Upgrading my GPU and maybe more Need advice!

So, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU. My PC's specs can be seen below. It's been 5 years or so sense I built this PC and judging by the dropped frames I'm getting on a lot of the more recent titles I figured it's time for an upgrade. Recent games such as Monster Hunter World, Nioh, Doom etc. In many cases I must resort to setting graphics too low for a decent frame rate because low frame rates frustrate me to no end.

Some examples of some upcoming titles I'll likely be playing are DMC5, Nioh 2, Sekio: Shadows Die Twice, RE2, Soul Calibur 6, cyberpunk 2077, DOOM: Eternal, ES6, Dying light 2. I know the required system specs for a a lot of those games aren't out yet but I figured it might give an idea of the games I play. (basically, anything that's not a dating sim, racing or 4x game) I was thinking of getting a a GTX 1080 cause I've seen some people say they're a good value. From what I've seen it's $200-$300 cheaper than the 1080 TI so I could use that $200-$300 on something else I need or just pocket the cash. If the rest of my system is good to go and can make use of it, I might buy a 120 or 144hz monitor to go with my GPU. I'm curious to try a high refresh rate monitor because I care a lot more about how smooth things are running than pushing the graphics to Ultra. I have no interest 4k.

I’m looking to spend around $800 probably at most. It’s probably not responsible for me to be spending much more. I imagine some people would say $800 is already a lot. My current monitor is  VX2753mh-LED - ViewSonic. I don’t know what my power supplies wattage is. I don’t see the label I think I would have to unscrew it from the case cause the label might be hiding on the bottom or the back.. I assume the PSU will be fine if it doesn’t currently cause me problems right or do you think that’s something I need to check? I got it like 5 years ago along with everything else.

System Specs.PNG

I would suggest probably a new PSU, GPU, and monitor. Although this is over the $800 budget it should offer you a much longer life out of the system. If you can get the make/model of the PSU that would help but I'm thinking it might be pretty meh, doesn't hurt to double check though. If the PSU isn't bad quality then drop that from the list and look at adding in another 8GB of RAM or something.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB FTW ULTRA SILENT GAMING Video Card  ($434.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($359.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $864.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-20 12:44 EDT-0400

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I genuinely think a high refresh-rate monitor and a GTX1080/1070ti is the more rational thing to do. Like you said 
Maybe just add 8GB RAM for a total of 16GB?

Now the question is whether you go for 1080p or QHD. I leave that up to you

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB Video Card  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: VIOTEK - GN27D 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($329.99 @ Walmart) 
Total: $809.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-20 12:48 EDT-0400

144hz 1440p with Freesync to make it even smoother. 

Your CPU will hold up fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ah I found my power supply in my order history after I already ordered my new card. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073 (power supply 750w) I decided to grab this GPU (1080) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127950 I'll grab a new monitor later was looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/PG278QR-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01N4ENDXR/ref=sr_1_1?tag=monitnerds-20&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1518724486&sr=1-1&keywords=PG278qr#customerReviews to go with my Nvidia card.