R9 380 or 1050 Ti?

Jakers038

I may be able to get a 470, however in case I don't manage, I'll maybe be able to get only one of these two cards (very low salaries in my country, so my choice is small & I am already looking at used cards only), so, which one would you choose and why? A 1050 Ti or a 4gb R9 380?

Unfortunately all youtube comparison videos of these 2 cards are full of people screaming "fake" in comments, so I can't rely on that. Power supply and higher TDP aren't a factor in deciding for this case, only pure performance is, so I don't mind the 380's higher tdp.

I'm mostly interested in games with great graphics, hd texture mods (GTA V Redux,etc.) , I make 3d models in Blender (and render them) and I occasionally render some videos for Youtube. Which of the two cards would be better in all or most of these tasks and why?

Only thing I am kind of sure about is that the 1050 Ti is better in dx 11, while the 380 is much better in dx 12&Vulkan, so if games in the future are going to use more and more dx 12, would that be the better choice?

I'd take the 380. That being said if you can swing a 290, I'd take that. They look to be only like 10% more expensive than 380/1050ti but it performs like an RX 570.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

What about used GTX 970? Out of the budget?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

get a used 380x, shouldnt cost much more than a 380 and it will perform inline with a rx570/470

My budget only allows either for a 380 or a 1050 Ti and there's nothing else to find on the ads, at least in my city, I know about all these cards mentioned, the 380x, 960 and 970, but nope, nothing, they either don't exist or are way too expensive.

I am in a talks for a 470, but the seller's asking for a little more than I've got, so I asked him to wait a couple of days and we'll see if I manage to raise the budget, but if not, I'm probably going to have to choose between the 380, 1050 Ti or to wait a little longer and use a integrated gpu in meantime.

Used 970? The r9 ain't bad and you can overclock the hell out of it if you can find one with decent cooling which could withstand the added heat.

48 minutes ago, Wockinine said:

Used 970? The r9 ain't bad and you can overclock the hell out of it if you can find one with decent cooling which could withstand the added heat.

Used, that's the only ones I'm looking at, used 380, used 1050 Ti,etc. At the moment my budget is barely reaching a 100 bucks (I'm a student...from east Europe)

Anyway, I just checked the prices for all these cards and here are the results: the cheapest 970 right now is 180 euros, which is around 205 USD, so pretty much double of what I have, there's even a 1060 6gb sold for the same price (though most are sold for +240 usd), meanwhile RX 470's are around 120-140 usd, most are sold for at least a week or two, so there's some space to negotiate and get a even better deal and that's what I'm trying to do for now.

At the moment there's no 1050 Ti's bellow 150, but they appear every now and then and usually get snatched in the first few hours. R9 380 can be found for anywhere from 100 to 140.

290's are around 160 usd, plus I'd need a new psu to run that beast, that's additional 40-ish USD, so once again, double of my budget. No 380x's, the 390 and 390x are +220 usd, no 960's...

All in all, based on that current situation, I'd say that the 380 is probably my best choice, the only thing that somewhat worries me is amd's compatibility with rendering programs, if you get a Nvidia card, then you can be sure that it will work in any type of a rendering program, 3d or video, but AMD...hm...I don't know, Blender 3d supported my old Radeon 7000 series card up to a few months ago, but then they stopped supporting GCN 1 cards and the program just stopped recognizing it, Sony Vegas also seemed to not react to it, even though I specifically chose the opencl or whatever the AMD option is called, I did a few test runs with GPU acceleration and without GPU, the results were always the same. This could perhaps be my mistake, but I think I made 100% sure that the settings were correct, so I guess that it could be the GCN 1 issue. There's a video game called Outerra and funny enough, it also had problems with the GCN 1 architecture, vehicles would jump and I had to talk with the game dev to try to fix it, they've improved the game engine for gcn 1 cards, but there's still loads of bugs.

If I were to choose the 380 or even 470 if I get it, then I'm worried of the same situation not happening. Both cards use newer architectures, GCN 3 for the 380 and GCN 4 for the 470, so there shouldn't be any problems, but still..

How much do gtx 780s go fof your area? Over here in the UK (im a student as well, I know how it is!) you can pick one up for £70 - £100 because the people who bought them don't realise that its basically the same card as the gtx 970. If not, what about 560/460 4gb as you can OC them to get around rx 570 perf (granted power may be an issue!) and even siock they aren't bad. In a year or so maybe try Xfire. Just a thought

A 780 is around 140 and in another city, none in mine, and it's the smaller 3gb variant, so It's not really worth it.

10 hours ago, Jakers038 said:

A 780 is around 140 and in another city, none in mine, and it's the smaller 3gb variant, so It's not really worth it.

Fair enough. Then go for an r9