Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mozilla launches a VPN Service for Firefox to make more monies

AluminiumTech

Mozilla is launching a VPN for Firefox to make more monies.

The Verge reports that Mozilla is partnering with ProtonVPN to offer Firefox users a VPN option which supports Mozilla.

They allegedly chose ProtonVPN for transparency and privacy reasons.

The partnership will launch on Firefox 62 installs where users are on an insecure and open WiFi where an AD will be shown offering ProtonVPN for $10/month which is more than the usual price of $8/month.

Mozilla and ProtonVPN are hoping that people understand the price increase is to help support Mozilla and the majority of revenue will be going to Mozilla with ProtonVPN making less than usual.

Today Mozilla announced that it will be running an experiment where a small group of Firefox users will be shown an ad to purchase a subscription to ProtonVPN, as spotted by ZDNet. In a blog post, Mozilla says it picked ProtonVPN for the partnership due to factors like transparency and data retention policies.

Mozilla is offering ProtonVPN’s services for $10 a month, which is actually $2 more than if you signed up for the same package directly through ProtonVPN. But, the majority of the revenue from ProtonVPN subscriptions that are processed through Mozilla will go directly to Mozilla. Both companies are banking that people will have good will about paying a little more in order to support their “shared goal of making the internet a safer place.”

I feel like Mozilla missed an opportunity here to rebrand a VPN and set their own terms and pricing. I can't imagine ProtonVPN are very thrilled about losing so much profit by supporting Mozilla.

Who wouldn't want their internet traffic to be protected by a Fox? Alas that did not happen :(

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/22/18011072/firefox-protonvpn-subscription-ad-mozilla

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Oneplus 7T (Mid 2021 to present), HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present)

Samaritan XTXH (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB (Mid 2021), Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

1 minute ago, ZeouLs said:

Good thing I use chrome and PIA

?

I'm confused. The whole point of this is to allow people to support Mozilla whilst receiving a service that is high quality.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Oneplus 7T (Mid 2021 to present), HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present)

Samaritan XTXH (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB (Mid 2021), Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

Proton guys don't mess around with security and privacy. There are tons of highly questionable VPN's out there. Like hundreds if you look GooglePlay and frankly majority of them look sketchy.

Btw, ProtonVPN also has an unlimited FREE version. It only comes with 3 locations, USA, Netherlands and Japan, but has no bandwidth limitations which is quite nice.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

eww... pay more for supporting Mozilla? I'll pass. Firefox had its time in the sun and topping market share lists. I'm not sure I trust them not to screw things up again.

Firefox is definitely better at privacy, but chrome handles security much better, and split tunneling with any non-crap VPN already takes care of the main privacy concern (for me anyways).

But I guess more options are generally good.

Edited by Curufinwe_wins
oops

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

eww... pay more for less?

You're not getting less. You're just paying more to support Mozilla.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I'll pass. Firefox had its time in the sun and topping market share lists. I'm not sure I trust them not to screw things up again.

Firefox is definitely better at privacy, but chrome handles security much better, and split tunneling with any non-crap VPN already takes care of the main privacy concern (for me anyways).

But I guess more options are generally good.

Yeah. Although most people probably don't realise how bad the privacy on Chrome is.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

You're not getting less. You're just paying more to support Mozilla.

Thanks for the catch. For some reason, I read this as both paying more to support Mozilla and also only getting an in-browser version or something. My bad.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Well, i applaud mozilla for trying to get more coin this way. Might even buy it, although i dont really have a need for a VPN. Although, i live in Russia, so it surely wont hurt

Currently using free Proton service. They’re probbaly delighted for the exposure this deal will bring.  

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

43 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Well, i applaud mozilla for trying to get more coin this way. Might even buy it, although i dont really have a need for a VPN. Although, i live in Russia, so it surely wont hurt

Definitely a smart way for them to make more money :P.

I already use free plan Proton VPN and i am glad that mozila chose that too. Turns out i made right desicion.

It has great speed and is unlimited in speed but is limited in quantity of devices. On free plan only 1 is allowd.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

How does mozilla make money anyway?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

11 minutes ago, williamcll said:

How does mozilla make money anyway?

Search Engine companies pay browser developers to make a search engine the default.

Usually this is millions of USD per year for major browsers and is their main source of income.

Other ways are donations to Mozilla although not many browsers utilize donations.

I think Mozilla might also sell merch like T-Shirts but don't quote me in that.

Google makes money on Chrome by A) lots of people using Google Search and B) Not having to pay other browser developers to use Google Search Default.

2 hours ago, ZeouLs said:

Good thing I use chrome and PIA

Yikes

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

eww... pay more for supporting Mozilla? I'll pass. Firefox had its time in the sun and topping market share lists. I'm not sure I trust them not to screw things up again

yeah, wouldn't want to give my money to a company that sees benefits in wasting thousands of dollars in attempting to remove the term master/slave from its documentation

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

It would be better if price was the same but knowing Mozilla gets the cut from it. I mean, Proton guys will get huge exposure, but many users will hesitate to go this route given going directly with ProtonVPN is cheaper with no downsides. Right now it's basically zero risk for ProtonVPN with no real benefits other than ppl feeling better for supporting Mozilla. Which they can do anyway by donating directly. So, in a way I'm a bit confused by this deal...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Would this be on mobile too? 

AMD 3700X GTX 1660 Super

Gigabyte X570 Aorus pro 16g 3200MHZ

Cooler Master MS110 combo fractal meshify C

Will be adding Samsung SSD's and an NZXT AIO to cool the CPU when adding voltage.

Haven't used their VPN service but I can vouch for Proton as a company as I use their email service and have used it to replace gmail in every aspect.

@aki adaki

ProtonVPN actually does have their app available on Android not sure for iOS

Can't see this as being a viable option IMO, I know it's to support Mozilla but still a fairly expensive option Vs PIA. I use PIA and have it on all my devices too, costs approx $30-$40 a year, or less if you can find a deal on it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Should've called it TunnelFox for the meme

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I can't imagine ProtonVPN are very thrilled about losing so much profit by supporting Mozilla.

Are you kidding me here?

I'm 100% certain that ProtonVPN are very thrilled about a business deal they just agreed to, to get massive exposure and free advertising with an extremely popular and well known browser.

They might lose some individual profit per user that signs up via FF, but they gain so much more in brand awareness.

I think LTT users kind of forget how few people even know what a VPN is, and those that do, are generally not familiar with very many VPN services. Most FF users have never heard of ProtonVPN, and therefore, ProtonVPN stands to gain a lot from this relationship.

Sure FF could have bought a different VPN service (or started one from scratch) and rebranded it, but that's a large investment, and they might not have the upfront cash to pay for such an investment at the moment. Not to mention that there's no guarantee they'd make their investment back.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Definitely a smart way for them to make more money :P.

More money is relative...

Mozilla is barely a for profit company anyway. They survive on donations and such.

7 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

chrome handles security much better

I will have to look into this

it is still Google tho