Should i get the HX1200i?

Lehtinen.V

I'm building my first pc and have decided to get the best that I can. For the cpu planning to go with the 9900k, for the graphics card the Msi rtx 2080 ti, mobo asrock z390 Taichi Ultimate and everything else doesn't really conume that much power to me to list it. Is the HX1200i overkill for this build and should I go with a different power supply?

I have the HX1000i in one system and that's overkill already. Basically you'll have more than enough power to add a 2nd GPU in the future if you decide to want to. If the price difference isn't much compared to lower models in the series, doesn't matter much.

It is also a little weird that these PSUs can operate fanless at low % power, so you might not ever notice the fan going on, which even if it does is pretty close to silent anyway.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Way overkill, even if you were to get 3x 2080 Tis and overclock them. A good 550W is plenty for overclocking with a single GPU. 

:)

You don't need a 1200W PSU with a single graphics card. Your actual usage would be less than half that. There are cheaper, lower wattage PSUs in the HXi range. I think they start at 750W.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, seon123 said:

Way overkill, even if you were to get 3x 2080 Tis and overclock them. A good 550W is plenty for overclocking with a single GPU. 

I would not rely on a 550W for the OP's proposed hardware. It is ok for running that as stock, but would have extremely limited scope for expanding in future. No point skimping on PSU given rest of build.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

I would not rely on a 550W for the OP's proposed hardware. It is ok for running that as stock, but would have extremely limited scope for expanding in future. No point skimping on PSU given rest of build.

Unless OP decides to go multi GPU and/or HEDT (neither of which really sense), 550W is plenty. 

Assuming 300W from the overclocked GPU and 180W from the CPU, that's fine on a good 550W. (Anandtech's number for the 9900K at 5,3GHz 1,325V) Using Tomshardware's number of 250W at 4,8GHz when AVX, at 1,33V, it might be on the edge. 

For running Furmark and Prime 95 with an overclocked 9900K and 2080 Ti, sure, it might not be enough. But I don't really consider that to be a realistic workload. 

For that, a good 650W is plenty. 

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Unless OP decides to go multi GPU and/or HEDT (neither of which really sense), 550W is plenty. 

Assuming 300W from the overclocked GPU and 180W from the CPU, that's fine on a good 550W. (Anandtech's number for the 9900K at 5,3GHz 1,325V) Using Tomshardware's number of 250W at 4,8GHz when AVX, at 1,33V, it might be on the edge. 

For running Furmark and Prime 95 with an overclocked 9900K and 2080 Ti, sure, it might not be enough. But I don't really consider that to be a realistic workload. 

For that, a good 650W is plenty. 

I'd agree a 650W is probably comfortable for the known build. Still think 550W is an unnecessary cut and doesn't leave any headroom.

I'be been in the situation, where I've got a high end (for the time) consumer part system, and to extend its life debate throwing in a 2nd GPU. With a minimal PSU like these, it isn't happening. To allow for the possibility of this expansion, I'd look at 800W minimum and even that is probably not adequate. I know, there has not been any discussion about OP considering SLI in future, but it would be an option.

Also these PSUs run fan off at lower %, so with an overkill enough PSU the fan might never need to come on even under load. Not a stated requirement, but could be a factor for consideration.

I also think that if someone is buying the top consumer CPU with the top consumer GPU, why look for the minimal PSU?

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Still think 550W is an unnecessary cut and doesn't leave any headroom.

Guess we'll disagree, then. That's fine. 

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I'be been in the situation, where I've got a high end (for the time) consumer part system, and to extend its life debate throwing in a 2nd GPU. With a minimal PSU like these, it isn't happening. To allow for the possibility of this expansion, I'd look at 800W minimum and even that is probably not adequate. I know, there has not been any discussion about OP considering SLI in future, but it would be an option.

Multi GPU is getting less and less common, with single GPUs getting more and more powerful. Just replacing the GPU might be a better option in the future, depending on how NVLink gets supported and how fast OP feels the need to upgrade. I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell for sure if multi GPU is worth planning for, but I'm going with no, not worth it. 

7 minutes ago, porina said:

Also these PSUs run fan off at lower %, so with an overkill enough PSU the fan might never need to come on even under load. Not a stated requirement, but could be a factor for consideration.

Depends on the PSU in question.

Be quiet doesn't have semi passive PSUs at all, yet their PSUs are among the quietest on the market.

The lower wattage versions of the BitFenix Whisper M also don't have a semi passive mode. Instead, they run the fan at a very low RPM. The higher wattage versions are significantly louder

The EVGA G3 has a semi passive mode, but the higher wattage versions are much louder than the lower wattage ones. The fan comes on earlier than for the lower wattage versions, and runs the fan faster at the same loads. The fan starts at a 60W load at 1520RPM for the 1000W G3.

Of course, there are examples of the opposite. 

18 minutes ago, porina said:

I also think that if someone is buying the top consumer CPU with the top consumer GPU, why look for the minimal PSU?

You can get high end 550-650W PSUs. Getting a Dark Power Pro 11 550W or Prime Ultra Titanium 650W is not going for the minimal PSU. 

Thanks for the messages, maybe I'll just save a few bucks here and get some better parts and go with a less powerful psu.