PSU Tier List 2.1 - LEGACY

LienusLateTips

Reliability is about the same in all of them.

The con about 5VSB OCP is about it being set too high. Go to the Protection Features pages to check out details.

Alright, thanks mate! Guess I'm going for the Seasonic for the extra two years of warranty. Never had one of their PSUs, I owned a CM, a Corsair CX and x2 EVGA G3 

NZXT H700 BLACK | CORSAIR RM750X | MSI Z790 TOMAHAWK DDR4 | INTEL I7-13700K | G.SKILL TRIDENTZ 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti SUPER FTW3 ULTRA | KINGSTON KC3000 NVMe M.2 1TB | SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 1ΤΒ | SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB  | SANDISK ULTRA 3D 1TB | CORSAIR H150i ELITE

3 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

There are no good reviews for Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W. There's one for 1000W here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-ultra-platinum-1000w-psu,5397-12.html

There are two reviews for HX750 and HX850 (both by the same person):

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/aris-bitziopoulos/corsair-hx750-psu-review/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx850-psu,5257.html

If you assume that Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W is as good as the 1000W version, then all three of those PSUs are great and pretty much top of the line. I'd have a hard time choosing any one of them myself, so I can't steer you towards any one. Take whichever one looks nicer to you, or any other petty reason.

Jonnyguru has a Prime Platinum 650W review, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=514, but the site is down.

Kitguru also has a review, https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-650w-platinum-psu-review/6/

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just a note - this list won't be updated for a long long time, maybe until March. Got lots of tests and other provincial bs over the next few weeks, won't be around.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Reliability is about the same in all of them.

The con about 5VSB OCP is about it being set too high. Go to the Protection Features pages to check out details.

I decided to go for the RM750x after all as it was cheaper and I guess it stands in the same category performance wise. 

Kind regards 

NZXT H700 BLACK | CORSAIR RM750X | MSI Z790 TOMAHAWK DDR4 | INTEL I7-13700K | G.SKILL TRIDENTZ 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti SUPER FTW3 ULTRA | KINGSTON KC3000 NVMe M.2 1TB | SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 1ΤΒ | SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB  | SANDISK ULTRA 3D 1TB | CORSAIR H150i ELITE

Is there a list like this for CPUs?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Is there a list like this for CPUs?

Not that I'm aware of...

Rating them might be even harder than rating PSUs

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

• 3 weeks later...

EVGA supernova T2/P2 and G2 and the Superflower Leadex gold platinum and titanium ones should be S tier as well, these are all on par with the seasonic primes and be quite dark power pros

6 minutes ago, Beerus said:

EVGA P2 and G2 and theSuperflower Leadex gold and platinum ones should be S tier as well, these are all on par with the seasonic primes and be quite dark power pros

I am praying for the wrath they will throw upon your statement. :P :P 

19 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

I am praying for the wrath they will throw upon your statement. :P :P 

The list is somewhat irrelevant anyways. Rgb-psus top the list while being horrible value for money. Corsair CX in same tier as quality psu:s :D Antec High Current gamer lower than Seasonic Focus Plus while its the same psu etc.

I don't like this list either, but...

30 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Rgb-psus top the list while being horrible value for money.

It doesn't take value into account, that's also why Cooler Master MastwerWatt MIJ is in Tier S instead of Tier C or lower.

Corsair CX in same tier as quality psu:s :D

Explain why you don't consider Corsair CX a quality PSU, which "quality psus" you mean in particular, and how Corsair CX is worse than those units you have in mind.

Antec High Current gamer lower than Seasonic Focus Plus while its the same psu etc.

The current generation of Focus-based Antec High Current Gamer only appeared last year. This list refers to the previous generation of High Current Gamer, which used the Seasonic S12II Bronze platform, the Seasonic AT platform, and a Delta design (see here http://orionpsudb.com/antec). Not like the list differentiates between those three anyway... ?

41 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

The list is somewhat irrelevant anyways. Rgb-psus top the list while being horrible value for money. Corsair CX in same tier as quality psu:s :D Antec High Current gamer lower than Seasonic Focus Plus while its the same psu etc.

I mostly see this list as a big picture of the psus. It helps you know what is good quality and what is bad quality. Aside from that i do my own research for more info on each model. 
P.S I think the list is really helpful though.

21 hours ago, Beerus said:

EVGA supernova T2/P2 and G2 and the Superflower Leadex gold platinum and titanium ones should be S tier as well, these are all on par with the seasonic primes and be quite dark power pros

No, as they lack protection, are on the loud side. And older ones also don't have OTP.

The fan controller is just not good...

And I happen to have a Leadex 2 System wich is rather loud...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

It doesn't take value into account, that's also why Cooler Master MastwerWatt MIJ is in Tier S instead of Tier C or lower.

Explain why you don't consider Corsair CX a quality PSU, which "quality psus" you mean in particular, and how Corsair CX is worse than those units you have in mind.

The current generation of Focus-based Antec High Current Gamer only appeared last year. This list refers to the previous generation of High Current Gamer, which used the Seasonic S12II Bronze platform, the Seasonic AT platform, and a Delta design (see here http://orionpsudb.com/antec). Not like the list differentiates between those three anyway... ?

Well like someone tried to hint before on a message what lead me here, this list has pretty funny weightings. Cheap lower quality components, no bump down list. Mediocre ripple, no bump down. No higher than atx-standard protections, two jumps down :D Loud on hotbox tests while being quiet on normal use scenario, jump down :D

2 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

High current gamer is (or at least was), Seasonic S12II with a different controller in it, which is what this thread will be referring to. I haven't seen new HCG in the stores i shop at - only the old shit, so it's quite possible they flew under the radar of others too.

I disagree with the placement of EVGA's G2/P2/T2 series units, those are top tier psus.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:57 AM, Quadriplegic said:

Not that I'm aware of...

Rating them might be even harder than rating PSUs

I think tomshardware had a "hierarchy" list for cpus and gpus. Take it with a grain of salt in the same way you should view firestrike benchmarks as relative tests.

3 hours ago, Troika said:

I disagree with the placement of EVGA's G2/P2/T2 series units, those are top tier psus.

There will always be disagreements with over-simplified tier lists like this.

The truth is, everyone looks for different things when buying a PSU. 

This whole list is going down the garbage drain in approximately a week. Just ignore this, for now.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, Stefan Payne said:

No, as they lack protection, are on the loud side. And older ones also don't have OTP.

The fan controller is just not good...

And I happen to have a Leadex 2 System wich is rather loud...

Wrong. They OVP,UVP,OPP,OCP and SCP  simmilar to any T1 psu. Most of them out on the market now have OTP as well (agreed with the older ones. in the site it doesnt state OTP, but its pretty much a standard feature now)  So they have full protection. Dunno about loud, most G2/P2/T2 i heard were quiet enough. (with eco mode off as well)

1 minute ago, Beerus said:

Wrong.

Yes, you are.

They OVP,UVP,OPP,OCP and SCP  simmilar to any T1 psu.

Yes and?!
How many OCP Channels do they have?
You know what it stands for?!

So they have full protection.

No, they don't.

And they seem to be rather slow with SCP:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/superflower_leadex_ii/s07.php

Dunno about loud, most G2/P2/T2 i heard were quiet enough.

Yeah, if you have lower wattage units...

With higher wattage (ie 850W) you either have to be deaf or a low wattage system that doesn't even let the fan turn on wich rotates with 1000rpm or so, here proof:
https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/superflower_leadex_ii/s08.php

Why'd you want a 1000W unit for a 300W System??

Friend will be upgrading his old FX system, he works from home and he need some budget PSU for Ryzen and probably RX570, I recommended him Pure Power 11 400w that i have but he want something cheaper that is not a fire hazard at least, so I recommended Deepcool DN450 but next day price went up 25% so now it's more expensive than 550w one, DN450 and DN550 should internally be pretty much same as Cooler Master MWE 450 and 550w 80+ white ones afaik, so not a fire hazard at least. MWE 400w is also sold out and 500w is 5euros cheaper than Pure Power 11 400w only so def not worth it, i stumbled across some Xilence offering, I know that Performance X series is good, and Performance C and Redwing series look like trash as far as I can tell, but how about Performance A+ series? Is it any good, 430w one is 40 euros, on their site it says for this series "With DC/DC technology and 80+ BRONZE certification the Performance A+ series power supplies are the optimal entry level gaming and high-grade office PC models." it mostly will be office PC, but he might game sometimes on it, will this PSU hold up and what Tier it would be in this system(also wouldn't mind knowing how good/bad are other Xilence PSU's in this ranking system)

On 2/22/2019 at 3:31 AM, OrionFOTL said:

Actually, last week while I was in China I was at Andyson's factory in Qingxi.  The newest High Current Gamer and VP series are made there.  

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.  They looked ok and Andyson's factory is pretty decent (although, like Seasonic, they outsource PCBA, magnetics, cables, housings, etc.), but the proof is in the testing....

40 minutes ago, komi1997 said:

but how about Performance A+ series? Is it any good, 430w one is 40 euros,

Yeah, its OK and has DC-DC.

The 730W was pretty nice.

But with the 570 it might not a good idea as the 430W only comes with one PCIe Cable.

The 630 and 830W Verison has, for whatever reason, higher fan RPM.

so that only leaves the 530W or be quiet Pure Power 10/11 with 400W or more.