WI -FI Extender Speeds Question

iceblade2097

My Boss has a dead zone in their house so I was looking at WIFI extender to fix the dead zone in a room.  However, I am unable to find an extender of the same speed as her current router.  Right now she has a ARRIS SBG6700-AC which supports the 1600 AC standard.  What would happen if she hooked up an AC 1200 extender to her network? Would she only experience the slower WIFI standard when connected to the extender or would it bring the whole WIFI network down to the slower speed?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

to give you one lesson, that big number after are combined speeds from all bands. it won't affect that much. it won't bring the speed down in the whole home, and maybe a little bit in that dead zone

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

to give you one lesson, that big number after are combined speeds from all bands. it won't affect that much. it won't bring the speed down in the whole home, and maybe a little bit in that dead zone

Just to make sure I understand. As long as I find an extender that supports the AC standard I should be good?

Also for my own knowledge what would happen if you hooked an N base extender to it?

4 hours ago, iceblade2097 said:

Just to make sure I understand. As long as I find an extender that supports the AC standard I should be good?

Also for my own knowledge what would happen if you hooked an N base extender to it?

assuming we're talking about n 2,4 you'll send out a extention on a different signal then ac. but most routers that have 5 ghz support also have a 2,4 ghz band. the speed will be limited to about 50 megabits/second. but the range will be better