Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I get a laptop or tablet for college even though I already have a rig at home?

What is your guys opinions on either getting my self a laptop or tablet for college? I am asking since I already have rig at home if I have something that requires more power. 

For a tablet, I was thinking on something like the Mi 4 plus or surface go. On laptop is more or less still undecided

lappy top. I'd bring your rig if you can for your dorm, and if you have a tight budget, maybe just get a chromebook or old laptop for taking notes in class

I dont like the "tablet experience" my phone is already gigantic (even though its probably medium size nowadays). I got myself a HP stream 14 recently and I am very happy with it, I even use it at home more often than my desktop.

mY s YsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??
 HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it?
 MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Cheapish laptop with a decent keyboard will come in handy for typing notes for lectures, unless you particularly like writing notes etc. You can also get an external decent mic (& camera if there is going to be plenty of stuff on boards) so you can record the lectures if you want to, if they aren't already recorded by your Uni for download.

It really depends on the program you are in.

If you are doing only note typing, then a laptop is fine, especially if you don't mind having pen+paper for some classes like math

If you have classes that has a lot of PDF to import, and you want to write notes, and you don't want to go through the hassle of printing and keeping everything organized physically (that said you still need to originate stuff digitally, and probably play around with different software, to find one that fits your needs best), or have a lot of graph to draw, diagram, equations and such... basically where need a pen.  Then a Surface line product is a good choice. That said, also look at alternatives from OEMs as well.

used Chromebook in good shape

I take notes with pencil on paper. It's cheap, and has no software limitation on how I draw things. At the same time, keep the presentation slide or something with my phone. However a laptop can be useful when you need to do something in school your phone can't do, but can't be bothered to go to the library. For example, typing out your homework, managing PDFs you've just scanned elsewhere etc.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I'd say laptop. You're going to probably be doing a lot of data entry with it and certain fields of study may require you to have a computer that can do some extremely mobile-unfriendly tasks such as virtualization, CAD, software for writing code, graphic design applications, etc. And no matter what field you're in, you're going to need to do some office tasks (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) which are easier on a computer. You definitely want to be able to do all your schoolwork on your laptop so you don't have to run home when you have a 1 hour gap between classes where you can get stuff done. I walked around with a very big and heavy Dell M6500 when I was in college so I'm sure carrying around a more thin-and-light or even average-sized laptop wouldn't be too much of a burden.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

A laptop would be more useful. Leave the desktop at home.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

The 2018 iPad with Apple Pencil and keyboard case for basic tasks like writing, taking notes, content consumption etc. 

Laptop if you need power tasks like rendering or heavy multitasking. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

As said before it really depends on your course of study, but I have never seen a student bring a tablet more than once.

Usually you are frantically trying to take notes and a tablet usually doesnt work out well for that even if they try to market them that way

I can honestly say my desktop hasn't been used at all for school. Honestly it just doesnt get used for much anymore. 

As for device reccomendations please check with your instructors and/or counselors and see if the school has a reccomendation for you. See if your program has a preference for windows or mac and if there are any special requirements (instructors are more helpful here). This is also a good resource to see if you qualify for any special education discounts.

Beyond that keyboard and monitor are paramount. Something you can type quickly and accurately on and a monitor that doesnt make your eyes hurt after 15 minutes.

17 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The 2018 iPad with Apple Pencil and keyboard case for basic tasks like writing, taking notes, content consumption etc. 

My friend got an iPad (no idea which model) with the pencil. I found that it's very convenient in taking notes during lectures. Useful for students

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

29 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

My friend got an iPad (no idea which model) with the pencil. I found that it's very convenient in taking notes during lectures. Useful for students

Das the point :3 All the way up to High School the basic iPad does everything a student needs and can actually multitask now. 

Once you hit college, for general ed at least, the iPad is still serviceable, but I like have a dGPU when I’m on the go and is why I kinda regret my MBP purchase. Shoulda got the 15” T.T 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

23 hours ago, UnluckyGuy said:

What is your guys opinions on either getting my self a laptop or tablet for college? I am asking since I already have rig at home if I have something that requires more power. 

For a tablet, I was thinking on something like the Mi 4 plus or surface go. On laptop is more or less still undecided

Like many people said the answer depends on your school. Will you get lots of scanned stuff and PDFs and do you like to write down notes on paper or type them?? Some courses like chemistry have lots of drawing which gets annoying on laptops so a tablet or convertible would be ideal.

You should get an iPad with Pencil and keyboard cover or Surface Go in this case but if you need more power for programming and CAD in your classes or you don't take that many notes a laptop would be good but at that budget most laptops even used won't have the best battery life so think about it.

Personally I think you should consider the iPad for now if you are in high school but if you are going to college now, you might need to upgrade down the line.

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

the basic iPad

^^this. No need to spend tons of money like Macbook

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold