Is it safe to use a sata to 6 pin connector for graphics card?

Hey guyz

I wanted to ask that my freind was giving me an r9 270x for really cheap .. the only problem is that it requires two 6 pin connector and my powersupply support only 1.. although it is a 525 watt dell powersupply.. now i m wondering that using a sata power to 6 pin connector can save the day?.. is it safe for a long period? About 8-9 months?

You should get a better power supply that won't burn your house down.

If a PSU doesn't have the necessary cables that's an indication you need a better PSU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Short answer: yes, it will work.

Longer answer:  while it's possible, you really shouldn't do it. 

SATA connectors aren't really designed for the power video cards consume.  There's 3 contacts inside each SATA connector that carry 12v, and they're rated for 1.5A per contact, so in total you have a maximum permitted of 4.5A ... which means a 3 x 1.5A x 12A = 54w

The 6pin pci-e connector is supposed to transfer up to 75w to the video card, so if you use a simple adapter that has a single SATA connector at one end, it's not going to end well.

Even with 2 SATA connectors, you'd still transfer nearly 40w through each connector, and while in theory each SATA connector is rated for 54w (so it should be safe), in practice a lot of SATA connectors these days are manufactured using cheaper methods which can cause the SATA connectors to fail in horrible ways when there's significant amount of power going through them (let's say more than 20w).

For example, SATA connectors that use injection molding to seal the covers over the metal contacts can get hot when a lot of power goes through them, which can cause the metal contacts inside to move around and cause short circuits which can cause the connectors to burn. Here's what could happen:

Your power supply should still have the old molex (that were used with IDE hard drives) connectors. You should buy a 2 molex to pci-e 6 or pci-e 6+2 adapter and use that.  the molex connectors can handle higher currents, around 5A each, and the metal cntacts are much much better and there's much less risk of melting or burning.

And, such adapters are cheap, here's a cheap and good model from Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJF5497357

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

SATA connectors aren't really designed for the power video cards consume.  There's 3 contacts inside each SATA connector that carry 12v, and they're rated for 1.5A per contact, so in total you have a maximum permitted of 4.5A ... which means a 3 x 1.5A x 12A = 54w

The 6pin pci-e connector is supposed to transfer up to 75w to the video card, so if you use a simple adapter that has a single SATA connector at one end, it's not going to end well.

Even with 2 SATA connectors, you'd still transfer nearly 40w through each connector, and while in theory each SATA connector is rated for 54w (so it should be safe), in practice a lot of SATA connectors these days are manufactured using cheaper methods which can cause the SATA connectors to fail in horrible ways when there's significant amount of power going through them (let's say more than 20w).

For example, SATA connectors that use injection molding to seal the covers over the metal contacts can get hot when a lot of power goes through them, which can cause the metal contacts inside to move around and cause short circuits which can cause the connectors to burn. Here's what could happen:

Your power supply should still have the old molex (that were used with IDE hard drives) connectors. You should buy a 2 molex to pci-e 6 or pci-e 6+2 adapter and use that.  the molex connectors can handle higher currents, around 5A each, and the metal cntacts are much much better and there's much less risk of melting or burning.

And, such adapters are cheap, here's a cheap and good model from Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJF5497357

Thank you soo much but i have one idea more .. first of all i have to tell you my specs.. i have a dell precision t3500 .. with xeon x5670 and it has it's own powersupply and motherboard.. and i also have a dell precision t3400 525 watt powersupply which has two 6 pin connectors.. but the only problem is that it has 4 pin eps board connector and my board require 8 .. i wonder if that matters because i saw videos which says it doesn't matter we can connect 4 pin to 8 pin.. should i do that? Does it work because they are from different pc.. so plz guide me

your cpu is a 95w chip (with boost could probably use more like 120w) and therefore should be fine with a 4 pin (144w) however i wouldn't recommend going anywhere near overclocking (i do not know if it is unlocked). in my opinion, wait until black Friday then buy a cheap 600w power supply from a reputable seller (corsair, cooler-master, thermaltake, evga) then you will have no issues at all and you will get extra connectors for everything and will come with the 8 pin eps connector (288w) your motherboard needs.

Have a nice day:)

PC:    CPU: Core i7 4790k   I   GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor   I   COOLING: Custom water loop (cpu and gpu)  I  RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz   I   SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500Gb   I   HDD: WD blue 1TB, Hitatchi 2TB, Generic 1TB   I   PSU: EVGA 500w

The EPS connector is rated for 9A per pin. Cables physically can do more.

ATX specification limits the maximum current in 4 pin cpu connector to 8A so the max is 2 pairs x 8A x 12v = 192w

If 8 pin connector is used, the standard derates power to 7A per pin, so you have 4 pairs x 7A x 12v = 336w

Like guy above says, your cpu is a bit power hungry but shouldn't go over 120w or so and this means using a 4pin cpu cable should be fine.

You should test with the board - some will refuse to start unless 8 pin connector is used.

Would the same be true of a Molex to 6 pin adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073MBHC8G

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

atx standard says molex contacts must carry up to 5A

you have one pair of 12v in connector

you have 2 connectors

=> adapter can do 2 x 5A x 12v =120w safely, shouldn't be used for more.

Safe for pci-e 6pin (75w), safe-ish for 8 pin (150w) as long the molex connectors are on SEPARATE chains of connectors coming from the psu - you want two pairs of 12v wires all the way to psu.

If on same chain, your limit is the max a single 12v pair can carry (~9A / 100w, the limit of modular connector contacts on psu)

120w is below 150w but most gpu won't actually get close to maximum, they'd rather use 2 connectors instead.

For example, this 270x op has will pull up to 125w without oc. Probably 60w will be taken from pci-e slot, so you're left with 65w from extra power connectors.

That's too close to 75w (limit for one 6pin connector) and if they went with just one pci-e 6pin, they'd be forced to limit overclocking, so it was simpler to add a connector to allow for higher oc and maybe also take less power fom mb slot.

So you may have 50w from slot + 40w (pcie 6pin 1) + 40w (pcie 6pin 2) = 130w  and you have 25w/connector left as headroom for OC.

So in default state you may only be dealing with 40-50w per pci-e 6pin which is manageable and safer with molex->pcie

7 hours ago, Ic3d said:

your cpu is a 95w chip (with boost could probably use more like 120w) and therefore should be fine with a 4 pin (144w) however i wouldn't recommend going anywhere near overclocking (i do not know if it is unlocked). in my opinion, wait until black Friday then buy a cheap 600w power supply from a reputable seller (corsair, cooler-master, thermaltake, evga) then you will have no issues at all and you will get extra connectors for everything and will come with the 8 pin eps connector (288w) your motherboard needs.

My board cannot do overclocking.. i wanted to say that ri8 now i have ha w3565 but.. after 2 - 3 days i will change it to x5670.. i know w3565 is more power hungry then a x5670 but will the w3565 work with 4 pin eps connector?or i should wait for my cpu to change?

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

The EPS connector is rated for 9A per pin. Cables physically can do more.

ATX specification limits the maximum current in 4 pin cpu connector to 8A so the max is 2 pairs x 8A x 12v = 192w

If 8 pin connector is used, the standard derates power to 7A per pin, so you have 4 pairs x 7A x 12v = 336w

Like guy above says, your cpu is a bit power hungry but shouldn't go over 120w or so and this means using a 4pin cpu cable should be fine.

You should test with the board - some will refuse to start unless 8 pin connector is used.

So there is no chance that my motherboard will fry?

41 minutes ago, mariushm said:

atx standard says molex contacts must carry up to 5A

you have one pair of 12v in connector

you have 2 connectors

=> adapter can do 2 x 5A x 12v =120w safely, shouldn't be used for more.

Safe for pci-e 6pin (75w), safe-ish for 8 pin (150w) as long the molex connectors are on SEPARATE chains of connectors coming from the psu - you want two pairs of 12v wires all the way to psu.

If on same chain, your limit is the max a single 12v pair can carry (~9A / 100w, the limit of modular connector contacts on psu)

120w is below 150w but most gpu won't actually get close to maximum, they'd rather use 2 connectors instead.

For example, this 270x op has will pull up to 125w without oc. Probably 60w will be taken from pci-e slot, so you're left with 65w from extra power connectors.

That's too close to 75w (limit for one 6pin connector) and if they went with just one pci-e 6pin, they'd be forced to limit overclocking, so it was simpler to add a connector to allow for higher oc and maybe also take less power fom mb slot.

So you may have 50w from slot + 40w (pcie 6pin 1) + 40w (pcie 6pin 2) = 130w  and you have 25w/connector left as headroom for OC.

So in default state you may only be dealing with 40-50w per pci-e 6pin which is manageable and safer with molex->pcie

Thanks alot for giving me this kind info

• 2 years later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:26 AM, mariushm said:

I apologize for bringing this old thread to life but do you think it's safe to power an HD7790 from a single SATA to 6-pin connector?

The card is rated for around ~90W and I've no idea how much power it draws from the PCIe slot, although it should be around at least 25W so basically looking at around ~50-60W of power from the adapter. 

Since it's a GCN card, I should be able to undervolt it from the settings, in case it's absolutely necessary + I tend to play games with either a 30 or 60FPS vsync lock which tends to put less strain on the hardware. 

Do you think I should go with it?

8 minutes ago, Man said:

I apologize for bringing this old thread to life but do you think it's safe to power an HD7790 from a single SATA to 6-pin connector?

The card is rated for around ~90W and I've no idea how much power it draws from the PCIe slot, although it should be around at least 25W so basically looking at around ~50-60W of power from the adapter. 

Since it's a GCN card, I should be able to undervolt it from the settings, in case it's absolutely necessary + I tend to play games with either a 30 or 60FPS vsync lock which tends to put less strain on the hardware. 

Do you think I should go with it?

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=273

In all honesty it is pretty safe, it's not that power hungry but moving forwards, get a more capable PSU with proper PCI-E cables.

-= Topic locked =-

@Man

1. Topic necro'd [revived, against the Community Standards.

2. You are hijacking this topic with your own question; there is a reason we have rules and there is a reason the banner was in place. Please heed the warnings instead of ignoring them. 😐 

image.png.bcf550ac3c37680b305c206a63088e65.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER