Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The best 13' for my usage

Hello Guys.

I have been reading a lot trough forums, and i'm looking for a 13' Laptop to replace my old thinkpad X230... but i'm a little bit lost with all the branding, marketing, and  all the choice. That's why i'm posting on the forum.

I'm mainly Developper / Sysadmin, i don't need the fanciest/latest tech. Perhaps, i'm looking for something i can use at least for 5/7years (like my 230 :D), and with some light game capability.

No really budget limit.

13 inch display MAXIMUM

16 GB of ram, possibility of installing more (32 ?)

i5, i7, Amd.. doesn't matter that much.

A discrete gpu (Nvidia preferred, but i can look for a red one too :D) like a 1050 or a 1060.

Something with a good battery life, around 6-8h a day in normal use would be awesome.

Something build like a rock, (i love my x230 for that, being in the desert, tropical environment for years, still work like a charm)... and not that much heavier if possible.

Basically, the same that i have now, upgraded with a gpu :D

I think that i maybe ask for too much, but who know... :)

Tachikomas

Lenovo comes to mind for ruggedness. Not sure if you're easily going to find 13" ones with a GPU in them though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Where are you from?

52 minutes ago, Tachikomas said:

A discrete gpu (Nvidia preferred, but i can look for a red one too :D) like a 1050 or a 1060

It's VERY hard to have such powerful GPUs in 13 inch laptops. eGPU is better. dGPU also kills battery life

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

9 minutes ago, Tachikomas said:

Even when they are not on ?

Yes

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

About egpu. Can i buy a laptop like a lenovo, and using like a razer egpu enclosure ?

12 minutes ago, Tachikomas said:

About egpu. Can i buy a laptop like a lenovo, and using like a razer egpu enclosure ?

No guarantee on compatibility (may encounter some issues), however it should work most of the time

So you're OK with eGPU? BTW, 13 inch Ultrabook+desktop PC is better than the laptop+eGPU IMO

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I really don't want a desktop pc. I don't have the space at home for it and i'm moving too much to transport it either. So the best solution is eGpu ?

14 minutes ago, Tachikomas said:

So the best solution is eGpu ?

Yup

Where are you from? I'm going to pick the best options for you

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Eu :) (French, but living in Austria).

@Williyamithadude I am also thinking of it.

1 minute ago, Tachikomas said:

French, but living in Austria

So where are you buying from? Any links of online stores?

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I can basically buy from us, or something else, i don't really care, as long as the keyboard is Qwerty :)

Latitude 7390 (only 1 RAM slot)

Latitude 7390 2 in 1 (soldered RAM up to 16GB)

Thinkpad X380 Yoga (only 1 RAM slot)

Thinkpad X280 (soldered RAM up to 16GB)

Elitebook 830 G5 with SureView 300 cd/m², 72% sRGB

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

the only laptop I can think of that's 13" and hits all the performance in a alienwhare. its a gtx 1060 in a 13" with 16gb of ram and i7. the only problem is its not light and some people have issues with the quality.