Anybody interested in a series of retro overclocking with parts from e-bay etc.??

corrado33

I'd love to see a series of "retro" over clocking (and by that I mean like LGA 775 era stuff, not the Commodore 64) where linus and the crew buy a dozen or so chips (since they're so cheap) and find the best one out of the bunch and try to overclock it to modern specs, just for fun. The logistics would be easy, and likely much cheaper than most of their other videos. Hell, you can buy 20 Q6600 cpus for the price of one relatively modern mid range GPU. 

Seeing the latest and greatest is fun and all, but sometimes seeing an old PC pushed to it's limits is fun too. 

13 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I'd love to see a series of "retro" over clocking (and by that I mean like LGA 775 era stuff, not the Commodore 64) where linus and the crew buy a dozen or so chips (since they're so cheap) and find the best one out of the bunch and try to overclock it to modern specs, just for fun. The logistics would be easy, and likely much cheaper than most of their other videos. Hell, you can buy 20 Q6600 cpus for the price of one relatively modern mid range GPU. 

Seeing the latest and greatest is fun and all, but sometimes seeing an old PC pushed to it's limits is fun too. 

This does sound cool, I personally am not that impressed by "New" so seeing some older stuff would be nice!

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

I just finished building two LGA 775 gaming systems using mainstream hardware from around 2008. Some of the top tier parts from era still go for a pretty penny, but since almost everything from that era overclocks really well even the cheap parts are fun.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

Just now, SALEEN961 said:

I just finished building two LGA 775 gaming systems using mainstream hardware from around 2008. Some of the top tier parts from era still go for a pretty penny, but since almost everything from that era overclocks really well even the cheap parts are fun.

My server is an LGA 775 with a QX9650. Even the $1000+ CPU from back in the day can be bought for $100 now-a-day. Mobos are always less than $100. The most expensive thing I find is the damn ram. DDR2 is extremely expensive now-a-day, when bought new. 

33 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I just recently got some old core 2 duos to do 4.08GHz with an ASUS P5B Deluxe, but I think the ASUS Rampage Extreme is a good overclocking board from the era.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

My server is an LGA 775 with a QX9650. Even the $1000+ CPU from back in the day can be bought for $100 now-a-day. Mobos are always less than $100. The most expensive thing I find is the damn ram. DDR2 is extremely expensive now-a-day, when bought new. 

I bought my E8400 for $5, and I got a combo deal for a good P45 motherboard with a Q9550 for $59, but some of the high end overclocking motherboards still go for a couple hundred dollars, it all depends on what you're looking for and who you're comfortable buying from.

New DDR2 can be found cheaply, but it's not always available so you have to be patient, I got two 1GB sticks of 1066Mhz Kingston RAM brand new for $15. Honestly I'm having a harder time finding 1 or 2 GB sticks of 1066MHz DDR3 that I can trust.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

11 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

New DDR2 can be found cheaply, but it's not always available so you have to be patient, I got two 1GB sticks of 1066Mhz Kingston RAM brand new for $15. Honestly I'm having a harder time finding 1 or 2 GB sticks of 1066MHz DDR3 that I can trust.

I can get 8GB of DDR2-800 for less than $20. The stuff is everywhere on eBay, and the benefits of 1066MHz DDR2 are, well, nonexistent.

Why don't you just buy DDR3-1333 instead? It's easier to find and 100% compatible with lower-clocked boards. It'll just downclock itself to 1066.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

LGA 775

My nas is built around a Core2Duo E7500 so would love to see this!

A long time LTT viewer that signed up “7 minutes ago”.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I can get 8GB of DDR2-800 for less than $20. The stuff is everywhere on eBay, and the benefits of 1066MHz DDR2 are, well, nonexistent.

Why don't you just buy DDR3-1333 instead? It's easier to find and 100% compatible with lower-clocked boards. It'll just downclock itself to 1066.

1066 DDR2 can be useful depending on what memory straps you have available when overclocking your CPU. I paid a little extra to get a brand I wanted in new condition, and I like the heatspreaders even if they don't do much.

DDR3 1333 isn't compatible with every motherboard, some of the really early DDR3 motherboards require DDR3 1066, I know because I have one and it will not POST with 1333 RAM installed. If not for this I would absolutely spend less money to get faster RAM like you suggested.

14 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

1066 DDR2 can be useful depending on what memory straps you have available when overclocking your CPU. I paid a little extra to get a brand I wanted in new condition, and I like the heatspreaders even if they don't do much.

DDR3 1333 isn't compatible with every motherboard, some of the really early DDR3 motherboards require DDR3 1066, I know because I have one and it will not POST with 1333 RAM installed. If not for this I would absolutely spend less money to get faster RAM like you suggested.

Seriously? Wow. A DDR3 motherboard that can't run anything faster than 1066. What brand is it?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Seriously? Wow. A DDR3 motherboard that can't run anything faster than 1066. What brand is it?

Asus, technically it can overclock to 1333 on one DIMM slot, but that's it, if you have anything over 1066 in the other slot it won't POST. When running 1333 only one slot can be used. I honestly thought the board was defective I until I read the manual lol.

1 hour ago, SALEEN961 said:

if you have anything over 1066 in the other slot it won't POST.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard for mine and even if I put 2133mhz memory in all of its slots it will boot fine and run normally

A long time LTT viewer that signed up “7 minutes ago”.

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You aren't a real geek until you OC a Celeron 300A to past the 1ghz mark.

Also

https://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/636-best-overclocking-cpu.html

i have one of those, shame i dont have a slot 1 board and a PSU suited for it(though my 1kw one can probably do it tbh)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have one of those, shame i dont have a slot 1 board and a PSU suited for it(though my 1kw one can probably do it tbh)

The funny part is old parts that still work are hyper expensive on eBay, because anyone (businesses usually) still using them in a system, will pay through the nose to keep it running.

Dual socket 370s for example, 3 figures....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABIT-BP6-DUAL-SOCKET-370-MOTHERBOARD-W-2x-CELERON-CPU/113326312480?hash=item1a62c64c20:g:9QwAAOSwqCJbz20m:rk:1:pf:0

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 hours ago, corrado33 said:

when bought new. 

Then don’t buy new ddr2 ram. The stuff is dirt cheap used.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

57 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

Then don’t buy new ddr2 ram. The stuff is dirt cheap used.

Beyond dirt cheap. I just picked up two systems for 20$ with (between them) 32GB DDR2

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.