Laptop runs faster on battery

So I noticed that while doing a stress test (prime 95, aida64, extreme Intel burn test, etc) on my laptops CPU to check temps that when my AC adapter is plugged in my laptop it will down clock to 2ghz at 35w and if I unplug my AC adapter the CPU will clock itself to 2.40ghz and consume 45w. I've heard of this happening the other way around but not happening this way.

Note: When plugged in my temps hit 70c.   When on battery temps reach normally 80 - 90c room temp during test was 24c. Normal room temp 22c.

I know it's not the original CPU but it is running just fine until I noticed this

Laptop: Lenovo B570

Ram: 16GB 1866mhz Corsair CMSX16GX3M2A1866C10

CPU: Intel i7 2760QM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

HDD: Seagate 1TB 5400rpm

Battery: China knock off advertised as 7800mwh but according to Aida64 extreme is 7400mwh.

AC Adapter: Lenovo official 20v 90w AC adapter 

532799618_AClineUnpluged.png.50c5ceaa28c047f9e660eb7e876e04d3.png565277237_AClinePlugedIn.png.e57626603142e9d6ccbd7432638afaba.png

Edited by ShadowDarkblade

2 hours ago, LukzForEver said:

It could be that the charger isnt supplying enough power

Original charger is 65w so I got a 90w to allow for Higher power draw.  Just tested a universal 20v 120w Ac adapter and it does the same. 

Very od ???

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Check power management settings in control panel. The mains power settings might be set to use less power. It's also possible that to charge the battery, the CPU doesn't get the full power draw.

####################  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

####################  GPU: Radeon Vega 8 

####################  Ram: 8gb DDR4 2666MHz

####################  SSD: OEM 128gb M SATA 

####################  HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1tb 5400RPM

7 hours ago, Death Hawk said:

Check power management settings in control panel. The mains power settings might be set to use less power. It's also possible that to charge the battery, the CPU doesn't get the full power draw.

Checked my power setting and there identical. Pulled battery from system and there is no change. Also the battery is rated for 12v AC line is 20v

1 hour ago, ShadowDarkblade said:

Checked my power setting and there identical. Pulled battery from system and there is no change. Also the battery is rated for 12v AC line is 20v

I see you're using an after market battery, perhaps it's spitting out more power than the official one. Normally performance on mains is higher than on battery. Can't put my finger on what's going on.

####################  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

####################  GPU: Radeon Vega 8 

####################  Ram: 8gb DDR4 2666MHz

####################  SSD: OEM 128gb M SATA 

####################  HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1tb 5400RPM

18 minutes ago, Death Hawk said:

I see you're using an after market battery, perhaps it's spitting out more power than the official one. Normally performance on mains is higher than on battery. Can't put my finger on what's going on.

I will Charge the original battery and test it. Its still got a little life left. 

38 minutes ago, Death Hawk said:

Tested with original battery goes to 45w no issues. I'm at a loss on when could be causing this. Would reinstalling windows help?

• 2 weeks later...