Anyone ever tried polishing up a scratched pc case with car polish (maguiar's ultimate compound etc)?

framestamp

Hi LTT community,

I'd like to try to fix up an old OEM which i am flipping (hopefully) but it has got some light scratches, has anyone tried polishing up their cases with car polish products (with good results?).

I was thinking of buying some Maguiar's Ultimate Compound on the case but actually worried it will be money thrown down the drain.

Cheers!!!

11 hours ago, framestamp said:

Hi LTT community,

I'd like to try to fix up an old OEM which i am flipping (hopefully) but it has got some light scratches, has anyone tried polishing up their cases with car polish products (with good results?).

I was thinking of buying some Maguiar's Ultimate Compound on the case but actually worried it will be money thrown down the drain.

Cheers!!!

Won't work because the painting on cards is completely different.

While the one on Cars is shiny (and rarely used, if ever), the PC painting are not.

So if the metal is scratched and annoying for you, you might want to remove all the painnt with sanding or wire brushes and repaint it the way you want it to.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Won't work because the painting on cards is completely different.

While the one on Cars is shiny (and rarely used, if ever), the PC painting are not.

So if the metal is scratched and annoying for you, you might want to remove all the painnt with sanding or wire brushes and repaint it the way you want it to.

Yeah i need to consider the money i'm investing in it too, i don't want to overspend and lose cash when i sell it... I might just have to accept the light scratches and buff it up a litte bit. But thanks again for helping me out on this one Stefan!!!

11 hours ago, r4tch3t said:

If its unpainted metal then yes, plastic maybe. 

If it's painted or anodised you may have problems with colour. 

It's painted metal (old HP OEM) the scratches aren't that bad at all but i like to make things look pretty.... Guess i'll have to accept the scratches!

Thanks for helping me out r4tch3t!!!