[Problem] Adding a new internal HDD to a ASUS GL12CP

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install a new internal hdd in my ASUS GL12CP (Model #: GL12CP-BS771-CB). I plug everything, and both the bios and the disk management does not detect my hdd. So I swap the SATA cable that was use for my current hdd with the new one. The new hdd is detected (but my old one not). So that means this is not the hdd or the power cable that cause the problem.

So I tried with a SATA cable that I knew work in my old computer, and still nothing. This leads me thinking it has to be the port I am plugging in.

I can't find anything on the web for this problem, nothing in the manual on ASUS side (MANUAL LINK). Leading me here, anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2018 at 7:36 PM, LolnationCH said:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install a new internal hdd in my ASUS GL12CP (Model #: GL12CP-BS771-CB). I plug everything, and both the bios and the disk management does not detect my hdd. So I swap the SATA cable that was use for my current hdd with the new one. The new hdd is detected (but my old one not). So that means this is not the hdd or the power cable that cause the problem.

So I tried with a SATA cable that I knew work in my old computer, and still nothing. This leads me thinking it has to be the port I am plugging in.

I can't find anything on the web for this problem, nothing in the manual on ASUS side (MANUAL LINK). Leading me here, anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Hi! I am having the same exact problem with my ASUS GL12CP. I even replaced the machine with a new one as I thought it had a faulty sata port. But it's the same story with the new one and I don't know what's going on, did you ever found a solution to this? 

Thanks, 

Tommi

On 11/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, johnjohn11 said:

Hi! I am having the same exact problem with my ASUS GL12CP. I even replaced the machine with a new one as I thought it had a faulty sata port. But it's the same story with the new one and I don't know what's going on, did you ever found a solution to this? 

Thanks, 

Tommi

Yes and no.

I ended up unplugging the CD drive to use it's SATA port. It works, but you don't have a CD drive anymore...

Bought a SATA to USB 3.0 cable for it.

Not perfect, but the lesson seems to be don't buy pre-built computer from big company like Best Buy and Walmart...

Have a good day,

LolnationCH

Hi and thanks for your reply. I actually got the problem solved now. After I had no ideas anymore and not ANY help from Asus  support, I unplugged everything once again, only this time I plugged SSD to the originally emty SATA port. SSD works from there, cd and HDD won't. Have no idea why it's like that, they are all SATA 6g ports. Asus support is waste of time.

Regards,

Tommi

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have the GL12CP as well, I found this thread searching for any issues with a 2nd HDD.

I've already been burnt by the "4 DIMM slots" deception by Best Buy (there ARE 4, but you can only use 2 at a time because of the crippled intel H.310 chipset) so I wanted to know first before spending good money for something useless.

According to ASUS the "CP" only supports 4 SATA ports (CX and CM have 5, intel Z390/Z370 chipset); one is the SSD (since CP doesn't support PCIe it's an M2 SATA model), one is the 1TB HDD, one is the Optical drive and the last one (presumably) is the swappable bay. 

So it looks like that's what the problem is.

Apparently the missing SATA port is located under the graphics card, but the chipset is not supporting it, so I'd have to consider to not use the hot-swapable bay?