Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alternative to Dell AW3418DW Alienware?

btng

I am in the hunt for a new monitor. So far I like the AW3418DW. However, I have heard that there is a problem with flickering when overclocked to 120hz. I am therefor a bit hesitant to get that one since it seems to be a very common problem. So:

1. How big is the problem with flickering? Is there anyone in here that owns that monitor that does not experience flickering @120hz?

2. Is there another similar monitor that is about to be released now in 2018 that at least matches this monitor in terms of G-sync, resolution, size, hz?

Also, in terms of alternative monitors, I would like an as clean monitor as possible. I don't like them to look like spaceships with tons of LED.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, btng said:

1. How big is the problem with flickering? Is there anyone in here that owns that monitor that does not experience flickering @120hz?

Here is the thing. The way I understand how it works is the base frequency is 100Hz and 120Hz is OC and thus technically not guaranteed to work flawlessly. Which means there are bound to be some panels that can't reach that without flickering. That being said, AFAIK Dell accepts flickering at 120Hz as ground for return and replacement if it's caused by the panel itself (there are several threads about it here and there, sometimes flickering isn't caused by the panel quality but some kind of software bug). 

My Alienware works perfectly fine in 120Hz and I am very happy with it. The only alternative with the same specs is the Acer Predator x34 monitor (the refresh version) and that's because AFAIK it uses the same panel.

EDIT: Also, the thing about internet and troubleshooting is that hardly anyone writes that everything is fine. Usually people go and create threads only when they have problems which might give an impression that 90% of monitors are defective.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

9 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Here is the thing. The way I understand how it works is the base frequency is 100Hz and 120Hz is OC and thus technically not guaranteed to work flawlessly. Which means there are bound to be some panels that can't reach that without flickering. That being said, AFAIK Dell accepts flickering at 120Hz as ground for return and replacement if it's caused by the panel itself (there are several threads about it here and there, sometimes flickering isn't caused by the panel quality but some kind of software bug). 

My Alienware works perfectly fine in 120Hz and I am very happy with it. The only alternative with the same specs is the Acer Predator x34 monitor (the refresh version) and that's because AFAIK it uses the same panel.

EDIT: Also, the thing about internet and troubleshooting is that hardly anyone writes that everything is fine. Usually people go and create threads only when they have problems which might give an impression that 90% of monitors are defective.

Sweet! So you are happy with it? Any other cons of that monitor?

4 minutes ago, btng said:

Sweet! So you are happy with it? Any other cons of that monitor?

Minor things:

1. Initial setup required minor calibrating to look really good

2. It's an IPS panel so the black depth contrast ratio are good but not the best, if you prefer that over IPS qualities then I think Acer has an ultrawide VA panel as an alternative. 

3. One DisplayPort 1.2 and one HDMI 1.4 port might be a problem if you need more, you get only a DP cable in the box. This was actually an issue for me since with my setup the cable was too short and I had to go and buy a longer one. But not everyone has their PC as far from the monitor as I do (actually most people don't).

4. If you are really anal about it you can say that the lack of integrated speakers is technically a con :D

Also, I have it mounted on the wall from day 1 so I can't really speak about the quality and ergonomics of the monitor stand.

The truth is that this Dell and Acer Predator are the best gaming ultrawides currently on the market and if you need more then you need to wait for those Quantum Dot 200Hz HDR versions that may or may not come in the upcoming months provided you are fine with an expected $2000 price tag.

I recommend reading TFT Central's review as they provide by far the most detailed experiences and information about monitors:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_alienware_aw3418dw.htm#intro

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones