Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU bios?

Jakers038

I'm relatively new to building PC's, but I know that the Bios belongs to the Motherboard, at least I think it does, since I only have a integrated gpu at the moment and the bios is the same as when I had my older card which I sold. However, RX 470/80 and I guess 570/580 cards have their own bios-es, so...how does that even work, is it essentially a separate bios you go into with a different button (opposed to pressing Del) that only deals with GPU settings or what?

I may buy a RX 470 soon and I'm wondering how overclocking works on it, I know that you just use Afterburner in most cases, but since the RX cards have their own bioses, maybe it's somewhat different with them...

The motherboard has its own BIOS (well, UEFI these days) that you can go into and change settings in (like boot order or overclocks for the CPU and memory). Changing these settings is very simple and even flashing a new BIOS is normal (but recommended only if you are having issues - if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

The GPU has a BIOS that contains the core and memory clock, voltage limits, a default fan curve and things like that. You can adjust these in software like Msi Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx. If that is not enough for you and you are an experienced overclocker, you can use a program to load your original BIOS, back it up, edit it and then flash it onto the GPU. It can be quite risky and there are very few reasons to do it.

Overclockers do it to unlock power limits, apply higher voltage than software solutions allow them to etc.

I've flashed both kinds of BIOS. Flashing a motherboard BIOS is very simple, but if you lose power during it, you could brick your board. (This is only an issue if you have a flaky power grid where you live.)

The reason I flashed my GPU BIOS was that I wanted to overclock my GPU further. I found a modded BIOS specifically for my GPU that allowed me to use more voltage. I had an aftermarket cooler and my GPU had great power delivery, so I risked it. It wasn't stable, so I edited it and flashed the edited one, which runs fine to this day.

tl;dr: The motherboard and the GPU each have their own BIOS. These are not connected and don't affect eachother in any way. Flashing a motherboard BIOS isn't unusual but you can change settings inside it without doing so. Flashing a GPU BIOS is fairly rare, something most people don't do, and it's the only way of adjusting settings inside it. However these settings can be adjusted by software within Windows, which also has safer limits and doesn't allow you to fully screw up your card.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Drevo Gramr modded to ortholinear with Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7

Guess I should then move around that whole topic in a long radius, since I once managed to break my computer by simply moving a HDD one slot above it's usual place, it just didn't want to start, not sure how, why or what, but I moved it to it's original position and it magically worked. Could be my somewhat weak PSU or a cable of it that didn't work in that specific pose?

Anyway, if I stay with just Afterburner, how much FPS gain in percent can I hope for with a 470 8gb? 5, 10, more/less? Could it come at least half way of the difference between a 470 and 480?

8 hours ago, Jakers038 said:

Guess I should then move around that whole topic in a long radius, since I once managed to break my computer by simply moving a HDD one slot above it's usual place, it just didn't want to start, not sure how, why or what, but I moved it to it's original position and it magically worked. Could be my somewhat weak PSU or a cable of it that didn't work in that specific pose?

Anyway, if I stay with just Afterburner, how much FPS gain in percent can I hope for with a 470 8gb? 5, 10, more/less? Could it come at least half way of the difference between a 470 and 480?

A RX 470/480 will be MUCH better than integrated graphics... just make sure your power supply can handle it.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

I know, I previously had a entry level Radeon 7730 2gb ddr3, it could barely run anything above 720p low settings, even in that scenario it was around 20 to 30 fps in most games, then I sold it to have a few dollars more to buy a new card and at the moment I'm using a integrated 2500 hd, which is incapable of opening most stuff, let alone playing it, but I was actually asking about the difference between a OC'd 470, which I will hopefully get, and a stock 480, could a afterburner only OC'd 470 approach the 480? Especially if the 470 is a 8 gig variant? ( that is if there's any difference between the 4 and 8 gig 470 one, though it seems that the 8 gig one gets 2-5% more fps on average in most games, even if the games aren't vram hungry)