Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Outlook Account may have been Hacked!...Please Help!

csta

My Account may have been Hacked!...Please Help!

Okay so...i usually don't have issues when it comes to accoutn security but this is a proper first time i have been scared...I logged into my outlook account this evening to find this suspicious email...

"Hello!

My nickname in darknet is el14.
I hacked this mailbox more than six months ago, 
through it I infected your operating system with a virus (trojan) created by me and have been monitoring you for a long time.

So, your password from ********@live.co.uk is ctrlaltdel

Even if you changed the password after that - it does not matter, my virus intercepted all the caching data on your computer
and automatically saved access for me.

I have access to all your accounts, social networks, email, browsing history.
Accordingly, I have the data of all your contacts, files from your computer, photos and videos.

I was most struck by the intimate content sites that you occasionally visit.
You have a very wild imagination, I tell you!

During your pastime and entertainment there, I took screenshot through the camera of your device, synchronizing with what you are watching.
Oh my god! You are so funny and excited!

I think that you do not want all your contacts to get these files, right?
If you are of the same opinion, then I think that $821 is quite a fair price to destroy the dirt I created.

Send the above amount on my BTC wallet (bitcoin): 1NXNt72qfMhPZDffUEqryCYpEUzyR6LmgH
As soon as the above amount is received, I guarantee that the data will be deleted, I do not need it.

Otherwise, these files and history of visiting sites will get all your contacts from your device.
Also, I'll send to everyone your contact access to your email and access logs, I have carefully saved it!

Since reading this letter you have 48 hours!
After your reading this message, I'll receive an automatic notification that you have seen the letter.

I hope I taught you a good lesson.
Do not be so nonchalant, please visit only to proven resources, and don't enter your passwords anywhere!
Good luck!"

Sadly the scary part is most that was said was true this was indeed my password and most of what he said sounded about accurate...I have went and changed my password also setup two step authentication using the Microsoft App etc and i dunno if there's anything else i can do to protect myself...Please if anyone can share advice i'd greatly appreciate it thanks in advance :(

Apologies...I duno who else to ask for help...I even reached out to Microsoft but i couldn't even speak to a real person about the matter so figured i'd try here for advice and assistant etc, also the person left this as a send email to myself so it's as if they had access to my accoutn and that's how they were able to send the email message to myself at least that's how the email reads says sent from the same email address...am just worried the person may still have access...also i did within the past week have had a new router as well as formatted my system so i know my hardware should be okay am just wondering have i covered all bases :S

It's a scam, there were a couple threads very similar to this a few weeks ago on the forums. Ignore it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Yuoaman said:

You're fine. They probably found your email and an old password in a data breach, they don't have access to your computer. This is a common scam. 

I hope your right because it proper scared the shit out of me lol I usually ignore all these sort of emails but the fact this one was actually sent from my own email address it made me think ahh they might actually of gained access plus they did indeed have the correct password...i do now have two step authentication setup sadly its not as good as googles but as long as it works i should be okay here's hoping.

11 minutes ago, csta said:

I hope your right because it proper scared the shit out of me lol I usually ignore all these sort of emails but the fact this one was actually sent from my own email address it made me think ahh they might actually of gained access plus they did indeed have the correct password...i do now have two step authentication setup sadly its not as good as googles but as long as it works i should be okay here's hoping.

It takes about 1 second to spoof an email to look like it's coming from your own email address via a script.

Edit:

For clarity, you don't need a script, just a mail server to send from but it's probably faster with a script to do it all for you :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, SnowWolf370 said:

Remember to change passwords, use unique passwords for different sites.

On Outlook and many other Microsoft services, such as your main Microsoft account.. Or most other services, try setting up additional security.

Such as pin code being sent via SMS to your phone and what-not.

Yeah i just did that thanks

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

It takes about 1 second to spoof an email to look like it's coming from your own email address via a script.

Interesting thanks for the heads up.

Thanks everyone i really do appreciate all the help and support, I'll keep an eye on things over the next 48 hours to see if this scammer does actually manage to take over my account so here's hoping everything's okay.

7 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Oh yeah I would also recommend getting a much better password than [redacted]

Especially now... ?

You'll need to change passwords on any accounts that use that password. Also a good idea to change passwords on all accounts regularly and to use different passwords for each service. Additionally 2fa can help protect your account.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Hey Spotty, does Steam have 2fa?

Yes. You can set it up using the steam mobile app.

Err or maybe the app is for authenticating actions when already logged in... 

It does have 2fa though. Set it up in your account settings.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You should probably have run a scan with Malwarebytes with rootkit scanning enabled before changing passwords. If someone does have a RAT, backdoor, rootkit, keylogger etc. on your PC they could get your new passwords as you type them in.

Make sure you store your 2FA backup codes somewhere safe. Like a DVD or piece of paper in as safe. You lose those and break the device with the authenticator on it and youre locked out. 

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

Yes. You can set it up using the steam mobile app.

Err or maybe the app is for authenticating actions when already logged in... 

It does have 2fa though. Set it up in your account settings.

Steam has 2FA for login attempts and trades using the mobile app. You should also add your phone number to your account under account settings and make sure the email you have the account attached to has 2FA enabled.