Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Converting server 2012 MBR to GPT

idiocracy
 Share

Have a server 2012 installation that i want to move to a new server. But the disk is MBR, and i need to convert it to GPT to be able to boot. I've read a few places that it is possible. How would one go about doing this?

The drive is a 60gb ssd with +15gb free space.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, converting is easy using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Then resize partition a little (shrink) and leave unpartitioned space at the beginning (2 GB is more than enough). Then Windows installation disk should fix boot problems.

 

BUT better idea is just switch bios to boot from MBR.

 

Before you start doing anything - made system backup (you may use Macrium Reflect for that or just copy most important files).

 

BTW. You can fix boot after conversion even using Win10 install disk, you don't need server 2012 installation media if you don't have access to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Well, converting is easy using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Then resize partition a little (shrink) and leave unpartitioned space at the beginning (2 GB is more than enough). Then Windows installation disk should fix boot problems.

 

BUT better idea is just switch bios to boot from MBR.

 

Before you start doing anything - made system backup (you may use Macrium Reflect for that or just copy most important files).

 

BTW. You can fix boot after conversion even using Win10 install disk, you don't need server 2012 installation media if you don't have access to it.

Bios doesn't support MBR.

How would i leave space at the beginning?

I don't understand that, if i shrink it won't have the option to shrink from the beginning of a drive as the data is there. You'd have to shrink, then move all the data. Or am i wrong?

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're wrong, because you ask questions and don't even try to use MiniTool Partition Wizard I suggested. :)

You can move, shrink and do anything with partitions - it takes time sometimes but it's easy if you have proper tool.

 

BTW. What bios doesn't support MBR?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You're wrong, because you ask questions and don't even try to use MiniTool Partition Wizard I suggested. :)

You can move, shrink and do anything with partitions - it takes time sometimes but it's easy.

 

I've been playing with AOMEI Partition Assistant which is supposed to be able to do the same. But it can't do what you're saying. But maybe that minitool can.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

I've been playing with AOMEI Partition Assistant which is supposed to be able to do the same. But it can't do what you're saying. But maybe that minitool can.

You know, "Wizard" sounds more powerful than "Assistant". :)

But still - you should have access to at least second computer to made it safe way, fix in case something go wrong, made backup of existing system etc.

 

BTW. Some links:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/convert-mbr-gpt-windows/

https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/convert-mbr-gpt-windows-10-0528.html

 

This second is about your Partition Assistant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You know, "Wizard" sounds more powerful than "Assistant". :)

But still - you should have access to at least second computer to made it safe way, fix in case something go wrong, made backup of existing system etc.

I have access to a second machine, but did no backups besides the vm and some program setting files.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, good luck. I think even your Partition Assistant can do the trick (follow links in previous post).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Anyway, good luck. I think even your Partition Assistant can do the trick (follow links in previous post).

I thought so too, but it can't. It can shrink, but at the end of the drive and not the beginning where the data is. If you notice one of the pics, there's a disk with several partitions. But none of them have unallocated space at the start of the drive. But there's a random unallocated partition in the middle of everything. And somehow that is fine.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

I thought so too, but it can't. It can shrink, but at the end of the drive and not the beginning where the data is. If you notice one of the pics, there's a disk with several partitions. But none of them have unallocated space at the start of the drive. But there's a random unallocated partition in the middle of everything. And somehow that is fine.

Shrink maybe don't do that in Assistant, but there is function "move partition" in Wizard. Anyway it's just info. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Shrink maybe don't do that in Assistant, but there is function "move partition" in Wizard. Anyway it's just info. Good luck.

If i shove it into my desktop, would the wizard be able to do the same. My server is headless so i'm not able to tell what's going on, on it.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just annoying because i don't have either sata power nor sata cables in my desktop. Gonna have to find the psu box, sigh.

 

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Do it, don't ask. :)

Well, that went easy.

 

But didn't work, still won't boot. It boots straight to bios. Disk is detected. Could it have something to do with IDE/AHCI?

Bios only supports AHCI.

Tried repair through cmd when booted from usb installer. No go either.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Use automatic boot repair OR link I gave you before.

Tried the bootrec cmd too, but no bueno. It's not recognised as a boot drive.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, idiocracy said:

Tried the bootrec cmd too, but no bueno. It's not recognised as a boot drive.

Do you tried to use automatic boot repair from win10 installation disk as I wrote?

No commands, just automatic.

That will require some empty, unpartitioned space as I wrote - Windows must create missing partitions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2018 at 6:54 PM, homeap5 said:

Do you tried to use automatic boot repair from win10 installation disk as I wrote?

No commands, just automatic.

That will require some empty, unpartitioned space as I wrote - Windows must create missing partitions.

I tried it. But no go. So eventually i gave up and just did a clean install.

Nope....Just nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×