Overclocking FX8320 on ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Hello all. 

As my hardware grows graciously with age, and the price of new hardware behind out of budget right now, I'm looking to finally overclock my system. 

My system specs are as follows: 

Mobo; ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

CPU: AMD FX8320 Black Edition (w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 cooler)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce 4GB

RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

PSU: Corsair CX750M 

Having followed JayzTwoCents guide on how to overclock the FX chips, I changed the core clock from 4.0Ghz to 4.4Ghz quite smooth, and left voltage at default value. I tried to run a stress test on prime95, and instanteously my PC crashed. Figuring that there wasn't enough voltage, I stepped it up to 1.4v, however this immediately resulted in the PC not wanting to post. So I Googled the issue, and found by holding down the "Mem OK" button on my mobo, it would run a test and I'd be able to get into the BIOS. As luck would have it, I did manage to get into the BIOS and I changed the voltage down to 1.38v. I saved the config and that again caused the PC to not post. 

Figuring that my system just couldn't run 4.4Ghz @ 1.38v, I decided to go with a safer OC of 4.2Ghz @ 1.38v, so I changed the values and tried to get the system to post, but I immediately ran into new issues where the system would post past the BIOS logo, but it wouldn't boot Windows from my SSD, instead it just sat at a black screen. 

So currently I'm back to default values, with no OC, and I'm turning to the community to help me out. I'm new to OC'ing but not system building, the components I picked were with OC'ing mind, so surely my system should be able to run 4.2Ghz @ 1.4v(ish) ? 

Please help! Any guidance appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, bks_e30 said:

Hello all. 

As my hardware grows graciously with age, and the price of new hardware behind out of budget right now, I'm looking to finally overclock my system. 

My system specs are as follows: 

Mobo; ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

CPU: AMD FX8320 Black Edition (w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 cooler)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce 4GB

RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

PSU: Corsair CX750M 

Having followed JayzTwoCents guide on how to overclock the FX chips, I changed the core clock from 4.0Ghz to 4.4Ghz quite smooth, and left voltage at default value. I tried to run a stress test on prime95, and instanteously my PC crashed. Figuring that there wasn't enough voltage, I stepped it up to 1.4v, however this immediately resulted in the PC not wanting to post. So I Googled the issue, and found by holding down the "Mem OK" button on my mobo, it would run a test and I'd be able to get into the BIOS. As luck would have it, I did manage to get into the BIOS and I changed the voltage down to 1.38v. I saved the config and that again caused the PC to not post. 

Figuring that my system just couldn't run 4.4Ghz @ 1.38v, I decided to go with a safer OC of 4.2Ghz @ 1.38v, so I changed the values and tried to get the system to post, but I immediately ran into new issues where the system would post past the BIOS logo, but it wouldn't boot Windows from my SSD, instead it just sat at a black screen. 

So currently I'm back to default values, with no OC, and I'm turning to the community to help me out. I'm new to OC'ing but not system building, the components I picked were with OC'ing mind, so surely my system should be able to run 4.2Ghz @ 1.4v(ish) ? 

Please help! Any guidance appreciated. 

IIRC my 8320 on the same board got to 4.3 with 1.4 something volts.

You can look up the max safe voltage for the chip, and stick to just below that.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Thanks for the input, but it doesn't really help me in this situation. 

I'm trying to figure out why the board won't post past default values.

3 hours ago, bks_e30 said:

Thanks for the input, but it doesn't really help me in this situation. 

I'm trying to figure out why the board won't post past default values.

You need to default your bios mate, I've forgotton a lot about how to overclock my old 8350 which i had pinned at 5ghz constantly. With the 8350 it gets exteremely hot, then you have loads of settings in the bios you need to change and override. I hated Jay's video because he made it in the way of overclocking an intel chip, i even reached out to him and he told me i'd not get 5ghz stable as not all chips are the same, which isn't true with the 8350, they're binned really well.

Any chance you can show me your settings in bios? Ususally not being able to get into bios with your config is a memory issue, probably why you can manage it when you press mem ok.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:10 AM, Benjeh said:

You need to default your bios mate, I've forgotton a lot about how to overclock my old 8350 which i had pinned at 5ghz constantly. With the 8350 it gets exteremely hot, then you have loads of settings in the bios you need to change and override. I hated Jay's video because he made it in the way of overclocking an intel chip, i even reached out to him and he told me i'd not get 5ghz stable as not all chips are the same, which isn't true with the 8350, they're binned really well.

Any chance you can show me your settings in bios? Ususally not being able to get into bios with your config is a memory issue, probably why you can manage it when you press mem ok.

Hey man, BIOS shots below. 

44673695175_f49529b133_z.jpg

45537174582_f47704c336_z.jpg

44673694535_660f14b560_z.jpg

43770127820_a9865d9c0c_z.jpg

45537175252_abb2abdc5e_z.jpg

move CPU bus frequency back to 100 and raise the multiplier to 42.

your RAM and GPU prolly arent setup to run 2x bus speed.

3 minutes ago, airdeano said:

move CPU bus frequency back to 100 and raise the multiplier to 42.

your RAM and GPU prolly arent setup to run 2x bus speed.

Is there a way to setup the RAM & GPU to run a 2x bus speed? Or is that wildy unrealistic on this board?

GPU wise will need a firmware/BIOS change to half speed to compensate for the bus overspeed.

the RAM is done within the BIOS.

strap method is old and not conscience. build the multiplier up with appropriate voltage to achieve your overclock.

8 minutes ago, bks_e30 said:

Is there a way to setup the RAM & GPU to run a 2x bus speed? Or is that wildy unrealistic on this board?

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

GPU wise will need a firmware/BIOS change to half speed to compensate for the bus overspeed.

the RAM is done within the BIOS.

strap method is old and not conscience. build the multiplier up with appropriate voltage to achieve your overclock.

Pretty sure if i remember correctly 200mhz is standard for the 990fx chipset.

the bus speed is 200mhz as standard, you need to go to overclock.net and look up either their guides or the 8350 owners club, their wealth of knowledge there is going to outmatch anyone's here.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:46 PM, MedievalMatt said:

IIRC my 8320 on the same board got to 4.3 with 1.4 something volts.

You can look up the max safe voltage for the chip, and stick to just below that.

I ran over 1.6v safely for years, on watercooling mind.

15 hours ago, Benjeh said:

I ran over 1.6v safely for years, on watercooling mind.

The FX 8000 and 9000 chips were awesome for overclocking.  Too bad that they needed overclocking to even be competitive at the time, and barely at that.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold