Upgrading to a more powerful unit from the same line of power supplies, EVGA 550W G3 to 1000W G3

stellarshy
Go to solution Solved by CableMod,

@stellarshy the G3 models do share the same pinouts and connectors, as do several other of the EVGA listings.

We have a big list of compatibility which you can find on our compatibility page here for reference:

https://store.cablemod.com/compatibility/

Quick question – I have been considering upgrading from the 550 W EVGA G3 power supply to the 1000 watt model, Still from the G3 series. I was wondering, can I just swap out the power supply unit and use the same modular cables that the 550W one came with, plugging them into the back of the new 1000 watt model, so that I don't have to redo the power cabling for my build? Thanks.

Here is what the back of each unit looks like:

71Z+5ILTnkL._SL1200_.jpg

71uqrnuvNIL._SL1200_.jpg

5 minutes ago, stellarshy said:

Quick question – I have been considering upgrading from the 550 W EVGA G3 power supply to the 1000 watt model, Still from the G3 series.

Why? Are you planning on a hardware change that requires additional wattage? If your system won't draw up to 1000W, there's no benefit from having a 1000W unit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Why? Are you planning on a hardware change that requires additional wattage? If your system won't draw 1000W, there's no benefit from having a 1000W unit.

Let's assume for the sake of the question that I need it. :) I have the opportunity to get one for pretty cheap, and I'm considering an SLI configuration just for fun.  Same question whether I go for the 1000 watt unit or the 750 W unit, I just might be able to get the 1000 W one for the same price as the lower ones.

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

Yes, but as long as the pins are the same.

Can you elaborate? It seems like the cables have the same number of pins for the corresponding connection spots on the back of the power supply, or at least it seems so From the pictures, is that what you mean?Thank you.

I would say if it's the same model line of the same model year there's very low chance of them changing pinouts unless they had a design flaw.  Likely you can match the cables (Sata to Sata, PCI-E to PCI-E) between the models just fine.  To be sure, I would ask EVGA.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

I would say if it's the same model line of the same model year there's very low chance of them changing pinouts unless they had a design flaw.  Likely you can match the cables (Sata to Sata, PCI-E to PCI-E) between the models just fine.  To be sure, I would ask EVGA.

Thanks, I think I will just to make sure.

1 minute ago, stellarshy said:

Thanks, I think I will just to make sure.

There might already be an answer for this in their forums too if you wanted to search that.

The EVGA G3 850W and higher uses way more aggressive fan curve and is significantly louder than 750W and lower models (just so you know). 

Anyway, you should be able to use the same cables since it's the same model of PSU but just to be 100% sure, better ask EVGA tech support or on EVGA forums. 

21 minutes ago, stellarshy said:

Let's assume for the sake of the question that I need it. :) I have the opportunity to get one for pretty cheap, and I'm considering an SLI configuration just for fun.  Same question whether I go for the 1000 watt unit or the 750 W unit, I just might be able to get the 1000 W one for the same price as the lower ones.

It should work fine. The cables should be fine, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be the same... Unless the 1000W comes with inline capacitors that the 550W doesn't... But even then it shouldn't matter too much. @jonnyGURU or @CableMod would probably know if the cables are compatible between the G3 550W and G3 1000W.
Edit: If you end up contacting EVGA and asking, let us know what their answer is.

Are you buying it new or used? If used, you likely won't get the warranty carried over... I'd rather a 750W unit with 10 years warranty than a 2nd hand, probably ex mining 1000W without warranty.

What CPU and GPU(s) are you planning on using?

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The EVGA G3 850W and higher uses way more aggressive fan curve and is significantly louder than 750W and lower models (just so you know). 

Good thought. The G3 1000W would be louder at 40% load than what the G3 550W will be at full load. The G3s aren't normally considered to be quiet units either.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, stellarshy said:

Can you elaborate? It seems like the cables have the same number of pins for the corresponding connection spots on the back of the power supply, or at least it seems so From the pictures, is that what you mean?Thank you.

There is absolutely no problem to pick the cables from the unit as it's the same manufacturer and model line up. There should be not a problem if you take from other manufacturer too, but that's a chance you don't want to take with component that you should value.

A 1000W power supply (80% efficient) will pull about 10 amps at full load. That's well within the specs of the cables.
Some companies do sell heavier duty cables, with larger wires in them, but there's no need in this case. 

2 hours ago, CableMod said:

@stellarshy the G3 models do share the same pinouts and connectors, as do several other of the EVGA listings.

We have a big list of compatibility which you can find on our compatibility page here for reference:

https://store.cablemod.com/compatibility/

Thank you @CableMod and everyone else who responded with thoughts and info!

@WereCat and @Spotty, thank you for info on suitability and fan differences between 750w vs 1000w, I will keep that in mind.