ShutUp10, why is everyone still whining about Win10 updates?

desec

This is a thing that I never understood, because from the very first day I upgraded from 7 to 10, I used ShutUp10, recommended by a friend of mine, who is a software dev.

It's a piece of software that allows you to disable "all"(tm) the annoyances of Windows 10, that everyone keeps whining about. Like forced updates! Is that real? Because it is actually hard for me to believe. In my experience Windows downloads the update, but doesn't force me to reboot. Next time I shut down or restart the PC it will tell me "shut down and update" instead of "shut down" (same with restart), but I think that's just fine.

It also allows you to disable many of the "phone home" features, that Microsoft hides. I think. 

SU10 is by a German software company called O&O, that I know personally for their disk management software that I used in the very early 2000s, so I had no issue to trust them. But whenever I tell foreigners about O&O and SU10 they think I'm nuts, because "why should they trust software of an unknown source". On the other hand, the same people keep talking shit on Windows 10, which to me probably thanks to SU10 is a delight to use.

This is not advertising. I am not affiliated with O&O. I'm just irritated by everyone's behavior. And I would love for someone to check this software out and tell a) me I'm an idiot or b) others how awesome it is.

Here's a link to their website: https://www.oo-software.com/en/

You can find SU10 under "products > protect data & systems".

This is my first post here. If the URL above gets scrapped, just google for "shutup10".

Thank you.

EDIT: I did it wrong. I posted this before searching the forum. I'm not the first mentioning SU10. Sorry. Now check it out. 

10 minutes ago, desec said:

Like forced updates! Is that real? Because it is actually hard for me to believe. In my experience Windows downloads the update, but doesn't force me to reboot. Next time I shut down or restart the PC it will tell me "shut down and update" instead of "shut down" (same with restart), but I think that's just fine.

You may have restarted or shut down before the forced reboot period happened. I have on more than one occasion woken up to a computer that was rebooted.

10 minutes ago, desec said:

But whenever I tell foreigners about O&O and SU10 they think I'm nuts, because "why should they trust software of an unknown source". On the other hand, the same people keep talking shit on Windows 10, which to me probably thanks to SU10 is a delight to use.

Just because you trust someone doesn't mean another person trusts them. Especially if they have no reason to trust you in the first place.

Also things that modify the operating system settings and such tend to get a bit more scrutiny (as they should).

12 minutes ago, desec said:

This is not advertising. I am not affiliated with O&O. I'm just irritated by everyone's behavior. And I would love for someone to check this software out and tell a) me I'm an idiot or b) others how awesome it is.

I don't use it nor plan on using it because:

• I really just don't like  yet another piece of software that to me doesn't really add much value to how I use my computer
  • Whatever it can do, I can probably do anyway. And if I can't do it, then I shouldn't trust it because anything that can dive that deep in the OS that an administrative account can't do is scary.
  • I don't do tasks that require the computer to be unattended for long periods of time (this is a major source of why people hate forced reboots), I frequently save my work, and a lot of applications I use can retain the state of what I was doing last anyway. So the forced reboot thing isn't an issue for me.
    • I also don't open what I don't need, so getting back to where I was in the event I get a clean state isn't painful.

Desec, you're right about people complaining about something that is easy to fix. In fact ShutUp10 don't make any magic tricks, just gives you all settings (sometimes hard to find or hidden deep in registry or group policy settings) in one place. Useful.

But don't be surprised that people don't trust it. Some people usually don't trust even programs their install (for example AV software - is used but some people reinstalling system after virus detection, because their don't trust that AV really works).

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You may have restarted or shut down before the forced reboot period happened. I have on more than one occasion woken up to a computer that was rebooted.

Possible, but I doubt that. Not a single time has an update hit me while working or gaming. Or while looking at memes for 10 hours straight.

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't use it nor plan on using it because: (...)

Valid reasons. I suspect you generally don't whine about Windows 10 being "shit".

8 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

ShutUp10 (...) gives you all settings (...hard to find or hidden...) in one place. Useful.

Couldn't summarize it better. Thank you.

I also don't expect anyone to trust it blindly. I just wish there was someone who made a living by testing software on test equipment, who people trust a little more than me, stranger of the internet.

1 hour ago, desec said:

I also don't expect anyone to trust it blindly. I just wish there was someone who made a living by testing software on test equipment, who people trust a little more than me, stranger of the internet.

Even if there is someone who testing everything, lot of programs etc. it gives us nothing really. People still believe in myths, still the first (and mostly last) choice is standard set of programs (like "use VLC, is the best!" or "Total Commander is best filemanager", or "Thunderbird is best email client" - even if it's not true and these programs are the only programs used by person who talk about what is the best choice).

Look at this a little different - people in most cases don't care about settings, they prefer to complain. Why most of people should configure something anyway if they made clean install or reinstall Windows every month or week? Others, who uses their computer and have more interesting hobby than installing Windows every month, knows good tools and uses them. I call it Windows tuning. But lot of users I know just spend lot of money on their computers and uses few selected programs. And never even trying to install anything new. Like one of most common questions - "what is the best media player"? Damn, is it that difficult to install 5 or 6 of them and check which one is the best for user? No, better ask, because installing programs is too much, it's dangerous process that may go wrong somehow and probably PSU stop working after a while.

I was trying to recommend one tool to my friend - well known tool. He wait over 6 months to do that and every time he said "yes, I'll definitely install this one". When his GPU stops working because overheat, it was too late.

Computer is very nice tool. The more programs you have, the better is your working experience. You can open any file, do anything you want, set everything you like, work faster with better personalized programs etc. But that requires testing, installing, configuring and it's time consuming. But it's something that makes your work much faster in the future. PC - "personal computer" that almost nobody personalize and everyone uses the same programs. That is a little funny.

2 hours ago, desec said:

Next time I shut down or restart the PC it will tell me "shut down and update" instead of "shut down" (same with restart), but I think that's just fine.

some people want to turn off their laptop quickly after class and put it in their backpack and leave the class. not having to sit around waiting for it to turn off or have to carry it half open down the stairs worried that it might fall because there are a bunch of students all around them... 

or want to restart their machine and not have it start updating. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, desec said:

It's a piece of software that allows you to disable "all"(tm) the annoyances of Windows 10, that everyone keeps whining about. Like forced updates! Is that real? Because it is actually hard for me to believe. In my experience Windows downloads the update, but doesn't force me to reboot. Next time I shut down or restart the PC it will tell me "shut down and update" instead of "shut down" (same with restart), but I think that's just fine.

IIRC, there are videos in YT showing a forced reboot while gaming.  This was in the earlier versions of Windows 10 though. What made it more embarrassing was this was a game that was streamed. Can't remember the exact vide though.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti