Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi All,

My current phone (an Honor 8), has been exhibiting some battery and performance issues recently, and with the smartphone season upon us, I'd like to buy a new phone. However, I'm having some trouble finding a phone that I'd enjoy using that would fit my criteria.

 

One of the criteria would be that the phone would last me 3ish years, or more as after that time I'll be off to uni, and I doubt that money will be very plentiful at that time. Secondly, I'd like the screen to be either a very, very good LCD, or preferably an OLED, with ideally no notch, though if the only thing that doesn't fit is the notch, well, I guess I'll get used to it. Sort of fitting with the display is the battery, I want it to last at least 4h of screen on time, and the whole day's worth of use. Also about the display, I prefer smaller phones, under 6" of display ideally. I also take a lot of photos with my phone, so the camera should be at least 'good'. Finally, I want the software to be clean and have as little bloatware as possible. I'll be buying sim-free and in Europe, so I can get most if not all devices here. Price wise, hit me with it, I don't care. I'm looking for a flagship experience, and thus I have to be OK with a flagship price.

 

I've avoided mentioning brands because I want to be as objective as possible, Instead of being emotionally attached to an OS or a brand, which is something I do too much and let it get in the way of purchasing good phones from other companies.

 

If you can, please tell me as many phones that you know that even loosely fit my categories, thanks.

 

-Lukas

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oneplus 5T. Now I own a OP6 sooo I can't say that I have owned a OP5T, but I've heard from friends it's pretty good. :) If you like good 3.5mm jack audio, then there's the LG V30 with a dedicated DAC :) 

Please ping or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fluffybakon said:

Hi All,

My current phone (an Honor 8), has been exhibiting some battery and performance issues recently, and with the smartphone season upon us, I'd like to buy a new phone. However, I'm having some trouble finding a phone that I'd enjoy using that would fit my criteria.

 

One of the criteria would be that the phone would last me 3ish years, or more as after that time I'll be off to uni, and I doubt that money will be very plentiful at that time. Secondly, I'd like the screen to be either a very, very good LCD, or preferably an OLED, with ideally no notch, though if the only thing that doesn't fit is the notch, well, I guess I'll get used to it. Sort of fitting with the display is the battery, I want it to last at least 4h of screen on time, and the whole day's worth of use. Also about the display, I prefer smaller phones, under 6" of display ideally. I also take a lot of photos with my phone, so the camera should be at least 'good'. Finally, I want the software to be clean and have as little bloatware as possible. I'll be buying sim-free and in Europe, so I can get most if not all devices here. Price wise, hit me with it, I don't care. I'm looking for a flagship experience, and thus I have to be OK with a flagship price.

 

I've avoided mentioning brands because I want to be as objective as possible, Instead of being emotionally attached to an OS or a brand, which is something I do too much and let it get in the way of purchasing good phones from other companies.

 

If you can, please tell me as many phones that you know that even loosely fit my categories, thanks.

 

-Lukas

A Nokia 8 Sirroco might fit your criteria. A downside is that it has an older Snapdragon 835. Other options are the Sony Xperia XZ3, HTC U12+ or the Galaxy S9 (if you can tolerate the samsung experience ui)

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0GHz, 1.3V), Cooler Master ML360L V2, MSI Z370 Gaming M5, ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 OC, 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3600, 500GB WD Black SN750, 512GB SanDisk X400, 4TB Toshiba N300, Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular PSUCooler Master MB530P

 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro VG271UP 144Hz QHD IPS Monitor, Acer H236HL 75Hz FHD IPS Monitor, Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L RGB + HyperX Keycaps, Logitech G703 Lightspeed, HyperX Cloud Alpha, Audio-Technica ATH-ANC500BT

 

Laptops:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 15 Advanced Edition, Intel Core i7-8750H (-130mV), Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 MaxQ, 2x8GB Samsung DDR4, 512GB Samsung PM981

 

 

Phones:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy S10+ 128GB Prism White, iPhone Xr 64GB Product Red

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the description I read 3 devices pop up in my head, I'll sort them from expensive to less expensive, see which one fancy you. Samsung Galaxy S8+/S9 (no notch SD835/845) | OnePlus 6 (notch SD845 or 5T (no notch SD835) | Nokia 7 Plus (No notch SD660 Exceptionally good battery it's 3800mAh and it gives me around 7-8 hours screen time on average use YouTube + gaming + messenger constantly) or the newer one Nokia X7 or whatever they are going to call it (notch SD710).

Motherboard: MSI BM250-PRO-VD           <-- Build 1    Build 2 -->        Motherboard: ASRock Z370M Pro4                     
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700                                                   CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080                                          GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX660 (Saving money for RTX 2080)
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz                                        RAM: HyperX Predator 16gb DDR4 3000mhz
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620w Bronze+                                      PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 650W
CPU Cooler: Gammax 400                                                    CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
SSD: Kingston A400 250GB                                                  HDD/SSD: 3 * 1TB WD blue Kingston A400 250GB 
Headphones: HYPERX CLOUD ALPHA                                                                                               Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB
Monitor: LG 24GM77                                                                                                               Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600
CaseFans: 3 140mm                                                                                                                Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8+
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 500
Phone: Nokia 7 plus



hehe yeaaah boy
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2018_09/111.PNG.5713b4f39cae3a5badac216b30d99e65.PNG

 

You want to code but don't know how ? (Personal list)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Idkwhat2putheresowhatever said:

A Nokia 8 Sirroco might fit your criteria. A downside is that it has an older Snapdragon 835. Other options are the Sony Xperia XZ3, HTC U12+ or the Galaxy S9 (if you can tolerate the samsung experience ui)

But they discontinued Nokia 8 Sirroco, that would not be a good purchase in my opinion

Motherboard: MSI BM250-PRO-VD           <-- Build 1    Build 2 -->        Motherboard: ASRock Z370M Pro4                     
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700                                                   CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080                                          GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX660 (Saving money for RTX 2080)
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz                                        RAM: HyperX Predator 16gb DDR4 3000mhz
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620w Bronze+                                      PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 650W
CPU Cooler: Gammax 400                                                    CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
SSD: Kingston A400 250GB                                                  HDD/SSD: 3 * 1TB WD blue Kingston A400 250GB 
Headphones: HYPERX CLOUD ALPHA                                                                                               Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB
Monitor: LG 24GM77                                                                                                               Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600
CaseFans: 3 140mm                                                                                                                Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8+
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 500
Phone: Nokia 7 plus



hehe yeaaah boy
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2018_09/111.PNG.5713b4f39cae3a5badac216b30d99e65.PNG

 

You want to code but don't know how ? (Personal list)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Oneplus 5T. Now I own a OP6 sooo I can't say that I have owned a OP5T, but I've heard from friends it's pretty good. :) If you like good 3.5mm jack audio, then there's the LG V30 with a dedicated DAC :) 

Oneplus 5t makes no sense, when the 6 is already out, and even the better 6t right around the corner.

If you want a Oneplus ,you buy the latest. Period. Except you buy second hand of course.

 

Already now, you can't buy a OP6 on oneplus page anymore, just all the shops still having their stores filled, waiting for someone to buy them.

And this is the by Far biggest issue with Oneplus. Their prices do not change at all over time. Sometimes there are Deals from some shops, sure. but then back to MSRP. Look at the Galaxy lineup, S9 is now just as cheap as a Oneplus 6. Even 9+ comes very close.

When the new Model launches after 5-7 months, the old one just gets discontinued.

 

 

And if you go to importeurs like Gearbest, you should compare prices. Oneplus 5 / 5t are almost not a bit cheaper than the late 6 model ? Even if its 50 bucks.. not worth saving.

 

If Battery Life is very important, i would wait for the OP6t, and get that, since this will get even better there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the iPhone XR

 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the 850$ please get a iPhone XR.

Performace: absolutely blows android out of the water. The best android phones are not even holding up to the one year old iPhone X or 8

screen: yes lower res but I own a iPhone X and my bro got his XR today. From a normal usage distance I can’t tell the difference in sharpnes

 

cam: trades blows with the pixel 3 and is better than any other android cam

 

Batery: there are androids who hold longer but this is very berry decent and enough 

 

security: fnk best in class. And you will love Face ID

HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×