Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does a PSU support ErP Ready or ErP-lot6 if it has CE marking?

crocket

Go to solution Solved by crocket,
14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Look for other options like   stand by options > wake on keyboard / mouse events ( this may make mb keep usb ports powered so pc starts when you press on a key)

or... some gigabyte boards have usb charge ports feature (where some usb ports on back are kept always on) https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/185/on-off-charge.htm

look around in bios

that psu is most likely CRAP

In UEFI settings of ASUS M5A97 R2.0, I disabled USB 3.0 Battery Charging support, and I was able to enable ErP ready. After enabling ErP ready, my USB devices do not get power while the computer is off.

It seems I won't have to buy a new PSU for a while.

So, I should look for TuV and CO when I buy a new PSU?

Does it? I need a PSU that supports ErP ready functionality of my mainboard's UEFI so that my USB devices don't get power while the computer is off.

Or, do I need a PSU that has ErP-lot6 marking as well as CE marking if I want ErP ready functionality of my motherboard's UEFI?

If a PSU claims to support ErP-lot6 but doesn't have Erp-lot6 certification, can I believe the PSU's claim?

CE marking means nothing ... it's supposed to mean the product follows some European Community regulations (so CE = Conformité Européenne, european conformity) something like that but there's also another marking with CE which means "China Export" which means nothing. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

Both are equally useless as they're not enforced and they're basically based on trust ... the manufacturer declares that product respects some regulations and conforms to some specs but doesn't have to submit the product to independent testing or validations

There's no way for your motherboard's bios to determine if a power supply has some kind of feature. The power supplies are dumb devices, they can only tell the motherboard if they're ready to start or not and they're either on or off

That ErP stuff is not about usb being on or off, it's about the bios being able to disable some things and put the processor in a very deep "sleep mode"  so that the system will consume less than 1w while it's turned off or in sleep mode.

Some older power supplies had difficulties maintaining stable voltages when motherboard asks for so little power.  If that's the case, you can simply disable this feature on them motherboard and just let the computer uses slightly more idle power... instead of less than 1w, it will use 2-3w at most. 

Regardless of this ErP feature, you should be able to disable usb power to devices while computer is off.

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Regardless of this ErP feature, you should be able to disable usb power to devices while computer is off.

That's an idea. But, actuality is different. My USB devices' LEDs are powered on while the computer is off.

My PSU is Skydigital PS2-500CR 82% ActivePFC v2.31

Look for other options like   stand by options > wake on keyboard / mouse events ( this may make mb keep usb ports powered so pc starts when you press on a key)

or... some gigabyte boards have usb charge ports feature (where some usb ports on back are kept always on) https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/185/on-off-charge.htm

look around in bios

1 hour ago, crocket said:

Does it? I need a PSU that supports ErP ready functionality of my mainboard's UEFI so that my USB devices don't get power while the computer is off.

Or, do I need a PSU that has ErP-lot6 marking as well as CE marking if I want ErP ready functionality of my motherboard's UEFI?

No, that looks like a low quality, peak rated overlabeled piece of jung that shouldn't be called ATX or ever be bought.

The CE Marking is not relevant as there are always cases of things that violate that and nobody seem to care or feel responsible to get rid of those illegal, law violating PSU. For example PFC is required by law for PSU over 75W. And there are still PSU with no (=fake) PFC popping up from time to time...

And nobody takes care of those...

What you need are Safety testing things on the PSU for example TüV and co. But also it makes sense to have an independantly tested unit...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

look around in bios

In UEFI settings of ASUS M5A97 R2.0, I disabled USB 3.0 Battery Charging support, and I was able to enable ErP ready. After enabling ErP ready, my USB devices do not get power while the computer is off.

It seems I won't have to buy a new PSU for a while.

So, I should look for TuV and CO when I buy a new PSU?

No. Buy a psu from a well known brand and with gold efficiency. That at least guarantees some minimum level of quality and efficiency.

I will buy a psu from a well known brand with gold efficiency when I build a new PC or when my PSU breaks.

For now, I'm content with my current PSU which I have never had an actual problem with for 3 years.

7 hours ago, crocket said:

For now, I'm content with my current PSU which I have never had an actual problem with for 3 years.

Lucky you.