University laptop recommendations (CompSci)

Smiffy_

Hey,

My current Surface Pro is too large for the university lecture desks (due to the tablet stand) and therefore I am planning on selling it to my father and purchasing a laptop.

I have a decent gaming rig in my room and don't want to spend a fortune on a laptop but I need one for my course. I was thinking of getting an older Thinkpad and possibly installing an SSD.

I don't really want to spend over £500 altogether, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryan

if you have a gaming rig already... just go with anything with a strong cpu as the gpu wont matter much. If you want a new one, I was eyeing the acer e15 with i5-8250u and mx150 gpu. idk how much it will cost where you are, but in the US, it is $600 + tax

7 hours ago, Smiffy_ said:

I don't really want to spend over £500 altogether

Go used, your budget is really tight for something that's new and decent. The suggestions above aren't really good:

E15 - OKish overall: poor battery life, outdated design with low QC, TN panel, limited cooling

HP 15 da - mediocre overall build quality

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128