Veeery long boot times

Origami Cactus

Full specs in my profile page, but the relevant info here:

Spoiler

Msi B450m Mortar (the newest bios 7B89vA1)

32gb(4x8) ddr4 running at 2933 cl18 19 19 38 (rated at 3600mhz cl18 19 19 38) (yes if i knew how to do it i could probably tighten them timings down)

r7 1700 at 3.8ghz 1.3625V

Win 10 pro

Kingston Ultra 2 SSD (it was carried over my previous build with no reinstall, but i only changed the mobo and ram and gpu, so cpu stayed the same)

So the problem is that it takes 30 seconds for the bios boot logo to come up, and after then to the windows log in is 10 secs, so the bios boot time is terrible.

What can i do to make it better?

707509742_biostime.PNG.6c2e23eb7dc48622f1804240abe53f1a.PNG

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

How full is your SSD? 

When did you notice the longer boot times start to occur?

There are many options that slows down POST, mostly related to memory testing in MSI BIOS. You must dig really deep sometimes. Basically - turn on MSI Fast Boot (even if not always work or if you don't use MSI Fast Boot feature in Windows - it still disables some USB detecting), disable network boot and all boot alternatives sources, disable memory checking/testing every boot (and remember about that settings if you'll change memory in the future). In OC settings you can find some settings related to testing / checking changes etc. My MSI POST after tune up is about 10-15 seconds now. I cannot get lower in MSI, because their not have Asus possibility to disable pci-e devices from being detected at start (and I have additional sata controller), but you should get about 10 seconds max.

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

turn on MSI Fast Boot

Checked in the MSI utilities page, they don't let him download Fast Boot from there, don't know if he download it from elsewhere everything would be ok.

5 minutes ago, DVA said:

How full is your SSD? 

When did you notice the longer boot times start to occur?

Ssd has 80gb(out of 450) free.

When i got the msi motherboard pretty much, but lately (maybe after the bios update?) it has become unbearable.

2 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

crapping out hdd is a cause, change to ssd  or new hdd

What do my hdds have to do with booting? I said im booting from an ssd, and i would hope it is not crapping out as it is only 3 years old, and has 15TB of host writes and 7TB of nand writes. Power on hours is 8000 hours.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

There are many options that slows down POST, mostly related to memory testing in MSI BIOS. You must dig really deep sometimes. Basically - turn on MSI Fast Boot (even if not always work or if you don't use MSI Fast Boot feature in Windows - it still disables some USB detecting), disable network boot and all boot alternatives sources, disable memory checking/testing every boot (and remember about that settings if you'll change memory in the future). In OC settings you can find some settings related to testing / checking changes etc. My MSI POST after tune up is about 10-15 seconds now. I cannot get lower in MSI, because their not have Asus possibility to disable pci-e devices from being detected at start (and I have additional sata controller), but you should get about 10 seconds max.

Ok ill try these tips.

Just now, voiha said:

Checked in the MSI utilities page, they don't let him download Fast Boot from there, don't know if he download it from elsewhere everything would be ok.

Do i need to download a program to enable a boot option? Can't i just set it in bios?

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Do i need to download a program to enable a boot option? Can't i just set it in bios?

Actually yes, there is, there is an official app too. My bad - try that and see if you'll have success. Do you experience slowdowns while in Windows in particular situations ?

Ok i messed around in bios and now my bios time is 15sec instead of 30. Now ill maybe try the msi fast boot app to boot even faster.

25 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Ok i messed around in bios and now my bios time is 15sec instead of 30. Now ill maybe try the msi fast boot app to boot even faster.

I recommend not. It's similar to fast boot in Windows and can make some problems. Enabling it in BIOS is enough.

Anyway - new MSI boards are not so fast in POST, so 15 second is probably all you can get.

Just now, homeap5 said:

I recommend not. It's similar to fast boot in Windows and can make some problems. Enabling it in BIOS is enough.

I didnt find it in bios...

13 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

I didnt find it in bios...

Good, maybe at last MSI removed that crap. Not working as expected anyway.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Good, maybe at last MSI removed that crap. Not working as expected anyway.

yeah 20sec boot time is good for me, ill rather have a stable system.

better than the minute long boot time i had before.

48 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

yeah 20sec boot time is good for me, ill rather have a stable system.

better than the minute long boot time i had before.

I'm not talking about stability, I'm talking about BIOS side of this option. I have second pc with H97 chipset and MSI Fast Boot really speed up POST. It takes 2-3 seconds (with 1 SSD, 2 HDD) to POST and after next 2 seconds it boots. Now I have Z370 and it takes 10 second to POST after tuning and no matter what I set "Fast Boot" in BIOS, POST time (and boot time) is the same, even if MSI describes that it should disable USB / other devices recognition at start. The same is on my friend B360 motherboard - long POST no matter what. And MSI Fast Boot can be enabled, disabled or whatever - it still makes full initialization at start. Of course MSI support was tragedy - I described it even in my first post on this forum.