PSU Tier List 2.1 - LEGACY

LienusLateTips
On 12/2/2018 at 9:39 AM, LienusLateTips said:

Tier S-B in this list has be recategorized :)

Where da 550W TXm at :|

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Hey! I just wanted to wanted to know, where would the lower wattage TXM PSU's be. They are missing. Anyways, it's cool that someone keeps updating the list! 

Seasonic Focus Gold is now Tier A? Okay, agree. But why?

What about the Pure Power 11 ?

On 12/3/2018 at 1:05 AM, Quadriplegic said:

Where da 550W TXm at :|

On 12/3/2018 at 8:55 AM, Konrad_K said:

Hey! I just wanted to wanted to know, where would the lower wattage TXM PSU's be. They are missing. Anyways, it's cool that someone keeps updating the list! 

This is REALLY work in progress, btw.

It would likely be in Tier A or B. 

On 12/3/2018 at 1:37 PM, Sedro said:

Seasonic Focus Gold is now Tier A? Okay, agree. But why?

What about the Pure Power 11 ?

Well lower performing Tier 1 units and high performing Tier 2 units were moved together for Tier A. 

Pure Power 11 is Tier A or B. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Yeah I was going to ask about how the rearrangement worked, my Seasonic G series was a Tier 2 with the old list but I guess its the new tier 3 as now we have the S class?

I mean if you directly translated from the old lists.

Or in reverse the Tier S could be Tier 0 but I understand that might imply poor quality.

This is why creating a grading curve can have its issues sometimes.

45 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Yeah I was going to ask about how the rearrangement worked, my Seasonic G series was a Tier 2 with the old list but I guess its the new tier 3 as now we have the S class?

I mean if you directly translated from the old lists.

Or in reverse the Tier S could be Tier 0 but I understand that might imply poor quality.

This is why creating a grading curve can have its issues sometimes.

I'm probably going to merge a bunch of the tiers in the next list. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Good to know.

May I suggest a plausible grade scale?

Here is my idea:

Your basis here is similar to how a school would do it but to simplify it may need some tweaking.

The best would be 1A followed by 2A  this will align the S class with the A class on the current list but still distinct

The second best B graded followed by C grade

The Top three grade letters should be highlighted or underlined to signify they are the better choices, and yes the cut off is C grade which is the same as the old tier 3.... not the best but if you need a cheap power supply these are the better ones.

Then there is the D class, the D in this case can stand for danger.

Then much like a school would there is a letter skip as we dont see a E grade so instead we have F

F for failure

Then finally G, G for garbage never ever buy even under pain of death.

This will keep the relative scaling we have now but make it more clear and more refined.

You could even still have the S class as its own grade but it has to be indicated that the following grades are also good too like grade A B and even C.

Now one can have more fun with this scaling and creating a more ESRB/MPAA  ratings type ranking system:

Ex: Excellent

VG: Very Good

S: Satisfactory

M: Mediocre

P: Poor

G: Garbage

This will simplify the scaling but if you are to make a change like this you would have to explain your grading system more.

I mean as it stands now yes having so many tiers does muddle the waters, 8 Tiers is certainly a crazy amount for a ranking system like this.

You could simplify that to 5 or 6 tiers

This is of course a suggestion, again all grading and ranking systems have their positives and negatives and finding the right formula is rather tough especially in a market like this.

i feel like seasonic focus plus gold shouldnt be in tier A since theres proven problem with them shutting off?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

57 minutes ago, Neftex said:

i feel like seasonic focus plus gold shouldnt be in tier A since theres proven problem with them shutting off?

protections have been resolved

>FPG in same tier as whisper m 

>G3 1 tier lower than G2

that's gotta be a no from me 

Just now, ears_ears said:

>FPG in same tier as whisper m 

>G3 1 tier lower than G2

that's gotta be a no from me 

You seem to be trying to start arguments. Your past couple threads have been chaotic, plus theres quite a few reasons why the g3 is lower than the g2. Do your research or ask someone here on the forums why.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

23 minutes ago, mxk. said:

You seem to be trying to start arguments. Your past couple threads have been chaotic, plus theres quite a few reasons why the g3 is lower than the g2. Do your research or ask someone here on the forums why.

There is one and only one reason the G3 is lower than the G2: protections. And that's only if you approach the max rated wattage of the G3, which most people aren't going to do.

The FPG has noticably worse build quality than the whisper m even though it technically has a better topology (full bridge vs half bridge). Read the Tom's Hardware articles on both if you don't believe me.

I'm free to debate but I'm not free to start ad hominem attacks. Thank you for reading.

48 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

The FPG has noticably worse build quality than the whisper m even though it technically has a better topology (full bridge vs half bridge). Read the Tom's Hardware articles on both if you don't believe me.

FPG? What power supply is that?
And I don't understand what point you're making.

Just now, Rexper said:

FPG? What power supply is that?
And I don't understand what point you're making.

focus plus gold

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I assume S is the best? Or it means something else?

best

although i'm sad they didn't include the ax1600i

7 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

focus plus gold

Why do you believe the focus plus is lower build quality than whisper M?

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Yea that looks decent, maybe he knows somthing we don't.

The Corsair AX1600i is the highest quality power supply on the market. Period.

They probably don't know it exists yet.

4 minutes ago, Rexper said:

Why do you believe the focus plus is lower build quality than whisper M?

I'll take this one from Tom's Hardware:

-Absolute trash 3.3V transient response (failed almost every test)

-Very noisy (30-40+ dbA range), especially under max load

-Bulky cables

-"Found lots of long component leads on the main PCB" 

-Short distance between pheripheral connectors

-5VSB efficiency should be higher (Whisper m has same issue to be fair)

Whisper m issues:

-hold up time (doesn't really matter unless you use a UPS often)

-ATX cable connector is tough to connect to the PSU side

5VSB efficiency should be higher

Just now, Rexper said:

The Corsair AX1600i is the highest quality power supply on the market. Period.

They probably don't know it exists yet.

Power supplies are getting pretty capped out, I think the best is 95% efficiency that exists. Not sure if 100% is even possible.... prolly 97% would be possible maybe, soon they will have to shift focus onto different stuff. Would be cool to have a psu that connected to USB and could show load stats, any issues..... ect

34 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Power supplies are getting pretty capped out, I think the best is 95% efficiency that exists. Not sure if 100% is even possible.... prolly 97% would be possible maybe, soon they will have to shift focus onto different stuff. Would be cool to have a psu that connected to USB and could show load stats, any issues..... ect

Efficiency does not equal quality.
The Corsair PSUs with Corsair Link (The "i" models) have a USB connector that plugs in to the motherboard and reports information about the PSU. This includes the AX1600i that the poster you replied to mentioned.
It's "etc", not "ect".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

36 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Power supplies are getting pretty capped out, I think the best is 95% efficiency that exists. Not sure if 100% is even possible.... prolly 97% would be possible maybe, soon they will have to shift focus onto different stuff.

There's alot more to power supplies than efficiency, already. Just take a look at all the thing Aris tests in his reviews: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-ax1600i-psu,5406-4.html

Would be cool to have a psu that connected to USB and could show load stats, any issues..... ect

That's already a thing. Corsair Link for example on the AX1600i.

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Efficiency does not equal quality.
The Corsair PSUs with Corsair Link (The "i" models) have a USB connector that plugs in to the motherboard and reports information about the PSU. This includes the AX1600i that the poster you replied to mentioned.
It's "etc", not "ect".

True, but still efficency is good, it does seem like there is going to come a point whare theres not much they can do to make them better. Except completely fanless

Also who knows maybe I meant ect, electro shock therapy seems to fit the conversation lol. 

45 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

I'll take this one from Tom's Hardware:

-Absolute trash 3.3V transient response (failed almost every test)

-Very noisy (30-40+ dbA range), especially under max load

-Bulky cables

-"Found lots of long component leads on the main PCB" 

-Short distance between pheripheral connectors

-5VSB efficiency should be higher (Whisper m has same issue to be fair)

Whisper m issues:

-hold up time (doesn't really matter unless you use a UPS often)

-ATX cable connector is tough to connect to the PSU side

5VSB efficiency should be higher

- The higher wattage Whispers are also rather loud with 40+ dBA at higher loads. But both the Focus 550 and Whisper 550 are quiet, rated Lambda A and A+ respectively. This tier list probably doesnt consider noise anyways. It's difficult to mash so many factors together, which is why these lists don't really work. Imagine a tier lists for cars...

- Cabling probably isnt considered either in this list. But I'd like to point out the Whisper uses cable-caps aswell, which can make cable management tricky.

- The long component leads is litterally the only thing on your list that has to do with build quality

- Hold up time can be useful for micro power losses, as well as UPS compatibility. If your power grids aren't stable, hold up time is something to consider.

- I don't believe efficiency is considered in this tier list either.

It isn't fair to skip to the last page of the review to look at the con list. Because the bulk of the electrical performance aspects are very good on both power supplies.