look like to range from 10% to 25% depending on the system. This ram will be faster for windows to allocate as he already have "control" over it.

11 minutes ago, Franck said:

You have 32 gb physical stick and 32 gb page file (c:\pagefile.sys hidden file) if you take more than 32 gb you run on your disk storage very very slowly.

Check on the details tab see what apps use the most ram. Note that Chrome is a known RAM eater but 22 gb i never seen that much.

Also good to note than windows will reserve a portion of you ram by percentage. It look like to range from 10% to 25% depending on the system. This ram will be faster for windows to allocate as he already have "control" over it.

In that screenshot I had a program running that was using about 17gb so that's why it was so high, but the problem remains that if I were to go in the details tab after the screenshot and add up the ram usage of every process listed, it would only add up to probably 19-20gb even though 22 is shown as being used.

Looking into it I think the problem might have to do with memory leaking.

1 hour ago, MAMAs_b0y said:

In that screenshot I had a program running that was using about 17gb so that's why it was so high, but the problem remains that if I were to go in the details tab after the screenshot and add up the ram usage of every process listed, it would only add up to probably 19-20gb even though 22 is shown as being used.

Looking into it I think the problem might have to do with memory leaking.

Details tab doesn't show you the exact total ram usage. It never will. There is many type of memory and windows made it simple to show you only 1 of them. On top of my head i can tell you there is Private, Virtual, working sets, Paged pool, non paged pool. If a process show 3 gb usage it might have an extra reserve of 1 gb which is not used but it is not usable either by any other application so your effective ram available is Physical + Page - 3 gb used - 1 gb reserved. Details will only show you 3 gb private set.

Memory leak does show up. All memory leaks are private set memory attach to a certain process. One type of memory leak is unreleased memory which is easy to spot in most application but the ram it use doesn't disappear in thin air. One simple test is open up Microsoft word. Check how much private ram it uses. Open up a document. Check how much it's at now. Close the document and see the new number it should have fallen at what it was before or a bit more. a bit more mean it hold in memory probably a couple things that was not loaded until you open the document. Now reopen the document. If the new ram value is higher than the first time it mean there is memory leak of unreleased resource. open and close many time and if the ram keep growing that's one type of memory leak.

That is a simple leak to see as everything display on screen or a document has to go in the private set which is what windows details tab show. Other leak such as OpenGL leaks need special tools to find and notice as they do not show anywhere. You simply loose access to resources altogether.