How do i set up my top mounted radiator fans.

rekt1

Hi, I will be using an aio cooler and i will mounting it on the top of my fractal design r6. I would like to know the best orientation for this case. Thanks

2 minutes ago, rekt1 said:

Hi, I will be using an aio cooler and i will mounting it on the top of my fractal design r6. I would like to know the best orientation for this case. Thanks

I would recommend a exhaust configuration. Push or Pull is up to you.

how about push pull? I am thinking about it i just dont know how to set it up.

Just now, rekt1 said:

how about push pull? I am thinking about it i just dont know how to set it up.

i would make sure you have enough room to do a push/pull setup. ie. your motherboard isn't in the way.

What i would recommend is attaching the bottom fans first, pushing through the top with long screws. Then once they're in place, line the top fans up with the radiator, pulling air through (blowing air up), and screw those in with more long screws. Installing a rad with fans on top is definitely easier with extra hands if you have someone who can help you

Just make sure both sets of fans are blowing air up

8 minutes ago, rekt1 said:

I a thermaltake view 71 which is  quite similar to the R6. My configuration is two pull fans in the front with one pushing out the back. I have a corsair 360mm AIO wihich is mounted at the top with fans pushing in.

If you're using an AIO, you just need an exhaust configuration. I use push cuz i don't have a lot of space between he MoBo the top of the case. You could always try a push-pull configuration.

1 minute ago, Shanhara said:

I a thermaltake view 71 which is  quite similar to the R6. My configuration is two pull fans in the front with one pushing out the back. I have a corsair 360mm AIO wihich is mounted at the top with fans pushing in.

If you're using an AIO, you just need an exhaust configuration. I use push cuz i don't have a lot of space between he MoBo the top of the case. You could always try a push-pull configuration.

so a exhaust configuration is better choice than a push pull configuration??

1 hour ago, rekt1 said:

I would do a top mounted push pull with the air moving out of the case.

But you generally don't need a push pull since the AIO should already be pretty good with push or pull. Only do it if you have extra fans lying around.

If you can let me know about what processor you have maybe that can change but as far as I know push pull is good but not worth it unless you have extra fans lying around.

AIOs have normally 20-30mm thick, in this size is push+pull useless with pressure optimized fans, additional fans would add just noise and power useage.     

Not sure how much space you have in the top top section that covers your case, but in my case i had enough room that i was able to mount fans in push pull without all of them being in the way.   it was a little more work, but the fan area up there could handle it, so why not. 

i have moved on from this configuration though since in the end for how much i payed with placement of components at the time.

also i agree with Shanhara, only do this if you have spare fans,   don't spend extra money on good fans either unless you aim for  less noise,  just keep the stock fan as push and nearly any fan that spins will be fine on the back pulling

11 hours ago, rekt1 said:

These are not mutually exclusive. Exhaust / intake is in regard to whether it moves air into and out of the case. Push / pull is the direction the fans are facing in regard to the rad. 

Push / pull will perform better than push or pull generally not by a huge amount so it's not worth doing unless you already have the fans or have money to blow. The stock AIO fans in push should already be enough. 

Having the AIO at the top as exhaust is better for graphics card temps whereas having the mounted at the front as intake is usually better for cpu temps. Since graphics cards temps to be more sensitive to high temps, having the AIO at the top for exhaust is more 'balanced' and generally better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

These are not mutually exclusive. Exhaust / intake is in regard to whether it moves air into and out of the case. Push / pull is the direction the fans are facing in regard to the rad. 

Push / pull will perform better than push or pull generally not by a huge amount so it's not worth doing unless you already have the fans or have money to blow. The stock AIO fans in push should already be enough. 

Having the AIO at the top as exhaust is better for graphics card temps whereas having the mounted at the front as intake is usually better for cpu temps. Since graphics cards temps to be more sensitive to high temps, having the AIO at the top for exhaust is more 'balanced' and generally better. 

so i should mount my rad on the top with an exhaust configuration??

2 minutes ago, rekt1 said:

so i should mount my rad on the top with an exhaust configuration??

Yep, that's good.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

39 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yep, that's good.

ok sure thanks btw do u know any great motherboards for the i7 9700k. Was planning to get that cpu

9 hours ago, rekt1 said:

ok sure thanks btw do u know any great motherboards for the i7 9700k. Was planning to get that cpu

There are plenty of great motherboards. If you're planning a system build or upgrade, you should read this: 

and plan the system as a whole in the New Builds and Planning subforum instead of segregating the discussion.