Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ryan Shrout leaves PCPer and joins... Intel

BroliviaWilde

Another in a line of tech  media journalists who has left the media to go to work for a tech company itself:

"...  Today marks the beginning of a second journey, one that I didn’t know would ever come. I have accepted a role at Intel as the company’s Chief Performance Strategist. In this capacity, I will help influence and drive performance leadership across Intel’s product portfolio. My first day will be in mid to late November. It is a challenge that I am looking forward to pursuing and an opportunity to catalyze Intel’s leadership even further.

" ... 

Starting today, I will no longer be involved with PC Perspective or the content that will be posted. In reality, Ken has been managing that already with the help of Allyn, Josh, Jeremy, and the other team members. I am fully relinquishing ownership of the site to the team, removing myself from all aspects of finances and content prior to my Intel start date.

Shrout Research is another venture that closes as this opportunity opens. I am extremely proud of what I was able to create there in a short period, working with some of the largest technology companies in the world on product design, go-to-market planning, message testing, and much more. Contracts and projects have been finalized. ..."

He starts with Intel sometime in November, hopefully PcPer will stay at the same level or even get better after he is gone.  

Source

Rock On!

Just saw this via twitter and still digesting the news... I'm not sure what exactly a "Chief Performance Strategist" is but I think the way Ryan thinks would be good for the role.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Shiiiiit! I loved their content... Hope Al stays there ;(

BUT I wish him all the best for his new position!

And I am still a AMD fan :DDD

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, porina said:

I'm not sure what exactly a "Chief Performance Strategist" is 

Same, I want some clarification but I decide how I feel about this

Work Laptop: HP ZBook 15  i7-4800QM 16GB  Home Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 720s i7 8550u Phone: Galaxy S9  

CPU: R7 3700X GPU: GTX 1070 it Strix HDD: 1TB WD Blue SSD: 128gb 970 Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4

Wow very surprising to me as I am a patreon supporter and weekly watcher of theirs. I always preferred the weekly podcast when Ryan was present. PcPer I like for its in depthness on things though PcPer lacks a lot of  fun character. They're great for facts just not entertainment. Probably why their growth has been very slow compared to most. I feel this will only hinder them. I may just be leaving them as a subscriber even though I like Josh cause time is important and why watch something you don't fully enjoy and when there is better content elsewhere. I'll probably still do the occasional check-ins just out of curiosity. 

11 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Sounds like a PR spin doctor position to me, last I knew Ryan didn't have an engineering degree or anything does he?

I don't think he is going to be designing cpus tbh. You can still do testing and research without an engineering degree and I would argue that someone with his experience would be better equipped to do something like that for Intel than a lot of people with engineering degrees. 

9 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Sounds like a PR spin doctor position to me, last I knew Ryan didn't have an engineering degree or anything does he?

Not necessarily.  Shrout is the sort who can identify performance bottlenecks and understands the effects of chip architecture decisions.  He can probably point out areas where Intel is struggling versus AMD or ARM, even if he's not the sort who could provide more than an abstract solution for the problem.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Not necessarily.  Shrout is the sort who can identify performance bottlenecks and understands the effects of chip architecture decisions.  He can probably point out areas where Intel is struggling versus AMD or ARM, even if he's not the sort who could provide more than an abstract solution for the problem.

I'm sure there are people in Intel who are not negligent of what their strengths and weaknesses are, but they might not be the key decision makers. Ryan as a newcomer to the organisation has more potential to consider different viewpoints and maybe steer the direction differently.

Not sure how long I've been watching the main PCPer weekly show, but Ryan strikes me as the industry all rounder, with a good level of understanding in most things. On shows where he's not present, which would be most of the recent past, they lack a certain something. The rest of the team combined doesn't reach the same level.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Always was an intel shill that guy, finaly show his true colors, he managed to get his dream job after all that ass kissing. If even with people like Ryan intel still makes 5ghz 28 core cpu lies and gimped benchmarks then not much left to say by people who work at intel, the lowest.

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

I've had a lot of situations where actual engineers were incapable of understanding the needs of customers or consumers. They are often so absorbed in what they do they do not understand how normal people think or perceive products. Very few people can be on a professional level and still be able to dumb themselves down enough to think like normal people. I think that's where Ryan is at. He has the knowledge way above average consumers but he was connecting with them majority of time he was working with PCPer. He has what corporate monkeys don't. They are entirely disconnected from what people want or expect from products. And we're back to that "absorption" in what you do which is a demise of most. He'll have to stay with the crowd of normies to avoid the disconnect that comes naturally over time.

It's the same with software devs or game devs I have the most experience with. Often you get the feeling they aren't even using or playing the product they are making. And when you're at that stage, you can't possibly make a good product.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's the same with software devs or game devs I have the most experience with. Often you get the feeling they aren't even using or playing the product they are making. And when you're at that stage, you can't possibly make a good product.

Their are CAD software that I have used that it is clear that the people that programmed portions of the software are not aware of how a designer uses the application.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I don't think he is going to be designing cpus tbh. You can still do testing and research without an engineering degree and I would argue that someone with his experience would be better equipped to do something like that for Intel than a lot of people with engineering degrees. 

Often you need an outside observer that works for you who can critically and objectively evaluate your products and efforts but still be on board with you. When you're working with something for too long it becomes a routine and you become too absorbed in what you do, losing the ability to be objectively critical or look at a product and always manage to find something that could be done better. Those people who manage to stay critical after years of working in same field are the ones that often disliked by the men in suits, but they are the ones who often say "guys, we suck at X, lets make it better". And companies need people like this if they want to be among the best at what they do. Sadly, that's often not the case...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Well, this is a little surprising. It's not a bad move for Intel, though after Ryan's dust up with Adored, it's going to be a little awkward in the space for a bit.

interesting move. but i gotta say , the pcper video content has drastically changed compared to last year, lost it's flavor,  i mean only a select few would love to watch podcastish type of contents around technology contrasting to what is available from other channels. now that he's out of the game , it'd be interesting to see how the channel would go on.

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

first Anand. Now Shrout.

..... Linus? :c

imagine him working at intel & on day one he instinctively tips over a million dollar worth of silicon wafer onto the ground & shatters it into pieces & gets fired immediately.

Details separate people.

After their ballsup with the latest bunch of independent performance results on the 9th gen, it doesn't surprise me that they want someone who knows their shit to make sure it doesn't happen again.  He probably replaced the bozo who signed off on the 9th gen results. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

first Anand. Now Shrout.

..... Linus? :c

you forgot Johnyguru.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, this is a little surprising. It's not a bad move for Intel, though after Ryan's dust up with Adored, it's going to be a little awkward in the space for a bit.

Honestly I feel Adored came down a little to hard and a bit unreasonable. I've never felt like Ryan was a total Intel shill. Maybe he slightly leaned that way but marginally so. The podcasts he always gave plenty of time to talk about AMD in positive light for example and gave good fair points. I'm a current AMD fanboy who's been one since well before Zen's release saying this(even though there shouldn't exist fanboys and everyone should be objective but with Intel's crap lately I really can't move to the middle). Plus they now have this on all of their reviews since the overblown Adored callout. He/they tried to do right. 

image.png.15ea3b63b63a63a19f02ed5306799ffb.png

BTW can we just acknowledge the fact no-one else does this ^

Just now, Orcblood said:

Honestly I feel Adored came down a little to hard and a bit unreasonable. I've never felt like Ryan was a total Intel shill. Maybe he slightly leaned that way but marginally so. The podcasts he always gave plenty of time to talk about AMD in positive light for example and gave good fair points. I'm a current AMD fanboy who's been one since well before Zen's release saying this(even though there shouldn't exist fanboys and everyone should be objective but with Intel's crap I lately I really can't move to the middle). Plus they now have this on all of their reviews since the overblown Adored callout. He/they tried to do right. 

image.png.15ea3b63b63a63a19f02ed5306799ffb.png

The dust up was a bit of a hatchet job from Adored, but Ryan & crew had an "appearance of impropriety" issue. Though the main reason that all happened was PcPer getting all of those Intel SSDs when no one else could get them for testing. PcPer owned up to it quite well and their disclosure statements are great. It's good for the industry, in fact. And it's not like it's hurt Ryan, given he's taking a pretty interesting position at Intel.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The dust up was a bit of a hatchet job from Adored, but Ryan & crew had an "appearance of impropriety" issue. Though the main reason that all happened was PcPer getting all of those Intel SSDs when no one else could get them for testing. PcPer owned up to it quite well and their disclosure statements are great. It's good for the industry, in fact. And it's not like it's hurt Ryan, given he's taking a pretty interesting position at Intel.

It may not have hurt Ryan but it most probably hurt PcPer. The amount of Adored fan's (I am one and still subscribe and watch his videos and agree with most things he says) saying praises to adored and screws to PcPer makes this whole thing feel overblown and a decent size hit to PcPer. I really feel Adored did alot of damage without giving them the benefit of the doubt and instead over dramatized it. PcPer is still doing fine just maybe not what they could have been or are doing. 

4 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

It may not have hurt Ryan but it most probably hurt PcPer. The amount of Adored fan's (I am one and still subscribe and watch his videos and agree with most things he says) saying praises to adored and screws to PcPer makes this whole thing feel overblown and a decent size hit to PcPer. I really feel Adored did alot of damage without giving them the benefit of the doubt and instead over dramatized it. PcPer is still doing fine just maybe not what they could have been or are doing. 

Adored really only has a small following,  When that whole thing blew up nearly every tech publication pointed out the unfairness of adored's claims and highlighted the issues as they were.  I think the reality is those who follow adored and held up pitchforks to pcper are the ones not likely to be swayed with reason anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Adored really only has a small following

What they lack in numbers they compensate with their zeal xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Adored really only has a small following,  When that whole thing blew up nearly every tech publication pointed out the unfairness of adored's claims and highlighted the issues as they were.  I think the reality is those who follow adored and held up pitchforks to pcper are the ones not likely to be swayed with reason anyway.

But his followers can spreed that story to others and those people will just avoid PcPer as its not worth the time and hassle to them of digging into and hearing both sides and seeing the outcome. I'm probably being to pessimistic now though. The amount of people who end up avoiding PcPer vs those who will never have an idea is probably small.