Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broken(?) Seagate 1tb Barracuda HDD wont let my computer boot.

wllfqt

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
4 minutes ago, wllfqt said:

No problem mydude, but yhea even if its just plugged in it wont boot. But i used to boot from this drive so im thinking it maybe deafaults and makes the HDD the boot drive? But again it freezes right before the BIOS so i cant check that nor change it.

Disconnect the HDD. Go in to your BIOS and assign your SSD as the highest priority boot device.
Shut down, connect the HDD, and boot the system. Hopefully the BIOS will remember to boot from the SSD and ignore the HDD.
In windows from the SSD you may be able to access some of the files on the HDD to pull any data off the drive. You could also run chkdsk /r on the HDD to see if it can find & fix any errors that may have been caused by losing power during de-fragmentation process.

TLDR: Broken(?) disk wont let me boot past the press del to open bios page, wondering if i can save the disk somehow as i think its not a hardware fault but a software one.

So i used to run a single 1TB HDD in my setup but over the course of a night it somehow broke, i think. My computer gets to the bios screen, but i cant open the bios and it gets no further. Luckily for me, prior to this i bought a 120 gig ssd from ebay, which arrived like 2 days after it broke. But is this a known problem? I cant even open the bios, so i dont know if the motherboard even can see the HDD. If i plug in the power to the disk and boot my computer i can hear it whirring up just like it always has, also i might have had a hard shutdown while defraging the disk the night before it broke and that is why im thinking its maybe the encoding on the disk and not physical breaking of some sort.

Any ideas what i should do next to troubleshoot? Dont care about the data on it but it would be nice to not have to buy a new disk. 

PS: Have tried using known to work sata and sata power cable but no difference. 

WIN10 64bit.

Thanks in advance and first time posting so sorry if the formating is really bad.

Disconnect the disk you should be able to boot into the bios. If your windows data are corrupted then you need to reinstall windows

2 minutes ago, Belzebuth said:

Disconnect the disk you should be able to boot into the bios. If your windows data are corrupted then you need to reinstall windows

Thank you for the reply, but as i tried to say the disk is disconnected and i now run a ssd with windows which works nice, i was just wondering if this was a know problem with these disks and if  there is any hope saving the disk so i dont have to buy a new one. But as i cant get into the bios with the disk connected i cant really troubleshoot it. 

Thank you for the reply, but as i tried to say the disk is disconnected and i now run a ssd with windows which works nice, i was just wondering if this was a know problem with these disks and if  there is any hope saving the disk so i dont have to buy a new one. But as i cant get into the bios with the disk connected i cant really troubleshoot it. 

Yep sorry, I misread.

So even if you don't boot out of your HDD, if it's still pluged in, you can't boot ?

1 minute ago, Belzebuth said:

Yep sorry, I misread.

So even if you don't boot out of your HDD, if it's still pluged in, you can't boot ?

No problem mydude, but yhea even if its just plugged in it wont boot. But i used to boot from this drive so im thinking it maybe deafaults and makes the HDD the boot drive? But again it freezes right before the BIOS so i cant check that nor change it.

Disconnect the HDD. Go in to your BIOS and assign your SSD as the highest priority boot device.
Shut down, connect the HDD, and boot the system. Hopefully the BIOS will remember to boot from the SSD and ignore the HDD.
In windows from the SSD you may be able to access some of the files on the HDD to pull any data off the drive. You could also run chkdsk /r on the HDD to see if it can find & fix any errors that may have been caused by losing power during de-fragmentation process.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Thanks for the reply ?, i tried what you suggested but i still had the same problem but later i found this USB external universal disk box thingy so i put the hdd in there and it worked for short periods of about 2mins before i had to reboot the disk thing. 

hdd2.thumb.jpg.902c4cbe67c517f323ad7af157c84127.jpg

Please ignore how crusty the computer is, but here you can se the setup. Anyways so i tried running chkdsk /r on the disk, and the first time it stopped working but the second time it managed to finnish.

hdd4.thumb.jpg.efadb2aef7aec9c7475446be30dcb2b8.jpg

But do you think the master file table was the problem? Asked my dad earlier what he thought and a broken mft was his suggestion as well. As of now it has been stable for almost an hour, but i will reformat the disk, connect internally again and update this post later.

But thank you so much for your help ❤️, you might have just saved me like 50$

UPDATE: The bios had some problems recognising both disks but after messing around with what ports they were connected to it seems to work perfectly now. So iguess the broken mft somehow prevented my computer from booting, even though it wasent the boot disk. Thanks so much for the help :)

I really don't see why the MFT prevent you from booting into the BIOs ...

But if everythings is good now we are happy ;)

6 minutes ago, wllfqt said:

UPDATE: The bios had some problems recognising both disks but after messing around with what ports they were connected to it seems to work perfectly now. So iguess the broken mft somehow prevented my computer from booting, even though it wasent the boot disk. Thanks so much for the help :)

My advise would be to pull any data you want off the disk while you can and then replace it.

Try running the quick and long tests built in to Seatools and seeing if it gives you any errors. If the HDD is still within its warranty period you may be able to RMA it to Seagate for a replacement drive.

Also give that PC a dust out while you have it opened :D It's absolutely filthy

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

28 minutes ago, Spotty said:

My advise would be to pull any data you want off the disk while you can and then replace it.

Try running the quick and long tests built in to Seatools and seeing if it gives you any errors. If the HDD is still within its warranty period you may be able to RMA it to Seagate for a replacement drive.

Also give that PC a dust out while you have it opened :D It's absolutely filthy

Back in like 2014 i bought it as a "damaged HDD"(the black paint underneath is missing on like half) from a custom pc builder locally, so i dont think i ever had a warranty. But thanks for the tip about seatools il definetly try that, but as of now ive been able to move a 400gig photo folder from an eksternal drive to the HDD and back again with no problems, compared to not being able to even boot or use it externally for more than 2 mins at a time. Ty for the help again, and yea iguess you are right, its time to give it a clean again 

53 minutes ago, Belzebuth said:

I really don't see why the MFT prevent you from booting into the BIOs ...

But if everythings is good now we are happy ;)

Apparantly really similar things has happened to my dads pc twice due to really garbage electricity grid where we live, but what he said was that your computer checks that file as the first thing it does when it boots up, and that if the entries for the chipset drivers are corrupted it most likely wont boot not even to the bios, but idk.