I'm new to building computers and stuff...Where do I start?

Hi there!

I'm from Australia who would like to get into building computers and various other things of the sort. I want to upgrade my setup and such soon, and my questions are:

1. Where do I start? It's a pretty big topic for me, so some pointers would be wonderful!

2. Are there any specific places I could get information about computer components and parts?

3. Can you build a decent PC with budget parts? Or do I go all in and save up for the more expensive parts?

4. In relation to the 3rd question...Are there any specific places I could go to get budget parts? (Ebay, Amazon, retailers, etc.)

I really hope I enjoy my time with this community. :D

Thanks everyone!

3 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

basically its just youtube for most of the time, then search review for all related products, have fun

remember to watch different sources

Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to check out different sources

2 minutes ago, A Synthwave enthusiast said:

1. Where do I start? It's a pretty big topic for me, so some pointers would be wonderful!

Watch build guides, tech quickies etc. videos. Read articles about different architechtures and advances, new releases and such. Basic things. Same things you do to learn anything.

2. Are there any specific places I could get information about computer components and parts?

Not really. If you want to get deep in, then Wikipedia and actual books are the way to go. But for the most part general news, reviews, TQ videos and such are enough. You accumulate knowledge as long as you are into learning it.

3. Can you build a decent PC with budget parts? Or do I go all in and save up for the more expensive parts?

Yes, you can get decent stuff on budget. Even in AUS. Look into used markets first. Its not building your own from scratch, but will be more budget friendly. You could even pick up something really old, take it apart and build it again just for experience.

If you want detailed advice on parts, post with budget and uses into New Builds subforum.

4. In relation to the 3rd question...Are there any specific places I could go to get budget parts? (Ebay, Amazon, retailers, etc.)

Any place selling used stuff. Amazon and other retailers aren't best, not unless there's sales.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Majority/basics you learn on YouTube tutorials and videos. The more precise and complicated information you have to research on your own or ask on this forum. 

As for budget it depends what you’re trying to build it for and if you wanna buy used or not. Current general rule of thumb is Ryzen (AMD CPU’s) are more bang for the buck and don’t buy 2000 series RTX cards maybe besides the 2070 cuz they’re big doo doo

Stuff will be easier to understand once you’ve dug a bit deeper :)

poop

I would scrounge around for some old pc's. Someone will have something they want to chuck. Play around with the old free stuff and get the hang of what you're doing.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

For practical knowledge I'd just watch a bunch of techquicke and build guides. 

UserBenchmark and PCPartpicker are your friends.

If you're willing to go used you can get some really good price to performance. I'd check out Tech Yes City. He focuses a lot on used parts, that's pretty much all he does actually. 

Cheers and welcome to the forum!

7 minutes ago, A Synthwave enthusiast said:

1. YouTube is a great resource, there are plenty of full build guides that will give you in-depth detail on which part goes where and what to do as well as what not to do.

2. Here in the forum! ;)

3. That's what budget PCs are, it's a budget that is set to build a decent PC for the money. Expensive parts tend to have diminishing returns the higher you go. I built my PC for $1200.

4. Amazon, Newegg, eBay if you don't mind used, and local places like craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

17 hours ago, A Synthwave enthusiast said:

Hi there!

I'm from Australia who would like to get into building computers and various other things of the sort. I want to upgrade my setup and such soon, and my questions are:

Thanks everyone!

Hi! Welcome to the Forums :) 

The place to start is writing down for yourself what you're looking for in a PC. Which tasks will it do for you, which applications are you going to use? It's also important to set a budget, what do you want to spend on your PC?

Once you know which requirements your new PC/setup needs to meet, you can start gathering information on parts that meet those requirements. Reading/watching reviews and asking people for recommendations are always good ideas.

Sure! You can even ask us here on the forum. We have a build planning section where you could layout your requirements and budget and have people draw something up for you. Other places to gather information are YouTube channels in the tech scene, such as LTT (to a lesser degree), Gamers Nexus, HWUnboxed, and many others. There's also the classic websites such as Tom's hardware, Anandtech, Techspot etc.

Absolutely. Second hand might even be an option for getting a nice "bang for the buck" approach. Aliexpress, eBay, Gumtree etc. are good sources for those. Going budget for new parts might result in sub par performance and your system might not end up meeting your requirements.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Hi! Welcome to the Forums :) 

The place to start is writing down for yourself what you're looking for in a PC. Which tasks will it do for you, which applications are you going to use? It's also important to set a budget, what do you want to spend on your PC?

Once you know which requirements your new PC/setup needs to meet, you can start gathering information on parts that meet those requirements. Reading/watching reviews and asking people for recommendations are always good ideas.

Sure! You can even ask us here on the forum. We have a build planning section where you could layout your requirements and budget and have people draw something up for you. Other places to gather information are YouTube channels in the tech scene, such as LTT (to a lesser degree), Gamers Nexus, HWUnboxed, and many others. There's also the classic websites such as Tom's hardware, Anandtech, Techspot etc.

Absolutely. Second hand might even be an option for getting a nice "bang for the buck" approach. Aliexpress, eBay, Gumtree etc. are good sources for those. Going budget for new parts might result in sub par performance and your system might not end up meeting your requirements.

4 minutes ago, seoz said:

1. YouTube is a great resource, there are plenty of full build guides that will give you in-depth detail on which part goes where and what to do as well as what not to do.

2. Here in the forum! ;)

3. That's what budget PCs are, it's a budget that is set to build a decent PC for the money. Expensive parts tend to have diminishing returns the higher you go. I built my PC for $1200.

4. Amazon, Newegg, eBay if you don't mind used, and local places like craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

4 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

For practical knowledge I'd just watch a bunch of techquicke and build guides. 

UserBenchmark and PCPartpicker are your friends.

If you're willing to go used you can get some really good price to performance. I'd check out Tech Yes City. He focuses a lot on used parts, that's pretty much all he does actually. 

Cheers and welcome to the forum!

5 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I would scrounge around for some old pc's. Someone will have something they want to chuck. Play around with the old free stuff and get the hang of what you're doing.

7 minutes ago, IdiotPenguin said:

Majority/basics you learn on YouTube tutorials and videos. The more precise and complicated information you have to research on your own or ask on this forum. 

As for budget it depends what you’re trying to build it for and if you wanna buy used or not. Current general rule of thumb is Ryzen (AMD CPU’s) are more bang for the buck and don’t buy 2000 series RTX cards maybe besides the 2070 cuz they’re big doo doo

Stuff will be easier to understand once you’ve dug a bit deeper :)

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Watch build guides, tech quickies etc. videos. Read articles about different architechtures and advances, new releases and such. Basic things. Same things you do to learn anything.

Not really. If you want to get deep in, then Wikipedia and actual books are the way to go. But for the most part general news, reviews, TQ videos and such are enough. You accumulate knowledge as long as you are into learning it.

Yes, you can get decent stuff on budget. Even in AUS. Look into used markets first. Its not building your own from scratch, but will be more budget friendly. You could even pick up something really old, take it apart and build it again just for experience.

If you want detailed advice on parts, post with budget and uses into New Builds subforum.

Any place selling used stuff. Amazon and other retailers aren't best, not unless there's sales.

7 minutes ago, A Synthwave enthusiast said:

Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to check out different sources

11 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

basically its just youtube for most of the time, then search review for all related products, have fun

remember to watch different sources

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for the help, guys! I'll definitely try to take all of the info given into account when I start building and stuff. :D

I started off by buying a cheap throw away PC, taking it apart and then putting it back together.

To add to everything, don't watch stuff from big news and media corporations (looking at The Verge) or at best, just take what they say with big grain of salt. Most of the time they try to bait clicks with trendy topics about stuff they are not competent enough, thus creating confusion.

You can always ask for specific stuff or whatever you're interested in on this forum, people here most of the times are friendly and someone will help you.

Here's some pointers:

• Depending on your budget, don't be afraid of buying used (especially since the AUD has never been great (borrow a trusted adult for this one))
  • I learned a lot of random stuff off tech quickie, and the rest off every other tech-tuber out there
  • You can build a (insert use here) PC for way less than you probably think. Under $500, $300, maybe even less
  • Spending more doesn't always mean you get more (usually, but not always (good to check other sources/reviews))
  • If it doesn't work, it's probably broke, but you can probably fix it. You just have to get creative sometimes

Last but not least, don't let someone else tell you what to do or buy. People on the forums are great for giving suggestions, but if someone tells you "do this and don't do that", they probably don't know what they're talking about. You can do pretty much anything you want when building a computer. That doesn't always mean it will work well or do what you want, but just because someone says pairing an RTX 2080 Ti with a Pentium G3258 is stupid, doesn't mean you can't do it (trust me, it's stupid and you shouldn't do it, but you can).

Oh and have fun:)

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

3 minutes ago, Spock_1701 said:

for number 2

Go to pc part picker

Pcpartpicker Australia There's a link for you, it's a good website for finding prices on (new) hardware. As for used, ebay and craigslist are probably your best bets. If there are any local used computer part stores around you, that is probably a good place to look as well.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, Spock_1701 said:

the best website for finding prices and specs on hardware

It isn't all inclusive, and I've noticed that people are hanging onto it like dear life. Up and to point where manufacturers site with more detailed specs, compatibility listings, manuals and other stuff isn't being looked at when researching.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

All of this has probably already been mentioned before but here are a few pointers

1) Use pc part picker to choose parts, it will tell you if your parts are compatible or not. https://pcpartpicker.com/

2) Gaming on a budget is very possible, use eBay to your advantage to find some great deals, just be wary of scams. Even when buying new parts you should be able to build a good entry level system for around 700$, or maybe less depending on the games you are planning to play, what framerate you want, and the detail level you want.

3) Forums will be your best friend, if you have any questions as to why your system doesn't post to the bios or why your CPU cooler doesn't fit onto your motherboard just make a forum post and many smart people will be able to help you.

4) Watch YouTube tutorials, as long as you are not watching The Verge you should be fine. I have been tinkering with my old Mac Pro since I was 12 and I learned EVERYTHING of YouTube. YouTube is a great resource, use it!

5) I know many people are going to disagree but I generally find Intel CPU's more reliable and better quality, even though AMD processors may have a higher core count and lower price, Intel CPUs are more efficient and output less heat. (Some may disagree but this is from personal experience) 

6) 8 Gb ram is more than enough.

7) Dont waste money on thermal paste, you will spend a lot of money on thermal paste for a 2 or 3 degrees difference, use https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-Compound-Performance-Interface/dp/B0045JCFLY if it works on a Intel Xeon W 2195 it will work on any other CPU.

Welcome to the PC Master Race

maybe gumtree is your best bet
also have a look at his videos as some of his are based on deal hunting in Australia 

https://www.youtube.com/user/bryaneasy

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM &nbsp;140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM &nbsp;120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM &nbsp;120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B) &nbsp;LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

This does not take away from everything that was said, rather it goes hand in hand with them (and in some cases, almost a repetition), however nothing beats hand-on experience, so try getting some throwaway parts (sometimes you can get them for free) in addition, to take apart and reassemble, until you are ready for the real thing.

15 hours ago, A Synthwave enthusiast said:

Start by buying a pc, taking it apart, putting it back together, deleting os installing os

#3 yes, but it depends on what you want to use the pc for

#4 ebay, amazon, electronics recyclers, craigslist, other online classifieds

17 hours ago, A Synthwave enthusiast said:

Hi there!

I'm from Australia who would like to get into building computers and various other things of the sort. I want to upgrade my setup and such soon, and my questions are:

Thanks everyone!

Think about it like this. Computers are essentially legos. But some computers are k-nex. Basically, if you buy the right parts, they will fit together extremely easily. If you buy one part that's a lego and another part that's a k-nex, you're going to have problems. 

The flowchart I go through when I build a brand new computer is this.

Intel of AMD? 

Do I want to overclock?

Which CPU do I want? (Based on above 2 questions.)

What socket type does that CPU use? 

What features do I want on the motherboard/what size motherboard do I want? (ITX/ATX/eATX etc.)

What other things do I want? (GPUs/Sound Cards, etc.) And how many pcie slots will they use?

Pick motherboard based on above 3 questions.

What type of memory does the CPU call for/motherboard support/how much memory do I want?

Do I want to leave room for expansion by buying fewer sticks with higher capacity or save money by buying more sticks of lower capacity?

Pick memory based on above 2 questions and.... style. (RGB yes or no? (Choose no.))

What case do I want? Does your chosen size of motherboard fit in it? Also choose based on style/features like sound insulation hard drive bays etc.

How much do I plan on overclocking?

If a lot, then buy a large air cooler or water cooler. If a little then buy a hyper 212. 

Does your chosen cooler fit in your case? (If you are buying a small case and a large air cooler this MAY be a problem. Also large radiators for water cooling may not fit.)

How much power does everything combined use?

Modular or non-modular power supply (do I care about easy cable management?) Yes = modular, No = non or semi-modular. 

Pick power supply based on the above 2 questions. 

Buy as much storage as you want. Most of us recommend an SSD or PCIe NVME boot drive with a traditional HDD storage drive. 

That's it. You should have everything you need to build a computer. Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, Memory, Storage, optional GPU if CPU has integrated graphics. 

As for the rest of your questions.

2. Just go browse newegg. Look what's available. Look what's in your price range, then go compare on cpuboss or cpuboss. As for motherboards, unless you WANT the extra features afforded by the more expensive varieties, the cheap ones are just as capable and will work just as well as the more expensive ones.

3. You can build a budget PC then upgrade over time. That's the point of PCs. Buy a mediocre GPU now, and upgrade it later when you have more money. 

4. The best places for new PC parts are newegg and amazon. Used you can risk it with craigslist or kijiji or your local equivalent. Hell, sometimes you can get really lucky and get a motherboard/CPU combo on craigslist for super cheap. About 5 years ago, I bought a LGA 775 (old cpu socket type) complete computer for $100. It had a Q6600 (old quad core CPU) in it with a GTX 760. I couldn't believe my luck. That computer can STILL play modern games if I upgrade the GPU, and the parts are all >10 years old. 

Building a PC is ez. If you can build a Lego, you can build a computer. The real challenging part is the research needed to make sure parts are compatible with each other and the case you intend to use.

Also don't follow that atrocious tutorial from The Verge.

Mess around on pcpp (shorthand for pcpartpicker which is the best website ever) and watch some build guides. That's the best way to  learn!