Install Linux on SSD or HDD- Dual Boot

RobertS

Should I install Linux or Windows on my SSD?  I have a 240GB m.2 SSD and a 1TB HDD, so I don't know which OS i should put on each.  I am going to dual boot these operating systems (Kali and Windows)

I would install both OSs on the SSD. To get the best performance on both of them. Windows is a pig on drive space so I would give windows more of the drive. Maybe 64 to 100GB for Linux and everything else can go to windows.

But it is really up to you.

That doesn't give to a hold lot of space for programs but it should be enough to get by for most things.

Linux is speedy enough on an HDD, I would just put it there and save the SSD for Windows and other programs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

I would install both OSs on the SSD.

I'm worried about messing up one of the installs, clearing the drive and losing my windows licence 

9 hours ago, RMSONE01634 said:

How easy is it to install both on the same drive?

pretty easy just select the option to install alongside windows in linux

if you're worried about breaking your windows install I suggest you make an image of your windows install 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 11:39 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Linux is speedy enough on an HDD, I would just put it there and save the SSD for Windows and other programs.

Best is install / in small partition of the SSD (like 15GB) and the /home in the HDD, you get the best of both, the speed of SSD and the space of the HDD.

throw windows on the ssd since windows is painful on anything that isnt an m.2 ssd, and linux can go on the hdd since linux is fast enough on anything

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself.