Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Setting Up an Internal Network, While Extending Existing Home Network to Provide It Internet Access

Hello, recently I had moved to a different room at my parents house, which unlike my previous room, which had very good Wi-Fi connectivity (no ethernet in the walls, this is a relatively old house) due to being directly underneath the room containing the router (now a router acting as just a modem, plus a better router for routing), this room is on the opposite side of the house, and partially due to the thick walls, I have next to no connectivity even on 2.5Ghz with the range extender (I am planning on setting up a mesh network in the future, however there are more important things in relation to the network that need to be done first).

Now, a difference in what my parents permit me to do in regards to the room itself, is that in this room I am allowed to modify the room itself (as in, changes that require drilling the walls to an extent, for example), unlike the previous one, so I can finally build myself a laboratory in my room (I repair things for people at home, in addition to at work (these are usually things I take upon myself to do, that are not worth the money, however they are good for practice, and this lab is mainly for research in any case (though as time goes, it will expand to other things as well), so that is all good.

When all said is done, I intend to build a internal network for my lab, which shall be connected to the home network via PowerLine adapters, should the electrical wiring in the house support it.

My plans start with:

1. Drilling the walls and wiring the power to give me a proper number of electrical outlets (I currently have 3, one of which is definitely connected to the emergency power, one which is not, and one that I have not yet had the time to check), and in the proper locations (currently, one is blocking my work table, which I am still working out, though the problem is mainly it's height, plus that outlet is not connected to the emergency (what is it called in english? round? network? switch?) power), since the ones I have are in the worst possible locations for a lab.

2. In addition to the above, I intend to insert CAT6 ethernet in the walls, for futureproofing (plus I intend to have at least a gigabit internal network), with the required amount of Ethernet ports (should be 6-8, though I intend to run an experiment with the electric technician (who is a friend of ours) in regards to the wiring in the wall, to make the whole stretch modular, to allow me to swap, repair, add, and/or remove whatever is in the wall, while causing less damage to the wall than by what is traditionally done).

3. Getting the PowerLine adapters, a gigabit network switch (preferably with PoE, however I do not have the budget for a PoE 8-port gigabit switch), and a new router (to have a wireless network for devices without Ethernet).

4. Separating my room and bathroom from the rest of the floor, into it's own (round? network?) part of the electric system, and connecting the future "desk" outlets (as in, for whatever is on the desk) to the emergency power.

The current hardware that we have:

TP-Link TD-W9970, running stock, acting as a modem;

Xiaomi Mi 3, running Padavan (I will flash OpenWRT on it after replacing it with the 3G), as the home router (will be the router of my internal network);

TP-Link RE200, running stock, as the range extender;

NETGEAR DM-200, running OpenWRT (needs to be serial flashed, will replace the TD-W9970);

TP-Link WA850RE, running OpenWRT (needs to be serial flashed, will replace the RE200 after I figure out how to get OpenWRT working in range extender mode);

The hardware that I am looking at/ that we have already ordered:

Xiaomi Mi 3G (already ordered), will run OpenWRT;

D-Link DGS-1008A or DGS-1008C

I am still researching PowerLine

Currently my questions are:

1. A managed network switch costs x3 the price of an unmanaged switch in my country, so I wonder whether I can manage the switch via the home router (I intend to connect the internal network's router under the switch, unless I do not have a choice, since the Xiaomi Mi routers have only 2 LAN ports.

2. What do I have to look out for with PowerLine, should it function with the current electric system in the house?

3. Are there any cheaper gigabit switches, that I can replace their firmwares, even if I have to order them from abroad?

My budget isn't absolute, however it is limited enough that I cannot get anything more expensive that what I already am doing, unless it is by a dollar or two.

Update: I had forgotten to post our Internet speed, to make things sound a bit more realistic.

We pay for 40Mbt/s, however our ISP can only provide up to ~36Mbt/s in our location.

Edited by moriel5
Added internet speed information.

I think that for what you want to do, you might want to look into things like pfsense for routing and getting a used managed switch then looking into vlans. 

I think pfsense will work out for you because its full of features that will help with your lab network set up while also being cost effective. It can be run on an old pc or raspberry pi but will out perform most consumer routers.

As for the switch, a managed one will make things easier in a way or at least better. A good one can be had from ebay for pretty cheap, Netgear and TP-link have been pretty user friendly in my experience.

This stuff will get you a pile of enterprise features for not a ton of money. 

Thanks, however I am not yet at the point I could manage a pfSense network (though I am itching to try it out), and my room is not large enough to contain an enterprise switch or router (the lab will be confined to the table, which takes up about 3/4 of two of the walls already), so I cannot afford to have more than a consumer router and switch (up to 12 ports, probably)), however I'll take a look nevertheless.

As for managed/unmanaged switches, I realize that it would be a lot easier to go with a managed one (plus it would give better performance, however I was asking whether I can do the same from the router (as I had already said, my budget is rather tight, and some things will have to be upgraded nevertheless).

In any case, this does not answer my question regarding PowerLine, which is one of the most critical points for my day to day use.

But thank you in any case, at least I have more options now.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:22 PM, moriel5 said:

A managed network switch costs x3 the price of an unmanaged switch in my country, so I wonder whether I can manage the switch via the home router (I intend to connect the internal network's router under the switch, unless I do not have a choice, since the Xiaomi Mi routers have only 2 LAN ports.

Get the TL-SG108E. By far the best budget managed switch

A long time LTT viewer that signed up “7 minutes ago”.

8 hours ago, kevdagoat said:

Get the TL-SG108E. By far the best budget managed switch

Thanks, I had just checked it out, however due to it having issues with VLAN1, I don't think it will cut it, especially with a managed Gigabit D-Link switch costing about the same in my country.

That, and the fact that it has a Realtek chipset, which is a nonissue with ethernet in my opinion, but only for consumers (Realtek's WiFi drivers are their only horrible drivers, however the lack of hardware-based management remains here, which does have a negative impact on performance).

If possible, I'd rather have something with either an Intel/Lantiq (Intel had bought Lantiq, and Lantiq SoCs are generally on the same level as Intel SoCs), or a Qualcomm SoC, if possible (plus, this will also mean that future support by something such as OpenWRT will be easier to bring into existence).