Our New $10 000 Router!

AlexTheGreatish
2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

May I ask one question @AlexTheGreatish, why would you spend 10000 on a router? Just why?

Because $10,000 sounds better, gets more clicks which means more money, then what they really paid for it, either nothing or much much less then $10k.

I would call it either:

Bertha McChippy - because it is big and makes a mess (Bessie McChippy could also work)

or

Fred - because it isn't the name of anyone that works at LMG (that I know of at least)

I'm a bit torn between two thought processes: something explanatory, or something short and easy to say that is completely unrelated.

Well its not like Linus is mechanically inclined beyond computers, its an interesting angle for sure.

Overpriced... at least it has linear rails, but for 10k it should have ballscrews, which have much less backlash than a rack and pinion and don't wear as much.  CNCRouterpart's products are ok, but not great as all of their machines are rack and pinion driven and made out of aluminum extrusion. This machine can certainly cut aluminium, I know of several FRC teams that use it for that, although not steel, however I don't see them needing to cut steel except for for sheet metal from cases and such which I think this would be able to do. Additionally while a aluminum frame may be sturdy to a point, a steel base is always better and less susceptible to twisting from a non flat floor. You should make a dust shoe for cutting things such as mdf and acrylic as they are more messy. For aluminum this is not needed as much as typically the chips are bigger. You should also level off your spoil board, which is the board that the part was affixed to. Rather than using tape, for mdf especially it is much easier to just use screws, and for aluminum try tape and superglue (look up NYCCNC). For a couple years now I thought that you should get a router, however I don't think this was the best option for your application.

I also reccomend checking out fusion 360 for cam (generating g-code, computer aided machining), its free I think, not sure if you would have to pay

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 hour ago, Luscious said:

I get that you guys make money from videos, but buying a router to make useless things just to make videos of those same useless things maybe isn't the smartest way to spend money.

Do you really have a need for CNC equipment, lathes and welding gear that you will be using it so frequently to do a ton of stuff???

If LMG are so stuck for ideas they are hiring the wrong people because I have over a dozen PC related build ideas worth doing that I have yet to see.

- Router was sent to us

- This will allow us to do builds and PC mods that previously wouldn't have been possible.

3 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

It was a joke, without looking at the thumbnail you'd think he's talking about a wirelss router....ya know techy stuff?

People say that CNC isn't techy but it really is- if cncs didn't exist our computers wouldn't either and vice versa. Machinery that makes pick and place machines for motherboards, fab machines for gpus and cpus, and making dies for injection molding all consist of parts that are made using some sort of CNC manufacturing. Basically everything in the tech industry has manufacturing traceable back to a cnc.

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

@AlexTheGreatish What happened to the 10gbit switch that you guys pushed out of the way for the iPhone X S review?

A long time LTT viewer that signed up “7 minutes ago”.

Hey @AlexTheGreatish this video got me to sign up for the forum.  Seeing this sort of topic covered on LTT was really cool, so thanks for pestering Linus to bring us something like this.

Now, could we ever see anything on other industrial automation tech?  Industrial robots, real-time automation controllers (and their differences from normal computers) or something like that?

6 minutes ago, audi0c0aster1 said:

Hey @AlexTheGreatish this video got me to sign up for the forum.  Seeing this sort of topic covered on LTT was really cool, so thanks for pestering Linus to bring us something like this.

Now, could we ever see anything on other industrial automation tech?  Industrial robots, real-time automation controllers (and their differences from normal computers) or something like that?

I think that that would be great, industrial automation is really interesting. Especially if you could get tours of manufacturing plants- like show people how their motherboards are made using pick and place machines, or cases are made (like how gamers nexus went to Lian Li's facility) or chip fab places, although companies are typically resistant to letting people film in their factories, robotic arms, cnc machining and more. However this may be a bit of a disconnect from your audience

1 hour ago, audi0c0aster1 said:

Hey @AlexTheGreatish this video got me to sign up for the forum.

Another me!

Signed up for the same reason :)

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

I think that that would be great, industrial automation is really interesting. Especially if you could get tours of manufacturing plants- like show people how their motherboards are made using pick and place machines, or cases are made (like you went to Lian Li's facility) or chip fab places, although companies are typically resistant to letting people film in their factories, robotic arms, cnc machining and more. However this may be a bit of a disconnect from your audience

I work on industrial control systems which is why I suggested it.  PLCs (programmable logic controllers) are neat and a very different type of electronic device.

Reaching out to a factory is one option, another that might present less hurdles would be finding a dealer/distributor/rep that might be willing to work with LTT.  Rockwell Automation or Siemens in control or FANUC or KUKA for robotics.

7 minutes ago, audi0c0aster1 said:

I work on industrial control systems which is why I suggested it.  PLCs (programmable logic controllers) are neat and a very different type of electronic device.

Reaching out to a factory is one option, another that might present less hurdles would be finding a dealer/distributor/rep that might be willing to work with LTT.  Rockwell Automation or Siemens in control or FANUC or KUKA for robotics.

That must be an interesting job! I think that fanuc or kukas robots could kinda fit the theme of the channel, imagine a video name: A robotic arm that can lift a CAR?!?!?

They should just go visit Fanuc's showroom, that would be a video in itself

6 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

That must be an interesting job! I think that fanuc or kukas robots could kinda fit the theme of the channel, imagine a video name: A robotic arm that can lift a CAR?!?!?

I currently don't do any robotics work, but the other division in my company does make/program/sell automated guided carts, which is kinda robotics I guess.

But yeah, that video title fits the channel pretty well.

Anybody else think that this would make for an awesome Scrapyard wars tool? Like make a Scrapyard wars where the objective is cheapest gaming PC made out of a custom built acrylic/wood case. Or even make like a spin off to Scrapyard wars where the objective is just to build the coolest case that you can think of and all the hardware is provided.

1 hour ago, JvrJava said:

Or even make like a spin off to Scrapyard wars where the objective is just to build the coolest case that you can think of and all the hardware is provided.

That would be good!

I like it, I just don't think it will get much use in this warehouse lol... Then there is TIG Mmmmmm IMO a far more useful thing to have in this place lol...  @AlexTheGreatish Hope you get one :)

Also Teamwork :P

image.thumb.png.96736de2fe6a259d2889d7c02d707f8b.png

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

May I ask one question @AlexTheGreatish, why would you spend 10000 on a router? Just why?

Because they are too lazy to actually learn a good skill that you could one day teach your kids and do it with them as a parent child bonding? IDK...

5 hours ago, Masters2150 said:

Is Linus turning into a Troll?

First the iPhone thing now this.

In their defense... They at least showed the unit and not some stupid ASUS router...

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Because $10,000 sounds better, gets more clicks which means more money, then what they really paid for it, either nothing or much much less then $10k.

Nah they won't likely get $10K out of ads... Think of it for long term, if the unit works for 5 years it's only 2K a year or $5.48 a day :P

Could just call it routeFace

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Something like this and shop vacuum cleaner is a must. They can even DIY it since they have all the tools.

0000192_300.jpg?osCsid=f4raj2q79a4uergea

5 hours ago, kevdagoat said:

@AlexTheGreatish What happened to the 10gbit switch that you guys pushed out of the way for the iPhone X S review?

Well... with the help of the router...... We might water cool it.

5 hours ago, audi0c0aster1 said:

I'd be super down to do huge industrial tours, although like audi0c0aser1 said below it can be pretty difficult sometimes.

5 hours ago, audi0c0aster1 said:

4 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Because they are too lazy to actually learn a good skill that you could one day teach your kids and do it with them as a parent child bonding? IDK...

You could teach CAD and CAM to your kids!

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

oh, a loaner?

(also make parts for wintergatan when they tour canada in the future!)

I'd be super down to make some stuff for him if he's in the area haha

7 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Something like this and shop vacuum cleaner is a must. They can even DIY it since they have all the tools.

0000192_300.jpg?osCsid=f4raj2q79a4uergea

Yeah already made one DIY!

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Yeah already made one DIY!

Did you use the router to actually make parts for your router? So you can router while you router
That'd be amazing...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

it's no 3D printer, but hey

I mean, a dust shoe is fairly two-dimensional, it's the brush skirt that makes it seem 3D. It's normally just a flat plate, so if they make it on the router it will eventually be a part of...I dunno, that'd just be kinda cool :) 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Awesome new toy. 

+1 on the other comment suggesting a vacuum table to secure parts. 

Depending on the max cutting height, you guys might be able to make molds for composite parts. Glue a few layers of MDF with a ball nose, or flat head with a tone of sanding. Then seal at least the inside surface of the mold and you are go to go. 

When it comes to safety, be careful, laws are different in Canada then the US where a lot of equipment comes from. Also some maker equipment as soon as it enters into a workplace magically becomes unsafe. There doesn't appear to be any light curtains, at a minimum I would put up guarding as a keep out region some safe distance away. Also, when switching tools press the ESTOP, if wired properly, this should disable the enable on the drives, machines like to move unexpectedly. If BC law is anything like Ontario law, you will need training records before employees can use the equipment. These can be employer created and administered, but you need a formal "don't hurt yourself by doing any of the following stupid things" instruction and sign off that the employee received, but not required in all cases that they understand, the training. 

Linus might not want to give his employees coffee breaks, but he doesn't seem to care about safety. I'm just waiting for him to start wearing steal toe sandals.

8 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I'd be super down to do huge industrial tours, although like audi0c0aser1 said below it can be pretty difficult sometimes.

There are lots of company that have large factory and some have many of these machine. Our company has Kuka, Fanuc, PB and many more and we are nearly fully automated from custom 3d application, to solidworks farm to cnc to the automated line. Probably other company in your area play with all the bells and whistles too.

super video but i notice linus ask about safety and im working in a shop with press drill and stuff sooo yeah.

1: your hoodie with super long lace... please never do that again
 2: if you change a drill bit you should physically cut the power (i dont know that system but i think it is the big red button)
3 no watch or smart watch 

it might look exesive but your not in your garage at home your working and you should always that a machine can fail start out of nowhere ect.

btw sorry for the bad english french canadien watching here

sorry for the bad english it is a second language to me