Backup Solution

Aspect11

So I am trying to find a backup solution that will allow me to backup my Windows 10 desktop. My computer is around 825Gb and I would like in the backup solution:

• Fast backup solution.
  • Ability to backup to a network location.
  • Can backup my C:\ and D:\ drive.

If anyone can find this for me I will be greatly thankful.

Thanks!

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3

CPU: Intel Core I7 4790K

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970

RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB

HDD: Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB

SSD: KINGSTON SV300S37A480G 450GB

Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

Case: NZXT H440 Red

Monitor: DELL U2412M

Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K7

Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

6 minutes ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:
  • Fast backup solution.

Hope you have money....those two options are generally mutually exclusive

Having said that, LTO tape...

Or a nice fat NAS

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Or a nice fat NAS

I can pay and have a server, but I just need now is software!

Specs:

Just now, DerpDiamonds1 said:

I can pay and have a server, but I just need now is software!

Veritas BackupExec. Only program you need

https://www.veritas.com/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Or a nice fat NAS

Ok then, are there any other solutions that can backup to a network location that are moderate speed? Veritas seems a bit overkill to me.

Specs:

Ok then, are there any other solutions that can backup to a network location that are moderate speed? Veritas seems a bit overkill to me.

You said you have money! ?

As far as a network location, any software, even the built-in Windows Backup can. Speed is dependent on your network.   

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

You said you have money! ?

As far as a network location, any software, even the built-in Windows Backup can. Speed is dependent on your network.   

I know what I said! ?

What software do you personally recommend?

Specs:

1 minute ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:

I know what I said! ?

Can't you just use imaging software like Macrium Reflect? You'll get single big file backup, but that single file is mountable in your system, so you still have access to your backup without restoring whole image.

I know what I said! ?

Veritas BackupExec.....like I said.

I use it at work, and at home to back up my NAS units to LTO tape.

Is it overkill?

Absolutely....

But how precious is your data?

Otherwise, Windows Backup does a fine job

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

Can't you just use imaging software like Macrium Reflect? You'll get single big file backup, but that single file is mountable in your system, so you still have access to your backup without restoring whole image.

What do you mean by "You'll get single big file backup, but that single file is mountable in your system"?

Specs:

4 minutes ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:

What do you mean by "You'll get single big file backup, but that single file is mountable in your system"?

I mean what I wrote - backup of your whole HDD or SSD will be single, big file. But this file is mountable in your system - so if you double click on that file, you can mount it as "X:" drive (for example) and restore any files you want. Paid version allows you to made incremental backups, free - just whole partition backup/image.

-= Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I mean what I wrote - backup of your whole HDD or SSD will be single, big file. But this file is mountable in your system - so if you double click on that file, you can mount it as "X:" drive (for example) and restore any files you want. Paid version allows you to made incremental backups, free - just whole partition backup/image.

On the software, what is the best template to use out of Grandfather, father, son, differential, incremental and incrementals forever?

Specs:

57 minutes ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:

So I am trying to find a backup solution that will allow me to backup my Windows 10 desktop. My computer is around 825Gb and I would like in the backup solution:

• Fast backup solution.
  • Can backup my C:\ and D:\ drive.

If anyone can find this for me I will be greatly thankful.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:

On the software, what is the best template to use out of Grandfather, father, son, differential, incremental and incrementals forever?

Nonbe of the above.

Assuming you only have the OS and programs on your C:/ drive and data only on your D:/, Your best solution would be full imagng on the C:/ drive and folder/file syncing on the D:/ drive.

I only recommend full imaging. Differential and incremental imaging adds unnecessary complication and opens up too many opportunities to lose a file necessary to do a restore. As long as you are imaging only C:// drive and it has only your programs (games are considered to be programs) and the OS on it, the images will not be excessively large.

I also recommend not making images on a schedule. It's better to make one just before downloading updates, installing or removing programs, or making changes to settings. This can be as little as once a month. There is no need to make images if nothing has been changed by you on the computer. This saves time and the amount of space to store the images. How many you keep on hand is a user choice that depends on storage space available and how far back you feel you may need to go. Generally, a couple of months should be enough.

Keep in mind that the drive an image is kept on can fail so it needs to be backed up. I put my images on one of the data drives in my computer. Since the data drive gets backed up, the images automatically get backed up. Keeping images on my computer is a convenience I can afford since I have plenty of room for them. However, if space on the data drive in your computer is at a premium, separate backup drives can be used. Remember to keep the drive with the images on it backed up.

I recommend Macrium Reflect Free. Most people do not need the added features of the paid version and Cleverbridge, the company that handles the payments for Macrium Reflect, cannot be trusted anymore. I've found Macrium Reflect to be very reliable. As soon as it is installed on your computer, be sure to make at least one (preferably two) backup media (CD or USB flash drive). You will need it to restore an image to your computer.

For data only, imaging is too time consuming and takes up too much drive space. Folder/file syncing is much faster and takes up less space. When set to Mirror mode (not the same as RAID 1, btw), a folder/file syncing program will compare the source drive (in your case, the D:/ drive) with the backup drive, then it will copy any data on the source drive that isn't on the backup drive to the backup drive and delete any data on the backup that isn't on the source drive. The result is essentially an exact copy of the source drive on the backup drive. Since only new, changed, and deleted programs are involved, backup updates can be achieved very quickly, especially compared to imaging.

The better folder/file syncing programs also have a feature called Versioning. When enabled (which i strongly recommend), Versioning will direct files deleted from the backup drive to a user designated versioning folder or drive. This protects you from losing data due to accidental deletion and file corruption.

I recommend FreeFileSync for folder/file syncing. SyncToy is another popular option.

Not matter what software you use, for your data to be reasonably safe, it must exist in at least three different places. For most people, this means  the computer, an onsite backup drive, and an offsite backup drive. For a drive to be a backup drive, It must be kept powered down and disconnected from the computer except while updating the backup. Onsite and offsite backup drives should be swapped out as often as practical to keep the offsite backup as up to date as possible.

To ensure you do not backup any viruses or other  malware, you should run antivirus and antimalware scans immediately prior to updating backups.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Small hint about file syncing - not every folder on your D drive is probably the same imporatnt. In my case I have some folders I want to backup often and others that I don't really care. So I'm using Synchredible tool with predefined actions - it makes nice folders backup (probably like all other tools @Lady Fitzgerald mention) and takes less time than full hard drive backup.

BUT - if you want to pay for extra functionality, then I don't see reason why differential scheduled image can be bad. It can be really fast and programs (Reflect included) made this really smart way. Of course creating full backup from time to time is something I recommend anyway, kind of extra protection just in case, but time is important too. You must decide is your data that important to pay for backup solutions or free ones will be the same good.

And another thing - you can test few programs by yourself and decide which one is the best for you. It will be probably best option, because most popular tools are not always the best for everyone.

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Nonbe of the above.

Assuming you only have the OS and programs on your C:/ drive and data only on your D:/, Your best solution would be full imagng on the C:/ drive and folder/file syncing on the D:/ drive.

I only recommend full imaging. Differential and incremental imaging adds unnecessary complication and opens up too many opportunities to lose a file necessary to do a restore. As long as you are imaging only C:// drive and it has only your programs (games are considered to be programs) and the OS on it, the images will not be excessively large.

I also recommend not making images on a schedule. It's better to make one just before downloading updates, installing or removing programs, or making changes to settings. This can be as little as once a month. There is no need to make images if nothing has been changed by you on the computer. This saves time and the amount of space to store the images. How many you keep on hand is a user choice that depends on storage space available and how far back you feel you may need to go. Generally, a couple of months should be enough.

Keep in mind that the drive an image is kept on can fail so it needs to be backed up. I put my images on one of the data drives in my computer. Since the data drive gets backed up, the images automatically get backed up. Keeping images on my computer is a convenience I can afford since I have plenty of room for them. However, if space on the data drive in your computer is at a premium, separate backup drives can be used. Remember to keep the drive with the images on it backed up.

I recommend Macrium Reflect Free. Most people do not need the added features of the paid version and Cleverbridge, the company that handles the payments for Macrium Reflect, cannot be trusted anymore. I've found Macrium Reflect to be very reliable. As soon as it is installed on your computer, be sure to make at least one (preferably two) backup media (CD or USB flash drive). You will need it to restore an image to your computer.

For data only, imaging is too time consuming and takes up too much drive space. Folder/file syncing is much faster and takes up less space. When set to Mirror mode (not the same as RAID 1, btw), a folder/file syncing program will compare the source drive (in your case, the D:/ drive) with the backup drive, then it will copy any data on the source drive that isn't on the backup drive to the backup drive and delete any data on the backup that isn't on the source drive. The result is essentially an exact copy of the source drive on the backup drive. Since only new, changed, and deleted programs are involved, backup updates can be achieved very quickly, especially compared to imaging.

The better folder/file syncing programs also have a feature called Versioning. When enabled (which i strongly recommend), Versioning will direct files deleted from the backup drive to a user designated versioning folder or drive. This protects you from losing data due to accidental deletion and file corruption.

I recommend FreeFileSync for folder/file syncing. SyncToy is another popular option.

Not matter what software you use, for your data to be reasonably safe, it must exist in at least three different places. For most people, this means  the computer, an onsite backup drive, and an offsite backup drive. For a drive to be a backup drive, It must be kept powered down and disconnected from the computer except while updating the backup. Onsite and offsite backup drives should be swapped out as often as practical to keep the offsite backup as up to date as possible.

To ensure you do not backup any viruses or other  malware, you should run antivirus and antimalware scans immediately prior to updating backups.

I currently have my OS and a few programs on my C:/ drive with the majority of my other programs on my D:/. There is a few other files on my C:/ like documents and other stuff, but the majority of my programs, documents and data is on my D:/ drive.

Also my C:/ is around 200GB big and my D:/ is around 600GB. So if you could tell me the best way to backup my computer it would be much appreciated. My destination is a linux server in my house so it should be fast, at least I think so.

Thanks!

Specs:

36 minutes ago, DerpDiamonds1 said:

I currently have my OS and a few programs on my C:/ drive with the majority of my other programs on my D:/. There is a few other files on my C:/ like documents and other stuff, but the majority of my programs, documents and data is on my D:/ drive.

Also my C:/ is around 200GB big and my D:/ is around 600GB. So if you could tell me the best way to backup my computer it would be much appreciated. My destination is a linux server in my house so it should be fast, at least I think so.

Thanks!

Would it be possible to move the data on your C:/ drive to the D:/ drive and reinstall your programs currently on the D:/ drive onto the C:/ drive? I moved my Documents, Music, Pictures, and Video folders from my User folder in C:/ over to my data drives and have my OS and programs only on the C:/ drive. It vastly simplifies and speeds up backups.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

...BUT - if you want to pay for extra functionality, then I don't see reason why differential scheduled image can be bad. It can be really fast and programs (Reflect included) made this really smart way...

Granted, incremental and differential imaging can be faster but speed isn't really important when doing a process that you simply start, then go about your merry way while the computer does the work (including continuing to use the computer).

The reason I discourage the use of incremental and differential imaging is you have to keep track of the initilal full image and the additional image files to be able to use them to restore to an earlier time. This can get tricky fast and if just one of a set of images gets lost or corrupted, the whole lot since the corrupted image will be lost.

Considering that imaging is needed only just before making a change on the boot drive or partition, most people will only need to make an image around once or twice a month. Since images are normally compressed, an image of, say, 200GB may actually be only around half that, give or take. My OS and programs on the notebook I'm using right now is taking up only 66GB and the last image was only 40GB.

Jeannie

16 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Would it be possible to move the data on your C:/ drive to the D:/ drive and reinstall your programs currently on the D:/ drive onto the C:/ drive? I moved my Documents, Music, Pictures, and Video folders from my User folder in C:/ over to my data drives and have my OS and programs only on the C:/ drive. It vastly simplifies and speeds up backups.

Not really, my C:/ drive is only 500GB and I am currently using 300GB, so I don't really see a way to move my programs from the D:/ drive to the C:/ drive.

Specs:

Not really, my C:/ drive is only 500GB and I am currently using 300GB, so I don't really see a way to move my programs from the D:/ drive to the C:/ drive.

How much capacity is the data on your C:/ drive taking up and how much capacity are the programs on your D:/ drive taking up? What is the total size of your D:/drive? 

Jeannie

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

How much capacity is the data on your C:/ drive taking up and how much capacity are the programs on your D:/ drive taking up? What is the total size of your D:/drive? 

My C:/ drive is 500GB and I am using 300GB. My D:/ is 2.72TB and I am using 600GB. Any more questions and I will be happy to answer!

Specs:

My C:/ drive is 500GB and I am using 300GB. My D:/ is 2.72TB and I am using 600GB. Any more questions and I will be happy to answer!

Again, How much capacity is the data on your C:/ drive taking up and how much capacity are the programs on your D:/ drive taking up?

Jeannie

@DerpDiamonds1: You get all answers you need. Now it's your choice - use ANY solution we suggested or ask more questions. I recommend first option.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Again, How much capacity is the data on your C:/ drive taking up and how much capacity are the programs on your D:/ drive taking up?

On C:/ the data is taking up 300Gb and on D:/ the data is taking up 600GB.

Specs:

On C:/ the data is taking up 300Gb and on D:/ the data is taking up 600GB.

Does that 300GB on the C:/ drive include the OS and some programs?

Jeannie