Laptop Win Vista (yes) stuck at startup repair loop

Hello everyone,

I have an old laptop that was running fine until recently where when I boot it up, the WIndows OS goes into startup repair and it never ends. This is Windows Vista.

I've tried Startup Repair - failed

System Restore - failed

Chkdsk scan - bad sector found

I did backed up on this hard drive, and I can't think of anything to bring back the laptop to life, 

Any advise or how to fix bad sectors? I didn't take a note of the message from command prompt after chkdisk scan.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, kee23 said:

Hello everyone,

I have an old laptop that was running fine until recently where when I boot it up, the WIndows OS goes into startup repair and it never ends. This is Windows Vista.

I've tried Startup Repair - failed

System Restore - failed

Chkdsk scan - bad sector found

I did backed up on this hard drive, and I can't think of anything to bring back the laptop to life, 

Any advise or how to fix bad sectors? I didn't take a note of the message from command prompt after chkdisk scan.

Thanks

Sounds like it needs a new hard drive to me. Mechanical drives only last for so long anyway.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I didn't get a chance to backup browser though :(

That's the only thing I want to bring it back

So before running chkdsk again, do a HDD diagnostic. If it's a bad HDD then running chkdsk repair could destroy data. Check your boot options and your BIOS to see if the manufacturer has included a diagnostic tool. If not, Seagate Seatools and WD Data Lifeguard both have bootable tools to do diagnostics. If the HDD is verified as fine, then run chkdsk /f /r  This will attempt to repair the file system and fix any bad sectors. Again, run the diagnostic tool FIRST. If the diagnostic fails then focus on doing data recovery. We can talk about those options in another post once you've had a chance to run the diagnostics.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

I say try to get Linux installed and just check if everything on the laptop is actually working.