Can I use a found amazon gift card? Or will they trace it lol?

WolfLoverPro

Like can amazon see what gift card was redeemed?

if someone reported it lost and that person bought it on their account you know the physical gift cards they deliver ?

of someone reports it missing can amazon put a flag in the gift card number and catch me XD? I mean,,,,... it’s nit like the owned can find it or I can find the owner is it so.......? I mean it does or don’t count as stealing but like......

yes it does count as stealing and yes they would be able to see who redeemed it, as for what type of punishment, no idea.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Eh...

If you have found and amazon gift card and it is still valid, I don't see why you couldn't redeem it.

On the back of the card it states that Amazon isn't liable for any losses to the card.

EDIT: Isn't responsible or liable for any losses, damages or theft to the card.

11 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Eh...

If you have found and amazon gift card and it is still valid, I don't see why you couldn't redeem it.

On the back of the card it states that Amazon isn't liable for any losses to the card.

Hmm ok but can they still see who’s redeemed it lol or do they not knkwknow 

Out of curiosity, how would they know the card is lost/stolen? Surely the person who lost it would need to know the redemption code or some sort of identifier to be able to trace it. If they don't I don't see how Amazon could possibly know you found it.

If I was to buy say... an xbox live 3 month code and lost it on the way home, I'd have no idea what the redemption code is so would have no idea who redeemed it.

Guess it depends, if like you said it was bought off of Amazon then it may be linked to it, it may not.

13 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Hmm ok but can they still see who’s redeemed it lol or do they not knkwknow 

If the person who lost it, has the card number/redemption code, they could report it as missing to Amazon and they would be able to know if you used it, yes.

But if they don't have it or a receipt to prove ownership, they likely won't do anything. (Is there even a unique ID on the receipt that could link it to a particular gift card? Never bought one)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

If the person who lost it, has the card number, they could report it as missing to Amazon and they would be able to know if you used it, yes.

But if they don't have it or a receipt to prove ownership, they likely won't do anything.

2 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

Out of curiosity, how would they know the card is lost/stolen? Surely the person who lost it would need to know the redemption code or some sort of identifier to be able to trace it. If they don't I don't see how Amazon could possibly know you found it.

If I was to buy say... an xbox live 3 month code and lost it on the way home, I'd have no idea what the redemption code is so would have no idea who redeemed it.

Guess it depends, if like you said it was bought off of Amazon then it may be linked to it, it may not.

But they can see it was used on my account ? I don’t just mean redeem but it will show my name and account? Lol becuase then what if they jail me for fraud? Lol 

maybe ifi. Redeem it and buy somthing instantly XD LOL

32 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

But they can see it was used on my account ? I don’t just mean redeem but it will show my name and account? Lol becuase then what if they jail me for fraud? Lol 

maybe ifi. Redeem it and buy somthing instantly XD LOL

Okay, let me rephrase what literally EVERYONE has said in layman's terms:

Person goes to shop, buys amazon gift card.

On the way home, he drops the gift card. (oh no).

You pick up gift card, go home and ask question on LTT forum.

Everyone says if he does not know number on gift card, no, can't trace.

Trololol XD LOL XP KEK

1 hour ago, Netivity said:

40 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

would need to know the redemption code or some sort of identifier to be able to trace it

39 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

But if they don't have it or a receipt to prove ownership, they likely won't do anything

You won't go to jail for fraud or anything like that because you picked up a gift card, get real.

(Holy wow, I stooped to another level this time).

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

no

Depends, innocent people do buy stolen goods, it is an innocent mistake and can happen to anyone.

Buying something you know is stolen, is a crime and if the authorities can prove it, then to jail you go, do not pass go, do not collect your $200. Jail is also known as Con-College as I learned in a movie. Canada is lenient on all crimes.

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Depends, innocent people do buy stolen goods, it is an innocent mistake and can happen to anyone.

Buying something you know is stolen, is a crime and if the authorities can prove it, then to jail you go, do not pass go, do not collect your $200. Jail is also known as Con-College as I learned in a movie. Canada is lenient on all crimes.

what this supposed to be a response to me? i have a feeling it wasn't 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

(Is there even a unique ID on the receipt that could link it to a particular gift card? Never bought one)

Usually since these cards require cash register authorization, the receipt (assuming that wasn't lost too) has a unique string of either number and letters or just numbers. Does not guarantee a return of lost funds however if you find something on the ground (even cash) legally speaking you have to report it to authorities, that said if it was cash 99% of the people would pocket it, but while this is like cash it can be traced with any set of numbers.

Best thing for OP to do is contact amazon and report it as lost, or better yet take it to the police station since there might be some finders keepers law and might permit if unclaimed for OP to use said money.