Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Putting a raspberry pi 3 into a PC case

hey, so i bought an HP Pro SFF 6300 Case (because it was 20$) https://www.ebay.com/itm/232589854167 and hopefully, it has plenty of space, otherwise, ill return it and buy a gaming Pc case for 30$ off eBay that I've been seeing a lot of. so basically as long as its not filled up by its stupid lift trays where the power supply and CD Rom go, id like to stick in an old CD ROM i have (if it doesn't have one, being it says barebone case i doubt it will) just to fill up the hole and make it look neater.

i have a piece of plastic coming that has 4 bolt holes, which ill mount down to the metal, where the raspberry pi 3 will screw down into.

from there i plan to use an HDMI cable to run the HDMI output over to the back, where that can plug in. i also plan to set up a micro usb plug in the back, using a female MicroUSB to male MicroUSB adapter. from there i will have a USB extension cable running to the front, and then i will have this https://ebay.to/2ORyfw4 which has a switch to turn on and off the raspberry pi. that im hoping to hook through the floppy drive cover, so i have a power button.

along with that i would like to set up a status light with an LED and hook it through where the headphone jack is on the front of the PC case. now at t hat point ive run into some problems and thats where i need help.

so for one, i would like to stick a fan where the power supply fan normally is. but how can i do this? i would need to buy the right sized fan to mount there, but how would i power it? id like to have some way of having a power plug on the back where i wouild plug in one plug, and that would give me power to the fan and anything else i desire. there would be a switch next to the power button where i would put a switch for the fan as well as any other fans i may fit in the case. id assume id need a fan plug to IDE Power/Molex adapter which i could probably get for cheap, but again how would i go about powering the fans using something like maybe a mini 3 plug extension cord? now i wanted to do this after making a little Pi case out of a waterproof box, but its to small and hard to work with, so im upgrading to this. now that had a speaker, so i want this to have a speaker. yes this sounds stupid but shut up :P rather then having the piece of crap i had in the little case, i want something a bit nicer. Again i need a way to power this speaker and a way to hook it up. now i was thinking about buying a speaker, but i figured 5$ wont be enough for anything good, and i dont want to spend more. so i remembered i had these "Tech&Go!" speakers i got 2 of from walmart for like 1.00 like 5 years ago. they go impressively loud, and have a battery. they use 3.5mm and charge with a mini USB, they have a switch on the bottom, but it would be impossible to turn it on and off, so id have to leave it on 24/7, which should be fine for it right?

so basicly i will need to wire that mini usb power over to the same power for the Fan, so its powered when the fan is, and then the 3.5MM would go to the 3.5MM on the raspberry pi. for volume, thats up to the device the speakers plugged into, so the raspberry pi 3 would controll that, inless anyone knows of how i could fit a volume switch into the 3.5" floppy cover.

now my last problem at the moment, would be USB. i want a way to be able to plug in USBs from the outside of the case, now the case has 4 USB slots in the front. but how can i put a usb in each little hole on the front of the case? if anyone knows please let me know! i plan to use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo when using the device, so i would most likely leave the little dongle inside on one of the USBs directly into the device, since the 4 usbs on the case would probably just use one or 2 plugs on the pi. in terms of Ethernet, the device has wifi and Bluetooth so im good for that. also, if you have any suggestions of what i could add to the little device, please let me know! Thanks!

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Can you use paragraphs

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Just now, bleedblue said:

Can you use paragraphs

that took me 30 minutes to type, so im not retyping it lol
think of it as one giant paragraph

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

5 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

that took me 30 minutes to type, so im not retyping it lol
think of it as one giant paragraph

even a few taps on the enter key will do

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

even a few taps on the enter key will do

ill edit it .-.

a9c.png

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

a9c.png

lol

there .-. i edited it

UPDATE,

i figured out what ill do for the USBs, i could jus tconnect 4 of these together side by side, and then put them up to the slots in place of the USb board already there https://ebay.to/2Aqgw5K

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

mWoMG2u.jpg

8gBE9gb.png

so cliff notes:

• Have blank PC case. Wanting to put a Pi in empty case. 
  • powering a PWM/3-Pin fan and a USB speaker
  • extending the USB ports to the case's IO shield

PS: go have a look at one of these. not sure which Pi form factor are you using so I'll paste both

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2016/03/7-port-usb-hub-for-raspberry-pi/ <- 3B

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3298 <- Zero

the USB hubs can power the Pi itself when power is plugged into the hub, so you won't have to worry about the Pi running low on the the USB power budget.

EDIT: wait am I getting this right? o_o will the case have a main system or it's just an empty case?

alright so no, it wont have a system in it, i just ordered the case, its just going to be a raspberry pi with a speaker and everything. if that case happens to be a problem due to the power supply and CD ROM mounts, i will return it and get a diffrent full sized case, if i did that i could choose between one with or without  a window. As for USB, im simply getting 2 of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Male-To-2-Dual-Female-Jack-Y-Splitter-Hub-Power-Cord-Adapter-CableBLCA/183280339833?hash=item2aac5c0b79:g:GZQAAOSweRlau1Fp:rk:49:pf:0 they will plug into 2 of the 4 USBs already on the device, and all 4 USBs will just sit infront of the 4 little USB holes.. so i dont need a raspberry pi specific hub. mainly right now i need to figure out how i can power the speaker which requires power through USB to go from USB to miniUSB, and then how to power a 3 Pin fan, both of which have to connect to an on/off switchn

now thinking about it, it will probably just turn the fan to max power, id love to hook a nob to next to the power switch on the floppy drive cover to controll the fan speed, but i doubt that will be possible inless i wanted to power a fan controller through an IDE/Molex power and put it where the CD Rom would go.. so ill have to have a switch that i can turn it on and off as i choose. since the speaker has a battery, it will be able to stay on

38 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

mWoMG2u.jpg

8gBE9gb.png

so cliff notes:

• Have blank PC case. Wanting to put a Pi in empty case. 
  • powering a PWM/3-Pin fan and a USB speaker
  • extending the USB ports to the case's IO shield

PS: go have a look at one of these. not sure which Pi form factor are you using so I'll paste both

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2016/03/7-port-usb-hub-for-raspberry-pi/ <- 3B

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3298 <- Zero

the USB hubs can power the Pi itself when power is plugged into the hub, so you won't have to worry about the Pi running low on the the USB power budget.

EDIT: wait am I getting this right? o_o will the case have a main system or it's just an empty case?

it seem sthis could power the fan? https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRJ-DC-Power-Supply-For-2-x-3-4-Pin-12V-Computer-PC-Case-Fans/123100992521?epid=11003040012&amp;hash=item1ca9641409:g:1V8AAOSwrsha4WE8:rk:11:pf:0 its a bit expensive though :/ i need one cheaper if you know of one?

22 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

ALRIGHT

ive figured out my power situation for the fans and everything,

so basically i will need this https://ebay.to/2Pn6aMl which will use a standard computer power plug. from there it will go up to the front of the case through an extension cord and will plug into this switch https://ebay.to/2qdfqnX which will show through the floppy cover to power everything. from there it will go into a 3 plug mini-surge strip. then it will power a charger for my speaker and this https://ebay.to/2JfiMQi adapter which powers upto 2 fans at once. 

So far, id say ive got everything pretty much figured out, now to wait for the case to arrive so i can measure the fan i need. hopefully, this mini case will work, though now thinking about it sadly i doubt it will. this will mean ill have to wait while i return it, and wait for a new standard sized case comes to assemble everything. guess this project is now a 50+ Dollar project :/

let me know please whether you think i should do a standard case, or a case with a window (since its the same price) if i do need to get a standard sized case.

the downside to a window case, is i hve to keep it neat lol
with a case without a window, wires dont have to be Perfect