Blank CDs are more expensive than blank DVDs. When did this happen?

corrado33

I haven't bought blank media in many many years. I bought a 100 pack of CDs and DVDs probably 5-10 years ago and never got through all of them. Unfortunately, I'm now running out of both.

Blank CDs are almost twice as expensive as blank DVDs. What the heck? Probably because CDs don't really have a lot of uses anymore. Cars use MP3 players... not great for storage anymore. Actually I can't think of any modern use for a CD or blank CD. Can you?

Playlist for road trips in your older nonblutooth/USB car. 

And economies of scale for price. 

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I haven't bought blank media in many many years. I bought a 100 pack of CDs and DVDs probably 5-10 years ago and never got through all of them. Unfortunately, I'm now running out of both.

Blank CDs are almost twice as expensive as blank DVDs. What the heck? Probably because CDs don't really have a lot of uses anymore. Cars use MP3 players... not great for storage anymore. Actually I can't think of any modern use for a CD or blank CD. Can you?

What do you have a sudden use for blank CD's for?

In terms of why they're more expensive now? Simple: economies of scale. Blank CD's don't sell much anymore. USB drives and to a lesser degree, blank DVD's, have largely made blank CD's irrelevant.

Add in even halfway modern cars supporting MP3's, and basically all modern cars supporting smartphone playback, and there's just not much use in a blank CD anymore.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's kinda because the volume of production goes to bluray and dvds. Also I think the chemicals used are different than the ones used on DVDs and bluray so with lower production volume these are gonna be more expensive.

As for why they could still be used?

Some people still have and use digital cameras and camcorders that record straight to CD. See Sony Mavica etc

Older cars may have CD players with mp3 support.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What do you have a sudden use for blank CD's for?

In terms of why they're more expensive now? Simple: economies of scale. Blank CD's don't sell much anymore. USB drives and to a lesser degree, blank DVD's, have largely made blank CD's irrelevant.

Add in even halfway modern cars supporting MP3's, and basically all modern cars supporting smartphone playback, and there's just not much use in a blank CD anymore.

Honestly, I just like to have old media around. You never know when you'll specifically need a CD in the future. I still even have a few floppies around somewhere. And, eventually, the media gets exorbitantly expensive because no-one buys it anymore. 

And my car still supports MP3 CDs. I even still have a CD changer! (But I've modded in an AUX cable so I rarely use it anymore.) Also for things like PS1 game backups, etc. 

the floppy effect, as a thing gets older it also gets more expensive because it's not that common anymore

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

i checked a wholesale website 1688.com which is chinese domestic version of aliexpress, blank cd and dvd are about the same prie, about 0.1-0.2 usd per piece, for 50 disc drum.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Just now, zassou said:

i checked a wholesale website 1688.com which is chinese domestic version of aliexpress, blank cd and dvd are about the same prie, about 0.1-0.2 usd per piece, for 50 disc drum.

Amazon has CDs at almost twice the price as DVDs. 

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Amazon has CDs at almost twice the price as DVDs. 

its really worthless for the item, but the shipping plus potential tariff is where the real cost is.

https://detail.1688.com/offer/520251533169.html

https://detail.1688.com/offer/560088541608.html?spm=b26110380.sw1688.mof001.49.48e72471C1yhJs&tracelog=p4p&clickid=78753d3031e64a7184e0f7a272ccde9d&sessionid=d7f0d8c9fabbd96b83e89524668ae26b

these discs, despite what quality they are, are dirt cheap. less than 1 cent per disc.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!