Want to know if a 450watt 80+ psu is enough for my build?

Guysguy

I am building a pc with ryzen3 2200G and msi B450M pro-VDH motherboard.The ram is Gskills ripjaws V 8GB single stick.One 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD 7.2k RPM from WD.I will try to add add atleast 3 120mm fans in my case for better airflow and a better cpu cooler.I wan't to add a gtx 1060 in future and I'm going to overclock both 1060 and the ryzen 3.When I calculated the psu wattage it was around 338watt.  But I  doubt if a 450watt psu is enough for my build with overclocking , If not which psu should I buy to satisfy the power requirements considering my budget of Rs.4000 for psu.

15 hours ago, Guysguy said:

I am building a pc with ryzen3 2200G and msi B450M pro-VDH motherboard.The ram is Gskills ripjaws V 8GB single stick.One 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD 7.2k RPM from WD.I will try to add add atleast 3 120mm fans in my case for better airflow and a better cpu cooler.I wan't to add a gtx 1060 in future and I'm going to overclock both 1060 and the ryzen 3.When I calculated the psu wattage it was around 338watt.  But I  doubt if a 450watt psu is enough for my build with overclocking , If not which psu should I buy to satisfy the power requirements considering my budget of Rs.4000 for psu.

It will be fine but in my opinion upgrading to a 550 watt will be much safer

A 450W PSU will be fine. Grab a decent quality 80+ Bronze PSU. Check the PSU Tier list and see which PSUs are available and affordable in your region that are of acceptable quality.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

A 450W PSU will be fine. Grab a decent quality 80+ Bronze PSU. Check the PSU Tier list and see which PSUs are available and affordable in your region that are of acceptable quality.

Thankyou for replying

4 hours ago, Txe said:

Thanks for your opinion.

11 hours ago, Guysguy said:

I am building a pc with ryzen3 2200G and msi B450M pro-VDH motherboard.The ram is Gskills ripjaws V 8GB single stick.One 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD 7.2k RPM from WD.I will try to add add atleast 3 120mm fans in my case for better airflow and a better cpu cooler.I wan't to add a gtx 1060 in future and I'm going to overclock both 1060 and the ryzen 3.

For overclocking I highly recommend a powermeter.

As for Wattage: Under normal load, you should expect something like 250W or so.

When I calculated the psu wattage it was around 338watt. 

urgh, no.

The most important is CPU (65W) + GPU (~150W), the rest is not really relevant. Maybe 5-10W for a HDD, maybe 5W for an SSD, Memory also another 5W or so...

But I  doubt if a 450watt psu is enough for my build with overclocking ,

A 450W is not.

A good quality PSU like Bitfenix Formula, be quiet Straight Power 11 has no problem with that.

But I'd rather go for quality than wattage right now. 

If not which psu should I buy to satisfy the power requirements considering my budget of Rs.4000 for psu.

What's available?? What can you get?

A very important thing is DC-DC, that is something you must not compromize on.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 10/20/2018 at 2:47 PM, Stefan Payne said:

For overclocking I highly recommend a powermeter.

I thought powermeters were not good

A very important thing is DC-DC, that is something you must not compromize on.

What if the PSU has OVP/UVP properly configured? is group-regulation something that should be put aside under any circumstance?

The most important is CPU (65W) + GPU (~150W), the rest is not really relevant. Maybe 5-10W for a HDD, maybe 5W for an SSD,

65W is the TDP not the power draw IIRC

7 hours ago, 17030644 said:

I thought powermeters were not good

They at least give you an idea of where your PSU Is and if the OC you do is making sense or not.

They are inaccurate in an absolute things and can be wrong there.

But if you use it to measure the difference in a before <-> after situation, some aren't that bad.

Though I'm in Germany and I can get various decent models for like 10€ or so. 

Even Named Brands like Brennstuhl.

What if the PSU has OVP/UVP properly configured? is group-regulation something that should be put aside under any circumstance?

Yes, under any circumstances.

There might be the Office Situation where your PC Is under 100W at load where a somewhat OKish 300W PSU could eventually make sense.

But that is the only thing...

And even there I'd avoid it if possible.

With DC-DC PSU you often times see that the OCP is implemented in the DC-DC module, though not all. The cheap Seasonic Gold plattform w/o much heatsinks for example doesn't do that, thus burn the DC-DC module when overloaded - wich is really bad as 12V can go through them...

65W is the TDP not the power draw IIRC

AMD uses the more conventional TDP measures wich means that their TDP is close to the maximum power their CPU uses.

On Intel the "TDP" thing is absolute nonsense that won't tell you shit and everyone should flame Intel for this shit. 

On 10/22/2018 at 3:41 AM, Stefan Payne said:

They at least give you an idea of where your PSU Is and if the OC you do is making sense or not.

They are inaccurate in an absolute things and can be wrong there.

But if you use it to measure the difference in a before <-> after situation, some aren't that bad.

Though I'm in Germany and I can get various decent models for like 10€ or so. 

Even Named Brands like Brennstuhl.

Yes, under any circumstances.

There might be the Office Situation where your PC Is under 100W at load where a somewhat OKish 300W PSU could eventually make sense.

But that is the only thing...

And even there I'd avoid it if possible.

With DC-DC PSU you often times see that the OCP is implemented in the DC-DC module, though not all. The cheap Seasonic Gold plattform w/o much heatsinks for example doesn't do that, thus burn the DC-DC module when overloaded - wich is really bad as 12V can go through them...

AMD uses the more conventional TDP measures wich means that their TDP is close to the maximum power their CPU uses.

On Intel the "TDP" thing is absolute nonsense that won't tell you shit and everyone should flame Intel for this shit. 

so group-regulated units are a that risky for your PC?

What cheap seasonic gold platform do you mean?

And It's still hard for me to believe the TDP thing, because an R3 1200 and an R7 1700 both have a 65W TDP despite being very different CPUs

10 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

so group-regulated units are a that risky for your PC?

Yes, that is possible

What cheap seasonic gold platform do you mean?

This one

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-550-gs-power-supply,4146-3.html

Used in EVGA GS 550 and 650 and one or two others.

And It's still hard for me to believe the TDP thing, because an R3 1200 and an R7 1700 both have a 65W TDP despite being very different CPUs

True They aren't as good as they were back in the day where the "TDP" was the actual max. power consumption of a certain processor and increased with clockrate.

And then it was a bit redefined to the max power consumption with useful/commercial Software, wich is also fine and how the industry accepted and understood this value.

And then there is the modern Intel thing that goes against it...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, that is possible

This one

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-550-gs-power-supply,4146-3.html

Used in EVGA GS 550 and 650 and one or two others.

True They aren't as good as they were back in the day where the "TDP" was the actual max. power consumption of a certain processor and increased with clockrate.

And then it was a bit redefined to the max power consumption with useful/commercial Software, wich is also fine and how the industry accepted and understood this value.

And then there is the modern Intel thing that goes against it...

The GS 550 didn't use the same supervisor IC as the seasonic S12II/M12II?

On 10/20/2018 at 3:05 AM, Txe said:

Nah, he's totally fine. I ran an i5 2400, 8-16GB DDR3, and an MSI 980 Ti (takes 2 full 8 pins vs the single 8 pin my 1080s take, and asks for a 650W PSU) off a Corsair CX450M for ages. 450W is plenty for an APU. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Nah, he's totally fine. I ran an i5 2400, 8-16GB DDR3, and an MSI 980 Ti (takes 2 full 8 pins vs the single 8 pin my 1080s take, and asks for a 650W PSU) off a Corsair CX450M for ages. 450W is plenty for an APU. 

Yea PSU requierements are all over the place

but they are "to be safe" and what they mean by that is worst-case scenario, with a crappy PSU and very power hungry components

Just now, 17030644 said:

Yea PSU requierements are all over the place

but they are "to be safe" and what they mean by that is worst-case scenario, with a crappy PSU and very power hungry components

True. But the corsair CX (2017) and CXM units are solid (I have a CX450M and CX550), and usually dang cheap, so there's not much of an excuse for terrible PSUs unless you'd rather save $10 and eventually toast your hardware?

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

True. But the corsair CX (2017) and CXM units are solid (I have a CX450M and CX550), and usually dang cheap, so there's not much of an excuse for terrible PSUs unless you'd rather save $10 and eventually toast your hardware?

yes true but here in 3rd world countries a generic PSU costs like one fifth of a corsair CX PSU or even come for free with cheap cases.

Ofc the CX is a much safer PSU and a much better purchase in the long-term despite being more expensive.

those generic units have garbage inside and can't power anything but a low-end PC with an entry-level video card without blowing up so you will have to replace it eventually if you want to build yourself a decent gaming rig

Just now, 17030644 said:

yes true but here in 3rd world countries a generic PSU costs like one fifth of a corsair CX PSU or even come for free with cheap cases.

Ofc the CX is a much safer PSU

And the CX is cheaper than replacing your entire system because you cheeped out on the PSU and toasted your rig...

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

And the CX is cheaper than replacing your entire system because you cheeped out on the PSU and toasted your rig...

The CX PSUs are a great deal for builders on a budget, sadly people here in latinoamerica still believe EVGA and seasonic make the best psus, sigh

Just now, 17030644 said:

The CX PSUs are a great deal for builders on a budget, sadly people here in latinoamerica still believe EVGA and seasonic make the best psus, sigh

Seasonic has solid budget units, but most of EVGA's budget ones are oof. the G3s and such are amazing though, I have two and they're awesome. Have a Seasonic M12II Evo as well, it's really nice but a bit loud. The Focus Plus Gold I have is cooper quiet tho. ?

Damn I sound like I'm drowning in power supplies....

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Seasonic has solid budget units, but most of EVGA's budget ones are oof. the G3s and such are amazing though, I have two and they're awesome. Have a Seasonic M12II Evo as well, it's really nice but a bit loud. The Focus Plus Gold I have is cooper quiet tho. ?

Damn I sound like I'm drowning in power supplies....

lol to me it doesn't sould like that

S12II and M12II <750W are loud and have very basic protection. Besides they are old and expensive in most places

4 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

lol to me it doesn't sould like that

S12II and M12II <750W are loud and have very basic protection. Besides they are old and expensive in most places

Yep. I have the 620W Evo version, it's a good fully modular PSU, but the Focus Gold I have is better. But then my EVGA G3s are super dank. I have a 550W one, and now a 1000W one cause I needed moar power for SLI and the 1000W was only $20 more than the 850W, and I won't need to replace it till I'm like 30 cause 10 year warranty, so why not?

Main PC 

1 hour ago, 17030644 said:

The GS 550 didn't use the same supervisor IC as the seasonic S12II/M12II?

It does wich is one of the reasons its so bad...

Because it has no OCP on DC-DC modules, so you can kill those with overload.

And of course they have no UVP on +12V either...

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

It does wich is one of the reasons its so bad...

Because it has no OCP on DC-DC modules, so you can kill those with overload.

And of course they have no UVP on +12V either...

But that one is not group regulated though :)