Electric Pianos/Keyboard Recommendations????

Tarun10

I don't know where to start looking. I have been playing keyboard for nearly 10 years and I have been using a Yamaha PSR 1425 for the past 8 years. I don't play western piano though I learned till Grade 2. I learn South Indian Music which is comparable to Western Classical with just different technical names and styles and more lyrics. I also like to play theme songs which are usually classical and lead parts of classic rock, pop, etc.

My current keyboard is not bad but I think a few things are broken(C Major key doesn't work sometimes, bad audio, some buttons not working). Though I don't need more features or intend to professionally record songs or do any studio work with it, I do perform frequently for my school and in other events. My main problem is the sound. Most places give me a connection to their audio system but when I play at home the built in speakers and sound card(do they have one??) are horrible. The piano doesn't sound like a piano until I add some strings and guitar to it which is weird.

I don't need many voices or features. Just the basic tones and styles and tempo and settings like transpos, volume, etc. . I don't mind if the keys are piano style or not provided they aren't too heavy too play. I want good sound and the built in tones/voices should sound real. Smaller size would be better and any other features would be welcome but good interface is a must.

I have already asked this on music forums but also want to know if there are any recommendations from people here.

The Yamaha PSR range is up to spec. 

I currently use the PSR-S550, but I want to upgrade to a Tyros.

The S550 is good for the price along with the features you get with it (I know you need the basics) but it's always good to have those if need be.

They go for about 500.

15 hours ago, Netivity said:

The Yamaha PSR range is up to spec. 

I currently use the PSR-S550, but I want to upgrade to a Tyros.

The S550 is good for the price along with the features you get with it (I know you need the basics) but it's always good to have those if need be.

They go for about 500.

I have even listened to S950 which are nearly 1000$+ but they don't sound that great. Tyros??? Is that the brand??? Maybe I should get an external amp and speaker?? Know anything about Roland Keyboards' sound?? 

5 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

I have even listened to S950 which are nearly 1000$+ but they don't sound that great. Tyros??? Is that the brand??? Maybe I should get an external amp and speaker?? Know anything about Roland Keyboards' sound?? 

Tyros is pretty much the professional range of Yamaha keyboards.

I don't know anything about keyboards past the s550, so I couldn't comment on them, but great sound out of mine.

You can always plug in an external speaker, I don't understand why you would need an amp.

And Roland's aren't bad, played a few back when I was younger, but I've always stuck to Yamaha for the features.

15 hours ago, Netivity said:

Tyros is pretty much the professional range of Yamaha keyboards.

I don't know anything about keyboards past the s550, so I couldn't comment on them, but great sound out of mine.

You can always plug in an external speaker, I don't understand why you would need an amp.

And Roland's aren't bad, played a few back when I was younger, but I've always stuck to Yamaha for the features.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will use an external speaker a while and save up for a good Yamaha or Roland. I am going to start learning electric guitar and I will get an amp + speaker so I was wondering if I could use that for my keyboard.

Roland makes excellent pianos that are cheaper to purchase. My fiancee has one, and she went all the way up and got her Grade 10 piano. It also does synth/soundclip noises, fake instrument noises (eg: "guitar", "drum", etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i bought a roland juno ds a few years back and i love it

though i got the weighted keys version which is not what your looking for but they do a light key version

i know you dont want an extensive sound bank but the roland one is quite impressive

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, kilgore_T said:

i bought a roland juno ds a few years back and i love it

though i got the weighted keys version which is not what your looking for but they do a light key version

i know you dont want an extensive sound bank but the roland one is quite impressive

Hmm... I don't mind the extended sound bank just that I would rather have one with realistic sound than a bunch of useless tones. How does the piano tone sound???

1 hour ago, Tarun10 said:

Hmm... I don't mind the extended sound bank just that I would rather have one with realistic sound than a bunch of useless tones. How does the piano tone sound???

Roland pianos in "normal" mode sound like any other decent/mid-range/high-end electric piano.

It'll never be as good as a $100,000 Grand Piano, but it'll sound as good as a normal decent quality piano.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, dalekphalm said:

Roland pianos in "normal" mode sound like any other decent/mid-range/high-end electric piano.

It'll never be as good as a $100,000 Grand Piano, but it'll sound as good as a normal decent quality piano.

Ok then. Going to save up... I compared my Yamaha to a 2000$ acoustic and a Roland electric but the speakers are pretty bad on the Yamaha.

51 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Ok then. Going to save up... I compared my Yamaha to a 2000$ acoustic and a Roland electric but the speakers are pretty bad on the Yamaha.

Keep in mind that if the built-in speakers suck, you could in theory hook it up to better external speakers. But ideally, you want one with great internal speakers so you don't need to carry anything else with the piano.